Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Lincoln Y-Block ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I have a '52 Lincoln Cosmopolitan with a complete engine in it. I've never been a Ford guy so I know very little about these. Like what size it is, or if it can produce any real power. I haven't checked to see if it spins. Probably not, but it's in a closed hood car so that's a plus. I just want to know if it's the same as the Ford Y-Block... and if it's worth saving in the first place.

Thanks...
    JOE:cool:

2. cornernfool

cornernfool

1952 should be a 317, 185 horses I believe. Not the same as a Ford.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's the first of its breed, a design that was used in Lincolns through '57 (and later in some trucks). Unfortunately, it's the weakest example. '53s got duals, a 4 bbl, and bigger intake valves. About the only thing that may interchange with a Ford Y block is the distributor, if you change the drive gear.

4. Thanks. So, I guess it's something a true Y-block lover would see merit in, or someone looking for something different... but speed and power? ...nnnnnot so much. Parts availability is probably spotty too I suppose. All the parts are on it and it has a cool kinda skeleton-ish vibe goin' on. I'll probable get a little more interested myself if it turns over without a lot of trouble.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

5. bcr466

bcr466

Wasnt there one of these that won a mexican? road race years in a row? Seems it was a 52-54 Lincoln cant remember which.

6. I believe it. When I put it on the trailer, the front suspension looked more like a truck.

7. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

8. The Lincoln Y is very different than the Ford Y about the only thing that interchanged is the pil pump and on a '52 317 that will only work with a first gen 239. (different type drive) Lincoln Ys are very good motors otherwise, they are heavy but so is a Lincoln, 317, 341 and 368 in cars 279, 302 and 332 in trucks good tough engines that can make good power. Yes the 317 was only 185 hp to begin with but the 337 flathead was only 145 so they were moving up.