Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Pickers just picked my buddy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29sportcoupe, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I won't miss it. I sure prefer it over the drama crap like Choppers, Jersey, and that stuff.
    I don't know what it would take to please some of the guys on here. Jealousy is an ugly thing.

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I agree totally!

3. tubby44

tubby44
    from Long Beach

Even my wife watches the show with me, she hates all the drama and stuff of the other shows

4. Old Heap

Old Heap

I like the show, also enjoy Pawn Stars. Guess it's my attraction to old unmolested stuff.

5. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Great story and I enjoy the show too. Too bad Danielle doesn't go on more picks, she's easy on the eyes!

6. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Absolutly my favorite show. I did wonder how they could find so many big time hoarders,just by driving around. I also knew their van could not hold all the stuff they bought. The time they bought the Plymouth coupe,I knew they payed too much for it,to make any money on it.

7. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I dig the show and always watch it, set up or not its good stuff to watch during the week. My wife is a small time picker since she make a living on Ebay selling stuff from yard sales. I can relate.

8. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I agree, That tattoo always gets my eyes where they should be.

Hot stuff!! :D

9. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Monday nights are one of my favorite TV times. 8 PM to 9 PM antique road show,where the wife and I have a contest on who can guess closer to the items worth. She usually cleans my clock. Then American pickers then two episodes of pawn stars.

Pickers is definitely setup for the meet and greet. Most people would look concerned if a camera crew showed up at your door, on the show no one even notices the camera. I think after that, judging by the owners reaction, it's genuine. Good entertainment.

I know this is a hot rod form ( well most of the time) but there's a lot of similarities between restoring old cars and these kind of shows. It's something in our DNA in all us HAMBers. I get the same excitement, actually a rush at swap meets.

10. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

i watch it all the time but you know its all set up before hand. i get a kick out of seeing the old caddy in front of the barn while they drive on down the road, as i live about 10 miles from where it sits.

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Tattoo, what tattoo?:rolleyes:

12. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

What the hell is a snookie anyways?

13. Of all the shows currently out there dealing with auctions, pawn,etc this is my least favorite , the cast comes off as trying to rip off the unwary .

14. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

what he said x2!!!

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a fat ass bitch. As far as Pickers, I watch and like the show. It's my understanding that Frank has his own shop separate from Mike's

16. Mojo

Mojo

I used to not like it because of that same reason, it was like they were proud they were taking people for a ride. But after a few shows, I see that they don't do that well either on some stuff. Plus, the prices at the end are "valued", what they think they're worth... not what they've actually got out of them. Ultimately, they're trying to make a living on reselling old stuff, and that can't be too easy.

17. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I wonder why some people sell their stuff so cheap, but nobody is forcing them. It's not much different as going to a swap meet and finding that elusive ,rare part you just bought for $10 bucks.

18. As I had commented on another thread on "Pickers", I think they have been told in advance: some of these cars are NOT for sale! Otherwise, How could they not know these old cars are worth money, and make an offer on them? It is also one of my wife's and my favorite shows, due in part to the way they get along with each other. I really enjoy seeing the stuff these guys that they pick from's hoards and collections! :eek:

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well they pretty much bit the big one on that 39 Plymouth Frank had to have. It was a 40 and, and they paid way to much for it. Then sold it for just a bit more.

Did you ever notice a lot uf stuff they unearth shows up on Pawn Kings????

Juke Box, Giant training firearms, and a candy vending machine come to mind.

Then the back pack military flame thrower from Pawn Kings, shows up on the program where they restore weapons. Its all pretty much smoke and mirrors to sell TV time.

Wonder what they get paid per episode.

As far as leads go, they apparently get 1200 to 1500 emails a day offering sites to be picked.

Its like Junkyard wars where things started out relatively real, then it became obvious that stuff was being seeded in the yard for the episode. Like patinaed chainsaw motors, and just the right jetski, and wheels and tires the are just what is needed.

Take it for what it is, 44 minutes of etertaining fluff.

No offense to the flks who enjoy it or to the folks making the show, after all its their jubs and they gotta pay thier bills.

20. On more than one show I have seen the guys telling the seller that the item price that the seller wants is the going retail price therefore they need to buy at a lower price. They also frequently tell the seller that they are in the business to make money. Imagine that.....

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

As much as we tell ourselves we wouldn't buy something too cheap, I see it all the time here and other places. How many times does someone here post about the car they bought for a rediculously low price? If we're all so honest and fair, there'd never be a post describing our great deals.
    I try to watch Pickers without thinking too much about the prices paid, or what they think it will sell for. Take it as entertainment and just relax.

22. chop32

chop32

The other day I read that Danielle is a long time friend of Mikes, and when the show came about, he thought of her as his shop person, so its quite possible that she is also a prop for the show.

Staged or not, the show is entertaining!

23. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

It's TV...That's why there's an off switch and so many other channels.

24. agtw31

agtw31

hasn't any of these people heard of ebay?

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

Thanks for the post. It pretty much matches what others have said their experience has been. Most undertand it's not as random as they make it out to be but yeah, I watch it all the time. It is amazing the stuff they seem to walk right past that I would be all over but Mike does seem to know his two wheel stuff and anyone that knows it as well as he seems to has to be O.K.

It's fun to try and guess what their offer will be before hand also. I've bought and sold for 20 years and would love to do what they are doing. My last decent pick. (It's hard to find the hoarders)

[​IMG]

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

well the I think its a great show just for the entertainment. I mean c,mon, the helicopter shots gives us a reality check right there. Some the stuff they pay way too much for, and ya I get flustered when they pass up a duece in the corner with nary a word. also they get along together, just little things they bag on each other about for realism, not all that drama BS we saw on some of them builders shows. And Daniel! have you checked out that chick! Shes a real go getter, self sufficient woman, has her own Burlesque show, and other things in the fire. would love to see her at some of the car shows ggg. hey pure entertainment. at least to me.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  27. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've never seen it, although I've got a buddy who says I should. I probably don't even have the station... hahaha.

However, I do like watching all the stuff Zach Suhr finds in the shop he bought, which is pretty much stacked to the ceiling... that's reality. Once in a while he'll post up some amazing hot rod items that were crammed/tossed into a box and forgotten about for years.

28. This is the best shot I cold find for you old tattoo perverts...

Attached Files:

29. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I've known them for years from the motorcycle biz. Mike is very funny and going a mile a minute. He has a house in TN. also.He got a killer deal on a 32 five window recently. He actually gave the guy twice what he was asking! He got real enthused after seeing my 32. It might look like fun on TV but it is lots of miles of dry holes. The crew is behind the curtain the in van.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

You'd be surprised how many people know nothing of or have no wish to have anything to do with computers. Lots of people will only deal face to face and in cash. To them, if it ain't cash in hand, it ain't real.

I work in an IT group and my old manager, who retired last year, didn't have a home computer until about 2 year ago. The only reason he even got one is that it's pretty much the only way he could access and manage his retirement benefits.

Plus, you sell something on Ebay, the world, including the IRS, knows about it. You make a cash deal in person, and it's between you and the other person.

Kurt O.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.