Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TommyA19

TommyA19

The Joe Barzda stretched Midget

[​IMG]

This was a copy and paste. Hey, I'm learning!

2. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

3. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

There have been a couple of recent funny stories, here, and on the vintage sprint car thread, about various racers, rebuilding and working on engines and car parts in their Motel rooms.
    One of our family classics is my Dad's tale of how he finally "left the nest."
    Just before WWII, he was finishing up the first midget racer that he ever built. He was living at home with his parents, at the time. They went on a short Winter vacation, and he decided he could finish it up faster, if he could work at home, nice and warm, and through the nights. They lived in a five or six story high apartment building in the Bronx...on the ground floor, with living room and bedroom windows about four foot high from the ground. He went over to his small rented unheated, wooden, one car garage, broke the car down to individual frame, body & running gear parts, and with some friends help, loaded them all through my grandparents bedroom window. Pushed most of the furniture into the next room and spent about two weeks working on the car, fitting and re-fitting etc, until it was nearly finished. Of course, they came home a few days earlier than expected and my Grandfather, seeing this midget race car in their bedroom, "Threw him out of the house," amidst great wailing from my Grandmother. Needing a steady income to support a rental abode of his own, he used his mechanical skills to get a job as the sole mechanic at a huge Lingerie factory, across the bridge, in New Jersey, fixing all the ladies' sewing machines. Poor Dad, stuck in a huge building with hundreds of young ladies, in a building full of lingerie, no other men around , many of the "girls' either offering batches of ladies wear for his girlfriends, themselves or trying to fix him up with their daughters!
    In this photo, you can see the nearly finshed midget sitting in the room, with the fake fireplace and mantel on the right, and the apartment house steam and return pipes in the left corner of my grandparent's room..
    [​IMG]

4. tractorguy

tractorguy

TommyA19.......thanks a bunch for the two great pictures of the Ritter Elto midget. Next trip back to my shop in Iowa, I will be giving my basket case a real close look and trying to find similarities if at all possible. I my also get back to contacting the previous junk yard owner of my midget by the Detroit Airport and dig up some history. Thanks again

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

Surfref.......thanks for your help in loading the pictures for TommyA19.

6. TommyA19

TommyA19

Rather ironic
    On this date, February 16th, two former race drivers passed away. Russ Klar in 2005 and Jerry Karl in 2008. Both were former ARDC drivers.

Notice the spelling of their last names - same four letters.

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I knew them both ... both people that I was glad I knew.

BTW .. Russ Klar always said .... 'I didn't retire. I'm looking for a ride!!!'

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I'm surpised he didn't post this himself.

RABs32 (Rich) eMailed me that former TQ, midget & sprint car driver and contributor here .. BILLY COURTWRIGHT (racerbillyc) fell off a ladder while on a job he was doing.

The result .. a fractured hip (which he had surgery for) and a dislocated shoulder. Rich has spoken to him and it seems that Billy is resting easily and paying close attention to the cute nurses.

Billy is in the Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick, NJ and the last word that Rich had is that Billy should probably go home on Saturday, for the three R's .. Rest, Relaxation and Recuperation!!

We older racers heal slow .. so as soon as I have some contact info on Billy I'll pass it along, so 'ya can cheer his healing on.

I'd also bet that as soon as he's comfortable enough at home, he'll be checking in here too .. to help pass the time .. so maybe in the meantime, wish him well here too.

OH!!! .... Bob Cicconi eMailed me that rather than climbing ladders for a living, maybe Billy should have been doing something a lot safer ..... driving race cars!!!! :)

9. Buildy

Buildy

Billy C.,

Sorry to hear of your fall and injury. Hope you heal quickly!

10. Buildy

Buildy

Originally Posted by TommyA19
    "Rather ironic
    On this date, February 16th, two former race drivers passed away. Russ Klar in 2005 and Jerry Karl in 2008. Both were former ARDC drivers.

Notice the spelling of their last names - same four letters."

