Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Von Dust" chopped Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLVIS, Feb 8, 2011.

1. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

did multiple searches , but can"t find any pics of this car....car you help?
    Thanks

2. Rome around the road rockets website

3. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

4. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

hey mercdueceman, i haven't had any luck, I think I heard he's your son? Id love some picts of the build,and finished project, I currently building one and have never seen a chopped one
    Thanks for any help you can give me

5. [​IMG]

This is from a couple of years ago, and it looks pretty much the same now. Dustin is a good dude, but is too busy working on other peoples cars to finish his own! One of the many examples of why the midwest is the best place to be for hot rods and custom cars.

6. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

thanks so much!...it s perfect, do you know his plans are for the paint? mine will be black with a lace pattern above the trim line

7. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

also i forgot to ask about the chop, how much front and back?...thanks again

8. 3" front and back. Windshield and back window sunk into the body

9. Yep, fruit of my loins...PM me for contact info for some pictues of the chop. Back side widows still roll up and down. A project not for the faint hearted. Many thanks to Tom Culbertson for all his help coaching Dustin through it.

10. Dustins car has been one of the best custom drivers out there for years! I like it pre and post chop

11. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Check this out - a couple years ago ViVa Las Vegas

Attached Files:

• 0050.jpg
      0050.jpg
      File size:
      268.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  12. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

sweet! i love this place! everybody is so helpful!

13. Ebert

Ebert

Dustin is the DUDE...helluva striper, builder, etc! Runs in the genes!!! I remember him striping my old 31 Pickup in the dust (no pun intended!) at the Pile Up years ago. What a great young man!!!

14. Dustin is a great guy, only trouble is, he runs around with Juvenile Delinquents ! Oh wait, those are his parents,.............and the Road Rockets.

Johnnie.

15. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

LOL. Thanks, I think. Yes we do have a good time AND with our kids. We are lucky we love the same things...cars. :)

16. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

Gary, that's a classic....

17. VonDust

VonDust

Hey... I'm here...
    Yeah, its chopped 3 inches, '56 Olds headlights, '56 Packard tail light, quarters stretched 12", fenders stretched 3", I'm keeping the side trim on it for when I paint it, shaved doors, molded doghouse, original floating grill, rear windows are still functionlal, original Hemi that should be sent to the Smithsonian backed by a T-5 tranny and 9" rear... I bought this car when I was 15 years old saving up for two years... I'm now 23 and I have driven this car everywhere... I will hold onto this car forever, she is my sweetheart.
    Its going to be a "tri-tone" paint job, I do paint and body for a living... I have my own shop but other customer cars kind of get in the way.
    I would post some pics up, but I'm too ignorant to learn how to do it... there are pics floating around, just have to do a search.

18. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is rad!

19. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

i am in need of chopping my wing windows and doing the side glass on my plymouth. any tips? thanks

20. VonDust

VonDust

Well... For me its all about trial and error... As far as the rear quarter glass went, I took the frame itself without the glass in it and kept fitting, trimming, fit some more and trim accordingly. Since the front ventwing posts are made out of pot metal, you cant really weld to them... so I cut the highth and made a new piece out of solid stainless to go over the ventwindow, and I fastenned it by drilling and tapping nice dress screws in the jam where you cant see them. If more visuals help while fitting the glass, use some foam poster board to replicate glass.

21. brad64

brad64

22. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]

Pre-Chop... about 3 years ago, right after I got the bodywork finished up on the car.

23. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]

September 2009 down in Tennessee.

24. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]

This was my Senior pic from 2006 in high school... I drove it everyday like this for 2 years in high school.

25. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I must say I like the car.

26. metalman

metalman

Yeah, I love this DeSoto too! Glad to hear ya still got it Dustin. We still talk about you and your buddy and the trip you made with the slight "delays";)

27. 2Hep

2Hep

28. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

Hey Metalman....good to hear from you. You were a big part of that trip. Without you it might have taken a whole different direction. Thanks again.

29. VonDust

VonDust

Hey Metalman!... Yeah, Still have the old car, can't seem to part with her, we've been through too much.
    We're all still talking and telling stories about you guys in New Mexico... We all took a bad situation and made a good time out of it. Can't thank you enough.

Grumpys Hot Rods likes this.