Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some advice for my coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupedup, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Coupedup

Coupedup
    from Berea Ohio

Ok guys I was hoping you can give me some direction. I built a 32 Ford fiberglass body car. It is time to attempt to do the interior. My problem is I need to install wood first to have something to attach an interior to. It has wood around the two quarter windows and the rear window but no where else. What did you use (type of wood). How did you attach it? What about the headliner? Any help would be greatly apperciated.

2. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Try using "liquid nail" (Home Depot, Lowe's) on a scrap piece of fiberglass and pine wood to see if that will hold the two together.
    Can you cut a piece of wood and form it to fit from point A to point B ?

3. swifty

swifty

What sort of framework supports your glass body? If there is only wood around the two quarter windows and the rear window how do you support your door hinges, latches etc?

Glass bodies made by the Australian manufacturers are fully steeled out and have no wood at all. The steel frame is located so that you can attach your interior to the framework.

4. Cat-bird

Cat-bird
    from NWPa.

Model-A wood kits are made from oak ash and maple. I would only use a hardwood. Ash is probably the easyist to work with.

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

If you are trying to attach wood to a fiberglass body I suggest using hardwood plywood (stay away from the MDF core) and laying up fiberglass over the top of it. I would not use liquid nails...

6. tinmann

tinmann

Sounds pretty damn ambitious....... got any pics?? How about pics of the body construction??

7. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

8. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Used 1" square steel tubing in my Panel Truck. Added a great deal of strength to the body. Those press in fasteners were used to secure the upholstery. We built the frame work, upholstery shop did the rest.:D

9. Coupedup

Coupedup
    from Berea Ohio

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's a couple pictures of the car. The first is after I got the chassis done with the body mounted back on before I did body work. The other two pictures is how it looks now. It's drivable just gotta do the interior

body back on frame 010.jpg

Finished Product 022.jpg

Finished Product 028.jpg

10. tinman, I dont think he built the actual body per say, I think he meant to say he built a fiberglassed bodied car:D

11. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

safe to say if he had built his own fiberglass body he wouldn't be asking how to attach interior wood....

use a hardwood and fiberglass it in, not that complicated but can be messy, liquid nails is a pretty bad idea i would think

12. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

Glass or not, that's pretty damn cool.

Greg

13. Tripple G

Tripple G

Hey Coupedup in Berea,
    Good looking 5 window. Who's fiberglass body did you buy? Regarding the interior - Stay away from the liquid nails. Your best bet is fiberglass bondo. Use it liberally, yes it's messy, but when it dries, it will hold forever. Just make sure the wood is where you want it before it dries. As far as the wood ... my body came with kiln dried poplar. It was around the rear quarters, rear window, and in the ceiling, but not much. I had to double up on everything and also put "bows" in the ceiling to help with a sagging area in the roof line of the body. The headliner actually gets tacked to the wood in the ceiling. I also put a package tray below the rear window. My body had 3/4" square tubing, and again, not much. I added to that as well. Many brackets for various things have been attached to that tubing. The interior door panels, kick panels, etc. will all be made out of 1/8" "Baltic" Birchwood plywood. Some people also use Luan, Masonite, or upholstery board. I've attached a few photographs to give you some ideas.
    Tripple G in New Philly

Attached Files:

14. Coupedup

Coupedup
    from Berea Ohio

Thank You for the great pictures Tripple G. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. The body is from Blackies Rods in Newton Falls Ohio. I have a small amount of 1" tubing inside also. (maybe i need to add more to it) The wood that is in my car looks like it's held in place with some duraglass. Someone had told me to use liquid nails but I like the idea of the fiberglass bondo. Thanks Again

15. HankAz

HankAz

Any updates on this thread????

16. Angusmoomoo

Angusmoomoo

Tripple G...I love you man, this is what I needed!!!!!!