I never realized they both passed away on the same date.
    Not only that,Russ was a big help getting Jerry started in Open cockpit racing. He actually sold Jerry a midget that had been sitting in Russ`s back yard for years. It was an old Pre war rail job with a flathead Ford. It wasn`t much,but it got him racing in ARDC. Russ was a real friend,giving advice on driving, etc.
    Jerry and Russ and our families remained friends for life.

I miss both of them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  11. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Guys,Ive been busy with my day job and my custom painting business,here's an update Billy,told me he was working at a construction site and the 10 foot ladder he was working on jumped the cushion an he went for a ride and told me that if the ladder had a cage on it he would have walked away (LOL)..Tried calling him this morning for an update but no answer.....Rich

12. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Happy Birthday Buildy !!!

13. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Happy Birthday Tony!

14. Buildy

Buildy

Thanks very much,guys!

15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Happy Birthday Tony !!!!

16. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Well guys I have been reading and looking at all the pages on this thread. I wasn’t around or I should say Cant remember that long ago Ha Ha. Was going threw some of my stuff. Some came off A couple other sights, And some that I have. If any one wants to look? Thanks, Tom

Attached Files:

17. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Get well Billy!!! I think Billy drove half the cars in my barn when they were competetive.

18. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

Back in the early 60 Sherman Cleavland was in BCRA his car
    was called "Sherman's Tank" who owned that car ?
    here is a picture bobjeffreson posted on the sprint page
    of him in Australia

Attached Files:

19. BILL C

BILL C

Johnny Ritter and others.

Attached Files:

20. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Are You refering to the Tank once owned by one of the Goff Bros then by Jimmy Montgomery, the car in this picture looks to be the same one?
    Here is another angle of the car you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see it.
    http://justmidgets.homestead.com/HancockBWP4.html

I am pretty sure it is the old Goff Bros Tank.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  21. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

Yea I was going to guess Moe Goff, mighty Mike MaGreevy
    used to drive for him also.

22. gearguy

gearguy

Moe #69:
    Bill Krueger is a HAMB member. Perhaps he can add context to that photo. Car builder Max Riechenbach became his father-in-law & the family has a restored car.
    The Vogler Ferguson interests me. I've pinged a couple guys who might know something about the cars Don Vogler, Rich's dad, drove.
    Thanks for posting those photos!

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

23. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Here are A couple of Don.

Attached Files:

24. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Couple more of Cleveland and Tattersall in Sydney....

Introductions.....

[​IMG]

Have a bit of fun during practice......

[​IMG]

25. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

[​IMG]

This is an early 50's Midget we have on loan at the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame Museum where I work. This is 2006 Inductee, Jimmy Baker's car. A neat fact is that before Jimmy would prepare for races at the Peach Bowl Speedway in Atlanta, he would drive the car blind-folded at full speed as a stunt for spectators!!:eek:

-Cody

26. G.Evitt

G.Evitt

Having followed this thread since day 1, I guess it is time I made a contribution. I know there have been a few posts on New Zealand cars, but I will try and add to those with photos from back in the day, and of current restored cars as I get some time.

Some recent good news for the NZ scene has been the return of the #58 Trevor Morris Edmunds to NZ. This car has been discussed on here in previous posts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two cars that are recent imports to NZ from the USA, the Kurtis Offy came here about 5 years ago in bits and has been finished and running for about a year
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This V860 Edmunds or Edmunds copy I understand has only been in NZ a matter of weeks and got its first run at the Auckland Vintage Speedway track at Meremere last Sunday. Anybody recognise the car?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, I remember Danny Kladis At the Joliet Stadium. We use to go down to the fence while they would tape two silver dollars over his eyes then blindfold him. Then he would run around the track and he would put his foot into it! Then if that wasn’t crazy enough. One and only time and the last time it was done. Danny and George Kladis taped silver Dollars over there eyes and blind folded. They ran in opposite directions and once again they put there foot in it! I don’t know how they did it, Because as A kid I ran down there to make sure they weren’t cheating? It was “CRAZY” stuff you won see anything like that again. If you know the Stadium it is all “wall & curb"
    This is Danny Kladis in of one Bob Lockards cars.
    "Chalk up another win for Bob."

Attached Files:

28. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

29. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

30. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT