Register now to get rid of these ads!

134 willys motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Qparker, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Qparker

Qparker

Pulled the little 4 banger out of my willys jeep a couple weeks ago and finally found time to tear into it. Found the reason it was smoking~ #3 cylinder has some scrapes, and the valve guides were fairly worn. still ran and sounded good, just smoked bad when cold then only smoked at idle when warm. (past idle I think I just out ran it [​IMG] ) will tear into the bottom end tomorrow, hopefully it's good, but I figure I may as well completely go through it seems how it's out. it'll probably need .020 over on all cylinders, and new valve guides, not sure on valves yet, haven't really checked them.

It's amazing how they built engines in the 40's, the rods look like they came from a diesel (they're around 7-8" long) and the stroke is huge- something like 4.25" with a pretty small bore-3.5 or so, definately under square

It was backed by the original 3spd manual in the jeep (a '52 cj5) it's all original.

I kind of broke the carburetor off in the bed of the truck, I have an old rebuilt 216 carb on the shelf and was wondering if it would work. not looking for power increases, just a replacement that may be better than stock. I could pretty easily modify it to fit on the stock intake if it would run right...

Tom on stoveboltengineco sells a holley-weber progressive 2bbl:

http://stoveboltengineco.com/index.p...roduct=1681888

and a pair of carter webers:

http://stoveboltengineco.com/index.p...roduct=1222026

would either work? how about the rochester from the 216? not too many carbs still in production for a little jeep motor. (don't want to "over carb it")

[​IMG]

2. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

is your engine the f head? that means the intake valves are in the head and the exhaust valves are in the block. these engines used the carter yf carburater. believe it or not some chevy 216 used this carburater. just need to do a little comparing

3. Qparker

Qparker

mine is the L head, or Flathead. I talked to Tom Langdon (Stovebolt) and he recommended either of the carbs, the two carters if I wanted to run a dual carb setup or the single Holley-Weber if I wanted a single carb. The 216 carb is still tempting because I have it, but it was rebuilt quite a while ago and would need probably need to be gone thru again.

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Do you wont a bigger carb for more power or is it because you can't find the a good used jeep carb that fits. I would use two jeep carbs

5. BJR

BJR

A 1952 Willys Jeep is a CJ3A not a CJ5.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Carter YF works well on these....

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is a picture of a stock intake manifold from a Willy like yours that I turned over and opened up the heat riser hot spot. I also made the necessary mods to bolt the thing on upside down and included the header flange. Now the owner can run a larger single bbl. Or a two bbl. maybe two carbs or a small four bbl. Up to you. You could do the same or I would do yours for $40.00 + shipping.

Attached Files:

8. Qparker

Qparker

RichFox, I hadn't thought about that. That's alot bigger than the stock setup. Do you just use the old carb spot for exhaust heat?

BCCHOPIT, I'm looking for a replacement that may add a little power, MPG's, ect. over stock. I think the holley webber progressive 2bbl will be the way to go, just because it's progressive and probably flows about the right cfm's for the 4 banger.

BJR, I'm aware of that, I should say the title says '52, the jeep is around a '54-'56. I just learned that yesterday. It's for sure a cj5 with the rounder fenders.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

That engine supposedly first appeared in a 1929 Whippet car.Then became ,with some mods,the Jeep Go Devil and the later Hurricane F head.
    I rebuilt the F head engine in the my avatar Willys truck this winter.Kinda expensive for 71 hp.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

11. Qparker

Qparker

Does anyone know if these are like the Straight sixes where if no intake heat is present they ice up in the intake runners? if so Could I simply use water heat like the aftermarket six cyl intakes?

12. Qparker

Qparker

RichFox, I took a closer look at your pic, you're tapping the runners for? How much did you have to mod the intake for it to fit upside down?

13. If all else fails, a Buick odd fire V6 fits in nicely. Advance adapters carries the swap goodies. Does your Jeep have the twin stickshifts? My son used to bet guys that he could climb the hill that they couldn`t in their full size 4x4`s, with 5.38 gears and low range, he made a fair bit of beer money in High School.

14. Qparker

Qparker

The 134 won't be scrapped unless I turn out to have a cracked block, even then I'd try to look for another stock motor. The rest of this jeep is original, so I'll keep the engine that way. But you're right, the little v6's look right at home in the cj's.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The owner wanted to mount a small blower on the manifold. The holes I was tapping were for fuel injection nozzles that he may or may not end up using. Other than cutting the bottom out of the hot spot on the manifold there was no other mods to the manifold. I had to make adapters to allow for the offset of the bolt holes when the manifold was turned upside down, and the header flange that the adapters bolted to. PS as you can see I am in Calif. We don't need manifold heaters here. Maybe not true in Alaska

16. Qparker

Qparker

cool, a hotrod willys! Is he running some kind of centrifugal supercharger? depending on boost pressures he may want to use the holes for water/meth injection... or possibly propane? I'll look at mine and decide for sure though.

california vs. Alaska... -40below vs. 40above... LOL we just got 8-10 inches of snow nearly over night this week!

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

He kept changing what he was going to do and I kind of lost interest. It's supposed to snow here tomorrow. First time since '76. In '76 I call 911 to report white stuff falling from the sky. I now understand that is what is called snow.