Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model'a' rear spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyrods, Feb 16, 2011.

1. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

I've got a stock 29 Ford Roadster that I want a little lower. How many leafs can I take out of the rear spring and get away with?

2. 57choptop

57choptop

I took 4 out of my coupe put them on the other side of the stack so the u-bolts still contact and it lowerd it about 3+ inches

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

They usually sell rear leafs in 5 ,

4. 57choptop

57choptop

my stock leaf pack is 9

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Too many variables to answer your question. Is the spring new or used? How much are you trying lower it? If the spring is new it will settle a couple of inches on it's own. Are the eyes stock or reversed?
    Might try leaving the bottom two and removing the third one from the bottom,then every other one and see how it sits. After this remove the top leaf left and work your way down one leaf at a time untill you get there. Put some teflon liner between the leaves and make sure the leaves have no gouges in the top of the leaf. Then radius the bottom of the end of each leaf so they will not dig into the next one down. Assemble with chassis lube berween each piece when reassembling.
    Don't be discouraged, it's a lot of work. I've dissassembled them almost a dozen times to get just what I want. If you don't have a spring spreader don't unhook the shackles. Use a c-clamp over the entire pack and remove the center bolt. Release the clamp to complete disassemble. Reverse for reassembly.

Frank

6. pecker head

pecker head

I took out every other 1 in my coop , front and back ! Rolling nearly 4 years , no problems !

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In any case, the old rule of thumb was keep the main leaf and number two and remove the odd numbered leaves, 3-5-7-9 for a lower but still springy ride. Sometimes several trials are necessary before the correct number is found.

Factory Ford Model A Roadster rear springs have 7 leaves, are the shortest springs for the Model A in overall uninstalled height and have the shortest arch of all the As.

Factory Ford Coupe, Sport Coupe, Cabriolet, Victoria, and Phaeton rear springs have 8 leaves but have the same high arch as the others below.

The other 3 Factory Ford rear springs all have 10 leaves.
    One fits Tudors, Town Car Delivery, and Town Car.
    One fits Fordor and Town Sedans, DeLuxe and Special Delivery.
    One fits Open and Closed Pickups, Panel Delivery, and Station Wagon.

8. i took out 4 on my 29, used a C clamp as mentioned above. trust me youl get good at it even without a spreader. i removed 4 and dide a 6 inch rear kickup in the back,i can clear fenders with 700's. without fenders it looks pretty good to me. tire almost matches the fenderwell hight