Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 pontiac coupe......where do i start???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fucco, Jan 3, 2011.

1. fucco

fucco

hi guys,
    i just bought a 49 poncho coupe, it has all new steel welded in but no motor or tanny in it
    what i wanna ask is can i just make mounts and drop a motor in as is or should i clip it?

thanks

Marc

2. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Type in Flop in the search area check out his work!! I wish he would do mine!! Joe

3. 52lomofo

52lomofo

4. fucco

fucco

i will try and get a pic or two up if i can figure out how lol

5. yblock292

yblock292

i did a 50 for a buddy used a trans-am clip fit like a glove!

6. fucco

fucco

what year was the TA clip?
    is there any that just bolt in......and i dont mean new kits that cost 2g's to buy!

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

bolt in clip..... no way. close to bolt in? few options, weld in, lots of options. easiest is rebuild what is there.

motor mounts for a small chevy are easy enough to make. might be able to modify a 49-54 chevy kit to work.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No, no TA clips that bolt in as far as I know...besides, you'd have to cut the Pontiac frame rails somewhere to figure out how to bolt it in...

Chassis Engineering in Iowa makes a "bolt-in" unit, for Mustang, I think, for a same year Chevy...I'd suspect your Pontiac would likely share the same frame. Might want to check that out.

I used a '78 Trans Am sub in my '55 Cadillac build and it fit perfectly...go here to see it: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  9. fucco

fucco

thanks guys
    hey 53sled........thanks for the tips, so you think i can go with mounts and rebuild the rest that i already have there?
    i was kinda thinking that would be an option but not sure as this is my first build!

40studedued.......thats one great looking build, i remember seeing that a while back on here and drooling!

i really appreciate the help here everyone..........might sound crazy but i wanna try and have this thing rolling for the summer!

10. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Just whatever you do, please, PLEASE, keep your Pontiac PONTIAC-POWERED.

11. fucco

fucco

if i find the right motor for the right price!

12. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

if the pontiac is a 100% canadian pontiac it will share the frame with the chevy, but its its not the pontiac frame is much wider than the chevy frame

QUOTE=40StudeDude;6051619]No, no TA clips that bolt in as far as I know...besides, you'd have to cut the Pontiac frame rails somewhere to figure out how to bolt it in...

Chassis Engineering in Iowa makes a "bolt-in" unit, for Mustang, I think, for a same year Chevy...I'd suspect your Pontiac would likely share the same frame. Might want to check that out.

I used a '78 Trans Am sub in my '55 Cadillac build and it fit perfectly...go here to see it: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-[/QUOTE]

13. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i did a 79 TA on my 50 pontiac and its the best car i have ever ridden,i have taken this car 90mph and its pontiac powered 400HO motor backed wit a 700r4 and the original rear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. fucco

fucco

Hey thanks The Chief.........pics look great!!!
    My car is a US model, I got my hands on a jaguar IFS and IRS that I want to use now. I hope it fits now with reading how the Canadian Pontiac is on the Chevy frame and the American Pontiac is a larger base.....wow I hope the jag stuff will fit!
    I kinda wanted to use the Chevy front clip on the Poncho and kinda doubt it will fit now...any ideas on that anyone?

15. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i belive the jag would work but the fron wheels might tuck in a lil bit.if ur planning to bag the car i wont really notice it that much. let me know if you have questions. ive done a jag clip on a 53 chevy and im very happy with it

16. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

17. fucco

fucco

wow thanks, that looks great!
    do you think the chevy hood will fit on my pontiac?

18. Nope, the pontiac hood is longer. (US Pontiac's came were available with the straight eight)

19. fucco

fucco

ok what if i used a complete chevy frnt clip?

20. Both Fenders and Hood are longer than the chev. I'd guess the core support mounts are located forward and the wheel base is 5" longer on the Pontiac and it would reason that the difference would be from the windshield forward.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  21. heres a teaser pic of her pontiac

Attached Files:

22. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

the chevy front clip wont fit, you would need to add 6" to the fenders to cover the frame, on another note why would you want to put a chevy front clip on the pontiac?

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Did you not get the front clip (sheetmetal) with the car? As pointed out chevy stuff won't fit. I used a full size Caprice/Roadmaster/Fleetwood frame clip under my '51 wagon, and am very happy with the stance, handling and braking. I'm using stock '51 wheels with the disk brakes.

24. fucco

fucco

56 thanks her car is really nice........i have the sheet metal for mine just it was repaired and not back the way it should have been done, the waterfall was welded in with flat steel and looks like ass.......I have a good 50 chevy clip i could use...I also dont have a grille for my 49, if anyone has some stuff kicking around let me know!<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6238447", true); </SCRIPT>

25. fucco

fucco

i have a complete 50 poncho here (canadian model) I have a 50 chevy hood fenders and grill i was going to use ,but this 49 pontiac (american model) has all new steel welded in thats why im doing the american car.