Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homeade frame pads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51fordor, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 51fordor

51fordor

I am looking for a low budget way around ordering a frame pad kit for my 51 shoebox. The kit seems like it contains 27 rubber spacers that are the same thickness and two that are twice as thick. Could you use a tire and cut your own? Has anyone ever made any from somthing else.

2. Gator

Gator

I've used pieces cut from 1/4 rubber sheet from an industrial supply house on a few of my builds. Not really as thick as the old 'biscuit' type mounts but always worked OK for me...

3. 51, heres two tips for ya, Hockey pucks, and Rubber Truck Mud flaps from NAPA. They must have a zillion diffrent part numbers for flaps, diffrent thickness, shape, even colors. There cheap and last forever and ever. Hockey pucks are my favorites, get em a Play-it-Again Sports cheap. Now your asking, how the heck do you drill a hockey puck genius???????????????????....................................................... What for it..................................................you freeze them first :D

4. I wouldn't do it tires are pretty old school and no one would like it when you were done. :rolleyes:

Been done a ton no one will know the difference when you are done with it either will you once to remember to forget what you used.

5. 51fordor

51fordor

The mud flaps will probally be perfect. I love this site because you guys come up with the best ideas for cutting corners! Anyways here a pic of them and where they go. The larger ones are about 1/2" thick and the rest were about 1/4" thick. Should be pretty easy.

Attached Files:

• yb.jpg
      yb.jpg
      File size:
      121.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Cool 51, you might spend all of $12, and you'll have enough to do 2 cars, check out the NAPA web site, no kidding, I think they have a couple hundred part numbers for flapps.

7. And to do it even cheaper, check out the dumpster at the local truck stop or on the ground in their parking lot.

8. mustangsix

mustangsix

If round ones will work, you can cut 'em with a hole saw.

9. 51fordor

51fordor

Round will work just fine. Thats a great idea. Thanks again guys!

10. go to tractor supply they sell belting buy the foot thats what i used on my 50 shoebox its like flat bias ply material

11. boat trailer rollers are cheap, and already have a hole drilled in them, just slice the desired thickness.

12. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Find a dirt track racin guy and ask for an old dirt track tire I used old tires from my Sprint car if you get the right ones you will have tread blocks that are different shapes can be cut with a sharp knife or razor blade. If you find a biggie like a 15 inch or bigger right rear you can also cut out the sidewall and lay the tread out for floor mats or welcome mat to your shop. Just a thought!

13. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

If you have any local gravel pits go ask if they have any conveyor belting laying around we tear them all the time and they are the perfect thickness and are super strong because it has a criss-cross pattern of nylon thread run thru them. If I were closer I could get you as much as you needed. Also take a look around for an old rubber bed mat from a truck bed.