Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Official 60-66 C-10 Chevy Truck Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, May 8, 2006.

1. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I just bought this last week. The pictures make it look much better than it is but I'm ready to dig in. It has a 350 in it with the original 3 speed but they guy I bought it from put some piece of shit universal floor shifter in it... So... I'm gonna stick an automatic behind it because my old lady needs to drive it sometimes. Anyone have an suggestions on what kind of steering column I should put in it that has the auto shifter? I wasn't sure if a later model C10 would bolt up or not. I'd appreciate any advice, I've tried searching but I didn't come up with a whole lot. Anyway, here's one pic
    [​IMG]

2. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Some of the '66s had automatics in them, I bet if you found one in a wrecking yard the column assembly would fit like a glove.

3. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Sorry if i'm asking a stupid question, but Are you saying these trucks didn't come with an automatic untill then?

4. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I could be wrong but everything I could dig up on these trucks says that 67 was the first year GM put an automatic in a truck. I also read that even in 67 the hydromatic was an option and was not very common, most had the 3 speed manual "which is what I have". So... can anyone confirm this?

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PowerGlides were available in '55 Chevy trucks.

6. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

That's what I get for reading wikipedia lol

7. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

After reading some more I supposed I was partially right. The first hydromatic was introduced in 1966 but before that they did offer a 2 speed automatic but the article doesn't state when they introduced the 2 speed. So there you go!

8. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

I'm not sure if they had them before that or not, but I am pretty sure that 66 had some, and I think it was the first ones at least in that style...

9. jason65

jason65

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  10. jason65

jason65

Dressed my motor.

Attached Files:

11. my truck is a 65 with a 283/powerglide power steering and brakes from the factory.

12. OLSKOOLCHEVY

OLSKOOLCHEVY
    from Idaho

that's cool.

13. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

14. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

I found this truck for sale a couple of years ago. The builder moved the rear of the Suburban up to make the back of the cab, giving himself a one piece pickup. I thought it was cool and tried to trade him for the Lowered 78 Chevy Pickup I was driving, but he was hurting for cash. Never saw it again!!

[​IMG]

15. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

that's nice. you should have bought it if possible. all it needs is a decent paint job...

16. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

i had a friend in michigan who had a 58 with a 4sp automatic. he rolled it and sold it. if he were still alive, i'd ask him again about the trans to make sure that i didn't misunderstand. pretty sure though.... a 4sp auto in a 58 chevy PU.
    [/FONT]

17. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

If i would have had the cash i would have!!!! I tried to sell my 78 right away, but a few days later it had been sold!!!!

Attached Files:

18. Strodder

Strodder

Kewl truck.

19. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Here are the rest of the Pics I took

Attached Files:

20. Strodder

Strodder

I would love to see this painted real nice.

21. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I normal wouldn't care but I'm still in awe at all of the mis-information out there. I am curious to know the whole story on this now. Any know for sure?

22. You could get Chevy trucks with Hydros in the later '50s.
    I don't believe I ever saw a C-10 with a hydro that wasn't swapped in. I've never seen a hydro behind a 6 cylinder Chevy truck but I suppose they could have come that way, I just never saw one that way.
    The dual range hydro (4 speed) should not have been an option by the time the C-10 came along.

zippeay
    The hydromatic was a '50s transmission. The turbo-hydromatic that came out in '66 was not or is not the same transmission as a hydromatic. The hydromatic uses a fluid coupler instead of a torque converter for starters, there are also a myriad of other distinctions between the two. Remember that wikepedia is like a large portion of the internet, no fact checking.

LoneSpar that truck has character friend. Ya gotta love the countryfied slider back glass. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  23. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Can anyone take a pic of the pass and driver side fender for the exact location of the Apace 10 emblem?
    Thanks.

24. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Yes, I know better than to look at Wikipedia but that Stovebolt website is dedicated to Chevy truck so I figured they knew what they were talking about... What's the world coming to? lol. Thanks for the info, it's kind of interesting.

25. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

When I got my truck I was told it was orginal 283 with a 2 speed automatic? How would I know for sure what it had? It does have a 350 behind it now. I don't really know anything about transmissions or what they are by looking at them. I can say it apears that the Steering colum and brake bracketry all look to be orginal and untouched.... but accouring to the other guy did the 50's hydromatic get used all the way through till 66?

26. jchav62

jchav62

Looks nice Jay. What's the story?

27. jchav62

jchav62

This '61 is parked in the lot here at work today... I don't know who's it is, but it's bitchen!!

Attached Files:

28. The hydromatic should have not been an option in the '60s at all. Chevrolet pretty much relied on the powerglide for an automatic until they started to ues the turbohydro.

The absolute best way to determin what the truck originally came with is to find a site that has the codes to decypher a vin number. You can look at the vin tag and tell everything from the color to the hub caps it came with. You may look under the seat or in the seat abck sometimes you can find the build sheet if it isn't rotted completely away and get information off of it.

29. mona_66

mona_66
    from East LA

i need some ideas for my new 66 chevy c10

30. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

hi mona welcome - did you look at this thread> if you dont get ideas or motivation from it, then not sure we can help ya!

post some pics of your new ride and we'll give you some opinions at the very least! i pic of you wouldnt hurt either - always love to see girls in a old pickemup!