Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford 3 Window Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gasserfreak, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well, after being moth-balled for a few years I've desided to dump all my other projects and get back onto the only one that is truly important to me. This car has been in my life as long as I can remember and has alot of sentimental value to me. You can check out the full story on this thread:

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123159

Here it is, with the two and a half inch chop my pop put on her back in the early 90's and never finished. I'd like to cut it back apart and take a little more off the top, but I've desided to keep the chop he put on it.
    [​IMG]

The flatty. I've robbed a few things off of it to get other cars running over the years, time to get it all back together again.
    [​IMG]

Bead Blasted some of my spare carb parts to put some complete ones back together.
    [​IMG]

A little paint on the small parts
    [​IMG]

Since my back window wood was a little fuct, and it needed cut down anyway, I picked up some oak pieces of the proper thickness from Lowe's and cut them down 2.5 inches to match the chop with my two buck garage sale "vintage" jig saw.
    [​IMG]

I know, not exactly the most exciting stuff right now, but I figured I'd share with the HAMB brothers and sisters and start a new build thead to keep me on track.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Pffft. That car's awesome. Good luck to you.

3. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

read your previous thread, good on you. i too lost my dad with a family project in the garage. good luck with your build

4. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Sweet ride! You will be happy to finish this one.

5. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Truly a warming story.... Good luck with the ressurection of the Coupe and please keep us posted on your progress!

HC.

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I'd leave the chop alone too, stay with it, will love to see it when you're driving it.

7. flamed34

flamed34

That, sir, is one awesome project. Definitely worth all of your focus. The fact that it was your father's project makes it all the more important to get it finished.
    Best of Luck

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

great looking car...keep dad's chop like you are planning

9. rokcrln

rokcrln

Nice car and great back ground story (short of your Dad passing) and yes the chop needs to stay just how it is so some day you can tell your kids this is how Grand Dad did it! Keep plugging away on it and it will get their in no time.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

10. Yes..deserving of your full attention. Good luck with your build.

11. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Great looking coupe, make your Dad happy and build it with his plans....It is a treasure for sure!

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good on you for keeping the chop that your dad started. A 2 1/2"-3" chop on an '33-'34 coupe is perfect. The latest trend of chopping the crap out of everything on 4 wheels has left a lot of cars undrivable and ugly IMO.

Frank

13. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

The chop looks perfect to me. That car is a keeper for sure! Whatever you got rid of to concentrate on this one was well worth it.

14. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

you are a lucky man,good luck

15. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I was wondering what happened to this one, having seen your earlier thread.
    It is a great project to have! I'm sure you know how lucky you are.

16. hasty

hasty

Thats a beautiful car, and just the right chop for fenders.

17. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks for the kind words and encouragment everybody. I know this isn't some "Rock Star" Hot Rod, just a guy, and his car, in the garage. Anyway, nothing super exiciting to show off today, just a whole lot of work, with very little "WOW" factor.

The Wife snuck up on me and snapped a couple picks right after I pulled the gas tank cover off.
    [​IMG]

Trying to get the tank bolts out, so I can take it down to the radiator shop and have it cleaned out tommorrow.
    [​IMG]

Several hours and a few broken bolts and screws later the tanks' ready for cleaning. I had to hammer a screwdriver into the locking gas cap, and break out all the tumblers. I had the key, but the mechanism inside had siezed many moons ago.
    [​IMG]

Alas, with the tank out of the way, I pulled the rear spring, and broke it down so I can send the main leaf to 296 V8 with my axle to have it reversed. Tommorrows mission, get the front axle out, broke down, and ready for shipment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  18. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Nice progress..... People often forget about the laborious and dirty aspects of building/restoring a Hot Rod- in particular, one that's been sitting for so long!

Keep at it, and the rewarding aspects will follow.

HC.

jetman and fnjunk like this.
  19. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Good looking car.. Awful lot lot like my coupe/family history... Good luck with the build... Have fun!!

20. Mickm

Mickm

Awesome car! I love your story about the car and how it became so special to your family.
    Enjoy the time you have working on it and know your dad is smiling down on you as you do.
    Cheers!

21. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks again for all the kind words and encouragment to everyone. Well, I got a bit done today, but not quit as much as I was hoping for. Took the tank to the radiator shop down in Escondido.

While I was there I stopped by my favorite auto parts store, C&G Early Ford Parts, and the relieved me of some scratch. Then headed over to Harbor Freight to take advantage of their 20% off Presidents day sale, and Grabbed a Plate(Biscuit) Joiner for the door pillars when I cut them down.
    [​IMG]

Got home, and before working, I had to get my mess from the past couple days of thrashing cleaned up, then proceded to tear my front end apart. I've got everything off but the axle itself(Was hoping to have that done today).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One last note, I picked up a new Battery and if your building a 1933-34' and want to keep it in the stock location, and mount it with the stock hardware, A Group 34 Battery is as close as your gonna get in 12v(that I have found at least) to the original 1933-34' Battery.

22. fonti

fonti

wow - great car, great story...
    I would also leave the chop as it was, looks good and "keeps the soul" like it was then.
    good luck to you with the "rest" of the build!!!

23. Richard Head

Richard Head

Glad to see this one getting attention again. Maybe it will motivate me to get back on my 33 3 window project.

Dave

24. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Hey Drew, Great story and I hope you fullfill your intention to bring it back. Losing my DAD, I feel your compassion. Good Luck!!!

25. 1959apache

1959apache

I am jealous.. beautiful and exactly how I would want one if I was in your position, don't change a thing

26. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words. Not a whole lot in the way of the "cool factor" for updates, but I want too keep this post rolling, having something to post up helps keep me motivated. Anyway, my axle, spindles, and springs are out getting dropped, I'm hoping I can get some picures of the process for my scrapbook and this post, but in the meantime I've been working on the tedious stuff. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Got a Carb done.
    [​IMG]

Working on fitting the back window wood.
    [​IMG]

Back window will need to be finished after I get the door posts and package tray in.
    [​IMG]

Got my new front tires mounted, they're firestone 135's (I know I'm not real big on radials, but I got both of these from performance tire out of long beach at the Big 3 for less than one 16" Bias Ply, and money IS an issue right now). I have 215's and 235's on my 56' effie that will get swipped depending on which will look best in the rear.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday my friend Lance(the guy who built the car last time back in the 60's) came buy to help me get the door posts fitted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Door Post and header thus far. I'm hoping to have the drivers side finished today.
    [​IMG]

27. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well, I haven't spent alot of time in the garage in the past couple weeks, but I got a big package in the mail yesterday, so I guess It's time to get hot again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Looking good! You are building my dream car

29. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Very cool car !

30. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman