Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dark Blue Paint Schemes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nwaringa, Feb 18, 2011.

1. nwaringa

nwaringa

I did a search and it didn't come up with much. I have seen some amazing ones in posts of the past but can't dig them up. I will be painting in the next few months and working toward a dark dark blue, red, and white wall scheme. I need some paint inspiration... please provide any pics you got.

2. bobjob55

bobjob55

are you going to paint that truck in your album ?? put your picture on photoshop area and get some ideas from there ...

3. The car in my avatar is painted DuPont-formula GM Black Sapphire. It was applied over black primer, so it's actually a bit darker than I wanted - nearly black in anything but full sun. However, it's got good flop, and I really dig it. It would look good with any white wall, and some red striping (or even a silver flake or white/pearl white roof) could really make it pop. Good luck on your project!

4. nwaringa

nwaringa

Yup that bad bad green is going going gone. I tried photoshop but the tint of the green just screws any good coloring of it. Just looking for ideas and pictures from others on their schemes and what paints they used. Looking for more of single color (no flake) something that has an air of dignity to it without trying too hard. The ACME shop truck is real close to where I want to be but I think the blue is a little too light.

5. nwaringa

nwaringa

The ACME truck for reference....

[​IMG]

Where I am at...

[​IMG]

6. I just painted my roadster Gun Metal Blue in nitrocellulose lacquer. It's a Ford color used in '28 and '29.

Dave

Attached Files:

7. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I like the color of Vern Tardel's roadster. I believe it's a mid-1930s Ford color called Washington Blue.

Attached Files:

8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

9. nwaringa

nwaringa

I might give Arizona Blue a shot at color match... not sure it if would come out dark enough. Unfortunately you can't get the lacquers from Ditz anymore.
    [​IMG]

10. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Also...Look in a fleet color guide. Every paint manufacturer has them.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This combo is where I think I am heading with my '33 eventually. I'll do black spokes though and the only red might be the engine. I love dark blue with black and a hint of red.

12. nwaringa

nwaringa

I am with ya JJ... my entire engine bay, engine, firewall and inner fenders will all be black. Hopefully when you pop the hood all you will see is black. Here is some of the stuff after Powdercoat. Black/Blue/Red is a nice combo to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome! On my '35's engine bay I decided to paint the firewall, frame and engine single stage high gloss black. Then pretty much polished everything else and through a little bit of red in there such as plug wires and ends as well as the inside of the frog mouths. As of right now I am really pleased with how it's turning out.

For my '33 I plan on doing the same except the block with get a shiny coat of either Red or Maroon and then when coupled with polished or freshly blasted Cheater heads on the flatty it'll pop but still remain very old timey.

You are correct black, blue and red are great colors to work with.

14. nwaringa

nwaringa

My engine is a little less traditional than your setup...but I have the same notions. Eventually I will probably go more wild with engine choice but I wanted it to be dead reliable so I can drive the piss out of it.

The engine before I tore the truck down for paint and PC. (Sorry if it offends the traditionalists)
    [​IMG]

15. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

16. nwaringa

nwaringa

Man that Washington Blue looks great in so many different lights. It almost looks black in your pics.

17. Anyone know these color codes?

Attached Files:

18. CA. 280

CA. 280

Whent all black hi gloss on my engine and tranny. What a mistake. Took days to find a small oil leak (a drop every ten minutes) Next time flat white and color the oil bright red.

19. nwaringa

nwaringa

Good point.... That will be fun. But look on the bright side, no one will ever see oil spatter if you entire engine compartment is black.

20. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Very close to Washington Blue. Was from a postwar Chrysler color chip. Not quite as black as the Ford Washington Blue

Attached Files:

21. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Mid 80's chrysler nightwatch blue is what I am going to spray my coupe .

22. Rochie

Rochie

Mine is a GM dark blue with orange wheels. Is that close enough

Attached Files:

23. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Mine is a single stage VW Indian Blue, mixed up at NAPA

Attached Files: