Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Went to grandmas house, came home with a 29 Model A coupe!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Do I spy a Model B water pump on the running board? Is the engine a Model B (fuel pump on front passenger side of block)? If it is, you scored even bigger time! Just hoping for the best for you.

2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I'm banger illiterate (for now, I DO plan on learning everything I can!) Does the 4 blade fan signify a Model B engine? If so, there was one on the running board, and one on the engine. But the engine does not have a fuel pump.

3. Great score! The four blade fan does not signify a model B engine. It has an A head and appears to be an A engine. Have fun with it.

4. flatout51

flatout51

awesome! This is a special coupe! The top is supposed to look that way its cloth top went all the way below the rear window. It just looks to need a vinyl top!

5. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

try bill haberer at bills model acres ford farm 570-538-3200 he has barns full of model as and parts i think he just got a sport coupe in with those parts you need they were brazed on at some point and not correct for the car...tell him kevin mcquown sent you he'll fix you up

6. trifiveshawn

trifiveshawn
    from Ohio

Awsome man. Get a some black and white pics of you and her and give to her

7. Mercchev

Mercchev

Cool story. I lived in Hanford for years...Take her to Superior Dairy, downtown Hanford!

8. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

I had 4 girls,no interested in my junk.Going to leave all to Grandson,only 5yr but when iam out there ,hes right with me.Loves to just set in them and drive.You have a wonderfull gramma

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Great things Happen to Great People, Congrats Josh! Rocky

10. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

You know that car REALLY belongs back here in Tennessee, right? Just kidding, great story and awesome car. It is a Special Coupe and like said before, the top is supposed to look like that. It was covered with vinyl. I see the drip rails are off too. Need to ask her if they are hanging around somewhere. Very hard to find.

Cool ride, keep us posted....

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Fantastic!

Nick.

12. The situation and facts are as cool as the score. Congrats Hamb'er

13. kisam

kisam

I love stories like this! Congrats, I know you will take good care of it! I will be waiting for Rootbeer Float pictures!

14. big bad john

big bad john

.....Thanks for sharing a great story about grandma and the coupe.....hope when you finish it....you will remember her everytime you drive it.....

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great family story. Great pics. Great car!

Looking forward to the progress on this one. Congrats.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

great story! I'm sure she'll be a ball of tears when you take her for her first drive in it when you're done! My grandmother had a 49 Plym as a teenager and when she first laid eyes on our 50 plym going down the road...she just lit right up. enjoy!

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Grandmas are the best. After my favorite grandfather passed away I approached my Grandma about his 1948 8N Frod tractor. I had driven it about a million miles growing up and I had always had visions of it being mine some day. She said everyone in the family had asked her about it and she didn't want to appear to play favorites. So I said sell it to me and no one can argue with that. $100 later it was mine and she told everyone that I offered her so much for it she coudn't turn it down and she knew no one else would match what I offered..........she's still is my favorite Grandma.:cool::)

Frank

18. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Just don't waste too much time on anything not absolutely essential to getting it back on the road-so you'll be able to take her for that root beer float. Far too many projects like this start with an over abundance of excitement and enthusiasm and quickly find themselves mired in dust and inattention. She won't be around forever.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very cool car and grandma!

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Shoot us some pictures after you get it washed up and alittle wax on the paint. May clean up pretty well. I am not big on "rusty patina" but this may clean up well and reflect the history that it has.

Nice looking car as it is. Like you said, the purple grows on you.

Neal

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  21. patman

patman

Gotta love that spare tire...smooth as a baby's butt...

22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Awsome! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. Car looks great just like it is.

23. Freeland

Freeland

[​IMG]

After the root beer float... throw those mattresses back on there and head out to Yosemite...

Awesome!

24. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great stpry, and thats a really nice car, glad to hear your plans are to keep it simple.

25. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

+ 1 on Superior Dairy Creamery for the root beer float..

Great atmosphere and the BEST ice cream in the state IMO.
    Dave

26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

A rootbeer float,prime rib dinner,movie,dancing,and a cruise!!!Great family story.Lucky guy.

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

COOL, Thanks Granny !! Get to work on it so you can fulfill the promise to take Granny for a float. Nice rod in the garage by the way.

28. rfranks

rfranks
    from Lemoore,CA

Josh,
    Thanks for letting me droul over it in the garage with you yesterday. I can't wait to help you get her back on the open road.

29. Wow this is one of those one in a million stories, clean it up leave the patina, make it look just like "Grandpa had it" an take Grandma out for a long ride, humm maybe to Yosemite........................Great story that will only get better................

30. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Haha, of course!! Thats the home of the best ice cream EVER!!!!

Thanks everyone, I do plan on doing as little as possible just to get it running so I can take her out and make good on my promise. She did tell me to paint it later on, she said "Henry said you can have any color as long as it's black."

I will look around for ther drip rails next time I'm there. The original wheels are in the barn, I just didn't have enough room to bring them home last night.
    I did find a grille shell in the barn, it's not a Ford shell, but she told me to take it anyway.

Also, the plot thickens....
    Since they had to stuff so many kids in the Model A, they picked up a junk 32 sedan for the body they were going to add to the coupe frame for more room. Well, that never happened and that body sat beside the barn for about 25 years and she sold it to a guy at church... for $500! :eek: She said it had been brush painted so thick that the steel was fresh and new once the paint was gone. I was a year too late to inherit the body too...