Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diesel Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iamspencer, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamspencer

iamspencer

I"M BACK

Haven't been on here in almost a year, nor have I got much done on the 54 until this month. when I graduated high school in 09 It went on hold while I started my on welding business, and now I finally found some time to get beck into it.

Its getting a military 6.2l gm diesel with an SM465,

this is an old pic but its neat that the diesel sign is there
    [​IMG]

tonight I finished setting up the hydrobooster and modified Walton fab pedal assembly

previous build thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360799

2. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Ok,diesel is different and kinda cool....but why a heavy turd of a 6.2?

3. R Pope

R Pope

That's cool. Old style custom, new style power. Best of both worlds!

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

i think it will be cool, wonder what the sound will be like with some loud mufflers?

5. RichG

RichG

Wow, it's been a while since we had a diesel thread... where'd I put my popcorn?

6. iamspencer

iamspencer

I've had 4 of them, I really like them

Same Mounts / size as SBC

Its actually the motor out of my first truck that I really miss.

7. iamspencer

iamspencer

AWSOME! I had an OT 86 1ton 6.2 with glass packs and a stack, sounded like nothing else WAAAAAAMP

8. 46chevytruck

46chevytruck

Dude - good on ya for tryin' something different. A supercharged Diesel will give great performance and excellent fuel economy - can't get that level of performance from a gas motor and still pass a gas station!

Here is mine - '56 F100, Cummins 24v turbo-diesel - more torque than the starship Enterprise and 25MPG

[​IMG]

9. iamspencer

iamspencer

It will be cool but not turbo
    Nice truck!

10. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Awesome. A diesel Belair might be just the ticket to beat these high fuel prices.

11. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Cool... I recently sold a 1 ton chevy dually with the 6.2, and it was getting 19 mpg. I used to have a 1500, and it would get 24.

The 6.2 is not a turd of an engine. It's actually a very good light duty diesel engine, it's just very mis-understood by people who think a 24 valve cummins with 800 ft/lbs is what a light duty diesel should be.

The 6.2 has about the same power output as a 305 gasoline motor. A little less HP, but a little more TQ, so the driving expirence will be about the same.

You can convert the military 24 volt electrical system over to 12V by swaping the shutoff relay on the injection pump to a 12V model. You could [should] also swap the pullies off the front of the engine for a 12volt setup.

good luck with it, I'll be watching!!!

12. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I dig diesels. On the cost of fuel subject, swapping in a diesel at todays fuel prices ($3.50/gal here), only to get 20mpg doesn't make sense when you can install a modern efi gas motor for less investment, pay less for cost of fuel ($2.90 here), and get the same mileage results as the diesel. I'm on the fence on the subject but that's not stopping me from doing a diesel conversion on one of my old trucks, and doing a modern efi motor conversion on another.

I dig your car, and your build plan though. Thinking outside of the box is good. ;)

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That's a great idea . Thing is the price of diesel fuel costs more than premium fuel dost so for the couple extra miles to a gallon you end up loosing in the end .
    If you are looking for something different how about a V6 ? decent mileage and you can use an OD trans .

Retro Jim

14. iamspencer

iamspencer

I have to admit, its not because of the fuel savings deal, I'm just one of those strange 6.2 guys :cool:, I think it will look cooler than a modern efi motor ill get some pics when i get a new camera but at first glance it doesn't even look like a very "new" / modern motor

15. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

really go recycle - run bio.

16. iamspencer

iamspencer

Something ive always wanted to personally do, I've installed a few kits for other people but never got one on one of my vehicles.. I dont think a 6.2 would hold up long one of their weak points is a fragile injection pump they dont like anything but very clean diesel

wonder if anyone has a hot rod running on bio...

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Yes, I've had a couple of them. I run them on home made bio-d, straight [used] veg oil, used motor oil, used tranny fluid, used gear oil, used transformer oil, and I got a friend who runs one on straight crude oil.

The problem with the DB-2 snaping it's input shaft has more to do with:
    #1: Cold starting the engine on a thicker fuel
    #2: Thermal shock, when switching a warm engine from cold D-2 to warm VO.

The trick is to put the final heat exchanger between the switching valve and the I.P., so the IP only sees heated fuel once it's warmed up.

A couple guys over on the Frybrid forum started doing this, and their IP's have lasted a long long time

18. iamspencer

iamspencer

Cool trick, that will be my next project when the 54 is done....one day

19. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

been thinkin of running a twin turbo 7.3 in a 60's caddy

20. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

This one's almost hamb friendly :D

21. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I am interested in learning about diesel power,
    would be cool in a 41-46 chevy truck..

22. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

For the life of me, I cant understand why the HAMB is so anti-diesel.

The first diesel race car came in 13th at the 1931 indy 300.

The first American diesel passenger car was a 1934 Auburn, that went from L.A. to N.Y.C, and averaged 44.5 mpg.

The detroil series "71" diesel was in production from 1938 untill just a few years ago.

The reason diesel is priced higher than gasoline today is because America consumes 18% more diesel fuel than gasoline.

Rudolph Diesel, the inventor of the diesel engine was murdured by the German government to keep diesel engines a secret because the germans knew if the good guys got ahold of diesel technology, they would loose the war.

America is a country that runs on diesel fuel. No if's, and's, or butt's about it.

[​IMG]

23. The only real issues with the 6.2 and 6.5 are that they can be rough on transmissions, and the 22.1:1 or so compression and resulting torque really push the block design to it's limits to where depending on what shape the assembly line was in on a given day some will go 500,000 trouble free miles, and some only 100,000 or so - and when they break it's always catastrophic, usually main webs or that sort of thing. I had a broken one that would turn about 1/3 of a turn and never bothered to take the pan off for a look - it was a donor for two other trucks then got scrapped.

I kind of wish my van had the diesel in it, 20 MPG would be nice right now.

24. 73RR

73RR

How about a few more details and pics of your F100?

25. 8flat

8flat

I've pondered this myself. I think there are several reasons:

1. The engine is the heart and soul of a hotrod. Traditional hot-rodders weren't running diesels back in the day. So, a non-traditional engine usually isn't accepted very well around here. It doesn't mean diesels aren't good, they just aren't traditional. You can get away with a non-traditional automatic tranny, or an alternator, or a triangulated rear susp., but the engine is a big, big element.
    2. Diesels are associated with tractors, trains, and 4WD turbo'd trucks blowing a cloud of black smoke out a 6" tailpipe.
    3. Hotrodding was built around gas engines. Diesels are very different than gas engines. They're typically heavy, don't like RPMS, and need a turbo to perform. The entire look, feel, sound, and even smell of a diesel is all very different. Not bad, just different.

You could argue with #1 and say the ONLY reason they weren't used in hotrods back in the day is simply because they didn't have access to good diesel donors, but we could make the same argument for a lot of new technology such as EFI, and now we're not exactly HAMB friendly again.

Now before I get flamed, I fully realize you can throw a hopped-up 6-cyl cummins in a coupe and easily make it a very fast car. I'm just pointing out why I believe most people think diesels aren't HAMB friendly. Personally, I like diesels, just not in a hotrod.....it just seems too "out-of-place". But I don't really care if someone else does it, to each their own I guess.

26. I don't know if it is so much ANTI DIESEL as it is anti MODERN diesel. No different than talking about an LS series motor on here. It's not Traditional and the last time I looked that is what this board is all (and only) about.
    Put in a pre 1964 Diesel motor and Hot Rod it and I'm sure you will be fine on here.

27. AntiBling

AntiBling

I can't figure it out either, I mean my grandpa was always telling me stories about swapping a GM 6.2 diesel and later a 24v Cummins into his '32 3 window and ripping up the streets and track back in the 50s. Guess everyone here isn't "ol skool" enough to appreciate it. They also got some beef against rat rodz too! Bunch of crazies on this site. And they claim to:

spread the gospel of traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms to hoodlums worldwide…

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Exactly...

A quick internet search says this is a '80's and up engine, which makes it almost as Off Topic as a '90s LS engine.

And besides that, there are 2 Social Groups for Diesels and alternative fuel powered vehicles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.