Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 FE question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slammed_66, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Slammed_66

Slammed_66

I have a Model A RPU and it has a 65 ford 352FE with a cast iron 3spd. Is there a way to adapt a T5 to that bell housing with out haveing to spend the $550 on a aftermarket bullet proof bellhousing? Does somebody sell a adapter plate or would I need to make one.

2. 73RR

73RR

I'm thinking that the input shaft length is the same or damned close so you should only have to deal with the front bearing diameter vs hole in bell and mounting bolts.
    Do a trial fit after you deal with the registration.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The Ford T5's use the same bolt pattern as the mid to late 60's top loader 4 spds. You should have no trouble finding a FE to Top loader bellhousing at your local salvage yard for a lot less money then SFI rated Lakewood or Quicktime bellhousing. However, the money spent on the SFI bellhousing will seem well worth it if your flywheel or clutch ever lets go.

Good Luck

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The T5 does not share a boltpattern with the Ford T&C Toploader transmission of the '60s.
    I don't know that I'd recommend a T5 behind an FE to begin with, but if you must have a T5, there are plenty of T5-to-toploader adapters for the early mustang crowd out there and, yes, an FE-to-toploader bellhousing should be easy enough to find...you want a 65-up.

5. boutlaw

boutlaw

i'm putting a T-5 behind a FE390 in a 31 coupe. Go to the Riley automotive website. He sells the adapter plates. The adapter plate will have to be milled in 4 places to clear the bearing retainer bolt heads, but otherwise it fits OK. I used a FE truck bellhousing. PM me if you want additional info. Nobody reccommends a T-5 behind an FE, but I'm banking on the lightness of the car and NOT bang shifting the tranny making this a workable combination.

6. boutlaw

boutlaw

one other thing..the top loader tranny input shaft is and inch or so shorter than the
    T-5 , so you MUST have the adapter (spacer) to make the T-5 fit the FE bellhousing and its input shaft engage the flywheel pilot bearing the proper depth.
    PM me about Riley Automotive...

7. I used a 63 bellhousing with a gm T-5 and everything fit, input shaft length, bearing retainer, even the mount ended up in the stock location. The only mod i had to do was weld some small 1/2 pieces on the sides for the bolts, as the bell is thin and did not have enough threads for my liking.

8. urslo

urslo

I bought an adapter from Wilcap

9. 48prerunner

48prerunner
    from ny

So the gm t-5 bolted up to the ford bell? no adapter?

10. texcruzzer

texcruzzer

bout law, how is that T5 working out behind the FE? I'm thinking about doing a similar drive train in my '27 Touring. BTW, small irony, I have a 65 Mustang 2+2 blue with white Shelby stripes. I noticed the Mustang coupe in your ID pic. Also Promotion has T5 upgrade kits that supposedly handle 500HP, that should handle most 390's.

11. vivid2012

vivid2012

how much do u pay for it?

12. I have been running a t 5 in my 64 f 100 behind a warmed over 390 for a couple of years now without a problem.I took the front input shaft out of the transmission and took it to a machine shop and had them grind it to the proper length.Because the shaft is hardened it must be ground.the machinest set it up in a lathe with a stone which was on a motor of it's own ,set up on the tool holder, and in 1/2 an hour and 60.00 later my tranny slid right in place.The input shaft slides right out after you take the bearing coller off the tranny .measure your original output shaft and make the t 5 the same thanks good luck joe mac

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. fatcathp

fatcathp
    from Montana

So.. I constantly hear about A T-5 not holding up to a 390 or such FE. I Built A T-5 With WORLD CLASS parts. I had a stroked 351 to 393 cubic inches. was pushing 500 plus HP and 450 lbs. of torque .. The T-5 is good transmission. Not everyone with a FE is looking to Run "9's" so an FE.... I'm doing it. STOP discouraging such a adaptable transmission ..

gimpyshotrods likes this.