Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuff you've learned the hard way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Jul 19, 2008.

1. silversink

silversink

I"M speechless after the fork in the nose post---DAMN that brought tears to my eyes.

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

I knew a guy who topped off his mastercylinder with windshield washer fluid.
    Oh yes, that car I just got with a missing dip stick. Funny but the one the Ford Garage sold me still required a hell of a lot of oil to fill it up. I found that out when I drained the oil to change it. Like where is all of this coming from? And 20 years later I had the same problem with a Chevy. So if it dosent have the original dip stick, pass it by.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Never try to dress up a pig. It can't be done, and it annoys the pig.

4. Truer words and all that. Did you know that '68 Chevelles are heavy? Did you know that a cinder block will not support one? Ask me how I know this...

5. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

When your buddy tells you to buy it because its worth a million buks on ebay. Let him buy it.
    Left hand lug nuts on the driver side of old jeeps too. Luckily i guessed right. before my brother snapped the nuts off 100 miles from home :)

A High lift jack will be true to its name. And then tip over

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There's never time to do it right.
    There's always time to do it over!

7. JJK

JJK

everything....

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

$5.00 down (marriage license) and all you can make the rest of your life.

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

>Decisions made under the influence of alcohol/intoxicants should wait upon execution until
    clearer heads prevail.

> after the f-up, the first question asked by authorities (be wife/cop/fireman) is "was alcohol involved?", don't lie, they already know the answer.

> family and friends are the first ones to "f" you over.

10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Take extra time to think and plan when fabricating parts that are mirror image, else end up with 2 left sides or drilling the hole in the wrong side.
    Don't assume you won't stick your hand into the grinding wheel on the other end of the double end bench grinder.
    Don't assume the part you took off you car to use as a sample was the right one in the first place.
    If something is almost perfect and you fiddle with it, you will make it worse.
    If someone left out a key photo of a car in their ad it was probably intentional.
    Spiders will make a home in anything and everything
    from my dad "its when you STOP feeding the bears that you have a problem"

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  11. 32phil

32phil
    from New York

I'm readin' this thread ( I know some of it is pretty old) having some good laughs when I read....Dont trust a woman who doesnt have custody of her own child.
    Truer words have never been written !!!!

12. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

"IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T fix IT "

13. skyrodder

skyrodder

dont soak pot metal parts in Vinegar

14. 32phil

32phil
    from New York

Some drive in observations...
    The speaker moving up your side window does NOT mean the guy next to you is leaving.
    Slamming on the brake when your car is rolling backward will stop said speaker from tearing the window out of your 64 Galaxie hardtop but it will also cause the 2 cups of scalding Hot Chocolate to slide off the dashboard and onto your girlfriends lap. You will then be able to remove her pants quickly and easily. Unfortunately, the evening has come to an abrupt end.

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you tinker with something long enough, it will break.

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

your supposed to fix it till it is....

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

This video is ENTIRELY O/T for the HAMB, as far as old car related, but is 100% relavent to the topic at hand of things you have learned the hard way.

It's 50 minutes long, and not just us car guys, but EVERYONE needs to see this. After you watch it, get your spouce/children/friends, etc to watch it.

My best friend is an attorney. Tho I'm not the type who gets involved in any sort of shadey activities, he has told me time and time again to NEVER EVER EVER speak to a police officer untill I speak with him first.

A couple weeks ago, he sent me this video link, and now I'm sharing it with you.

18. Kirsten

Kirsten

1. The "It's a Snap" wiring kit is still a cluster f*** of confusion...
    2. The L on a Dodge rim means Lefty Tighty, not Loosey!

19. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

if you, your friend or someone near you say's "hey watch this!!" everyone is doomed... everyone..

20. swbatt

swbatt

"Life is hard. If you're stupid, it's harder"
    John Wayne

21. Lesson learned: Unless you are a qualified welder, get your modified pitman arm professionally welded!
    If you do it yourself and are lucky, it will break while doing a 3 point turn and not on the highway.

As a side note: if it does break on the highway, you will quickly discover if your caster is correctly set.

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

When swappin a carb (or more) Always double check that all washers and/or nuts are not INSIDE the manifold.
    As above, if youre lucky nothin brokes, if youre not and they get stuck on a valve....

I guess pics are pretty self explainatory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  23. Righty tighty,,,,,lefty loosey! Crow. LFFL

24. 26 roadster

26 roadster

you don't use your fingers to stop the disc brake piston when you blow it out with compressed air, lesson learned; white stuff will squirt out of your finger and you get lolly pop fingers

25. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Don't forget your dinner is cooking in the oven while having a "quick" look at the HAMB.

26. boldventure

boldventure

corollary #1: There is no "quick" look at the HAMB...

27. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Never ever look at your wifes little sister as anything other than your wifes little sister.No matter how she acts towards you.Just look at all you can lose ,because you will.

28. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Never believe that you are buying a "running" project. It might be for right now, but it won't be for long. Just be glad that you can run it long enough to get it on the trailer.
    Never trust the mechanical ability of prior owners.

29. 9fingerdoug

9fingerdoug
    from VA

Is there an easy way ?

30. garyf

garyf

Success comes from experience,experience comes from failure.

If you loose your mind and loan a tool, have the borrower sign and date a receipt he borrowed the tool before he takes it. 1: ever forget who you loaned it to
    2:The borrower usually does
    3:Ever have the borrower die & have to get your
    tool back from a clueless wife or family member