Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need your help! Old school chevy guys!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Amish, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Amish

Amish
    from Tacoma

So I've been building a 1928 Chevy coupe for about a year now and hope to have it done by summer. (It's not a rat rod! It's just not finished!) Anyway, I was looking for another project and the wife wanted a sedan. I ended up buying this 1933 Chevy Sedan Delivery and plan to fully restore it. The thing that's got me pulling my hair out is the fact that I cannot find ANY info on this specific car. While they are rare, I have found plenty of 33 sedan delivery panels, but this particular car has rear windows which happen to roll up and down! It's all original and has not been modified at all. Any of you guys have any idea how rare this car truely is? It has the standard barn style rear door and I'm wondering if this was a special order car or something. ANY info would be awesome as I've looked everywhere and come up with no pics or info on another one of these. Thanks!- Mike

The Coupe
    [​IMG]

The Delivery
    [​IMG]

2. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Wow, that thing is cool!! So is your coupe.
    I wonder if it's maybe a flower car rather than a proper sedan delivery? I also believe it's a '32, not a '33.

3. I'm thinking flower car too. What is the body # on the firewall tag? Whatever it is, it's certainly a rare and rad Chevrolet!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. Flower car was my guess too

5. Low dollar or improvised ambulance? Remember, this is Depression era.......

6. Kingsway

Kingsway

BTW a flower car is similar to a hearce except it hauls the flowers for the funeral not the corpse. :)

7. Awesome coupe! So good to see some Bowtie hot rods being built. Keep us informed of the progress. That SD is also quite a find. A '32 or '33 is hard to say from here. The '33 SD used front fenders, radiator shell, grille, and headlights stamped from the same dies as used for the '32 cars. There were 3,628 SD's built in '33 in both DeLuxe and Standard trim. Flower car build is probably most likely, but Chevrolet did build '55-'57 SD's with side windows for the U.S. Forest Service so may have been made to order for something like that, too. As Mac said, VCCA may be the best bet for historical perspective.

8. nice find, that flowercar looks very tidy from the pic. good luck an keep us posted on progress on both builds. nice to see more bowtie rod being built

9. Amish

Amish
    from Tacoma

Thanks for all of the help so far and the nice comments! I am really hoping to have the coupe done this summer and then I can start on the 33 after that. I will keep posting progress as things come along for sure! I still can't find any info on the 33.

10. Amish

Amish
    from Tacoma

So I figured out that this is a U.S. Forest Service Car! I noticed that it looked like the car was green under this paint and started chipping off the paint. There is the Forest Service logo on the door under the paint. I tried stripping it but I think that when the car was painted they ditched the logo and what's there maybe had a chemical reaction with the newer paint. Not entirely sure but now I'm on the hunt for info on this and pictures. Wish me luck!

11. Ghost28

Ghost28

Damn and to think I had to build my own sedan delivery. I am so jealous.

12. Amish

Amish
    from Tacoma

So it's official.. I ended up stripping the paint off the door on the 33 with some medium stripper after using a blacklight which showed there was something under the paint. Here's what I found! Pretty crazy if ya ask me!

[​IMG]

13. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

Sweet and rare. RESTORE it!!!

14. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

The Filling Station is a great place for restoration parts and technical help on the early 30's vehicles. www.fillingstation.com

15. Amish

Amish
    from Tacoma

I am planning on a full resto with this one once the coupe is done. I am going to redo everything the way it was ordered for the forest service as well. I have been talking with Steve at the filling station already and he helped with a bit of info as well and helped find the pass side spare tire hold down I was missing. I still am having a hard time finding how many were produced though. Some of the things on the interior may be tricky to figure out how it was ordered without seeing another one. And I'm still trying to figure out why they would spend the extra coin for the rear windows as there were only the front seats. It looks like they had tools like shovels and axes in the back as there are leather belts to secure somthing to the pass side on the inside.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There were many many variations on Sedan Deliveries modified by the aftermarket. Some served the funeral industry, did ambulance duty, and many served national/state agencies.
    Forest Service archives may even contain the bid/specification forms for this vehicle type from the manufacturer or body modifier.

17. Sweet find! I love that historic stuff. I agree with Boyd Who that it's a 32 because of the grill and the four doors on the hood.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

and the headlight bar and the belt moldings etc. etc. I guess it could have been titled in 33 but all the styling clues say 32. Either way it's a cool piece. How is the wood?? That's the big question.:D

19. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I want to see pics of your coupe interior........love how you did those seats.

20. Amish

Amish
    from Tacoma

Car is definately a 33'. The sedan delivery's in 33 all had the 32' front ends. I had a long and very informative talk with Steve from the Filling Station. It's looking like I'm going to be putting the 33' up for sale so that I can focus on finishing my 28' and some of the other projects. We'll see though.

21. Smokey2

Smokey2

It's been 2 yrs !
    Whomever you sold it to Should Post an Update.

Signed, Curious. :)

Let's See update on the Coupe' :cool: