Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for any advice that 36 chevy coupe owners can give me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3WBill, Feb 15, 2011.

1. 3WBill

3WBill

I am the lucky owner of a 36 chev 3 window coupe. Only problem with that, is I have no other '36 chevs to check and see just what I may be missing. I would like to ask other owners where they have been able to get things such as headlite buckets, garnish moldings and other bits and pieces. I am changing the knee action to a straight axle and would like to know who else has done this. Perhaps someone would be willing to share any build pics or even advise, would be helpful. Are 36 truck headlites interchangeable? This is my first rod build and I would appreciate any advice other 36 chev owners would care to pass along to me through here or even a PM.
    Under my profile I have an album of all the parts I have to date if anyone cares to look.
    Thanks, 3WBill

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think you are missing the doors:D

If I recall correctly, the headlights on a 36 truck were the same as the 34-35 car.

3. 3WBill

3WBill

You made me laugh KJSR , I do have the doors but they have no wood left in them so they are really flimsy. I have them stored away for now. 3WBill

4. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

I have a pair of mint hood sides for that coupe for sale.
    Aside of that, putting a straight axle under that is no problem, I would go with a parallel leaf set up, figure out your ride height, drop of the axle and have at it.

5. Bill. In later years, 37-40, chevy made two different front suspensions for their cars...cheapie models got straight axles and more expensive cars got coil springs. Not sure if the straight axle frames are same as the coil spring frames but if they're different it might be a shortcut to just find a '36 "axle" frame.

6. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

Bill has all the body panels for the car, and extras of most. It's the typical small things that are missing, so if anyone has done searches in the past for this sort of stuff for the '36 Chevy, I'm sure the info would be very much appreciated.

7. k9racer

k9racer

in 36 the fd units had straight axels.. the standard had a 109 wheelbase and the deluxe had 113 inch.. Looking at your avitar you have a rumble seat car.. the seat frame will be hard to find as well as grill and head light assys .. A lot of the rumble seat models were converted to trucks during WW 2. Trucks got more gas coupons.. GM also sold a 36 with a factory installed bed. for any wood you have go to a wood boat supply house and get a product called GotRot.. You can sub electrical conduit or steel tubing in the body for support in place of the wood.. Good Luck with your 36..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  8. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

My 35 master came with a hood that would not fit the cowl mounting was different right in front of the windshield and the hood corners did not match my cowl found out it was a 36 hood and was completely different from a 35 people will tell you they are the same but they ain't . I have found the inside window trim on buicks olds. pontiacs are all the same on the 35 model so maybe the 36 as well

9. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

There is a Yahoo group for 36' owners. The best tech info they have on it is how to replace the wood with steel. I will see if I can dig up the address.

10. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

Thanks KJSR, there is an in-depth article in an old Street Rodder, which Bill & I have. Maybe that's the same one...first class.

11. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

You're right...the '35 is a bastard year, nothing else like it.

Many thanks for the hint on the Buick/Olds/Pontiac window trims, didn't know that.

There are even differences between the '35 Master and '35 Standard. It seems that Chevy made the Master body a little longer. The doors might be the same size, I'm not sure. The GM Heritage site has some pretty good info on all that stuff, they just don't tell you where you can get replacement parts today!!!

Thanks again.

12. 3WBill

3WBill

The missing rumble seat is an example I am talking about. I don't even know what is suppose to be inside for a seat or if there was any sort of padded panels to frame the area in. This where even a couple of pictures, stock or otherwise, would be so helpful. This car was a field find over 25 years ago and I was lucky that the previous owner saved every part he could collect. My headlite pods are swiss cheese, I had heard of this , but this is the 1st time I actually seen it. I also am short the left door window garnish. My 36 is listed as a master deluxe and had knee action suspension. The passenger front wheel hub and shock are mangled beyond repair but I have an entire drop axle setup that I want to use. I have already found a set of re arched front springs. Again, a pic or two of a stock straight axle or even another axle setup would come in handy. All the suggestions so far are appreciated. Thanks, 3WBill

13. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Sigh, I own one of the bastards! For the life of me I cannot get the front end together. I might have a late 34 frame, hard to tell. Everyone has a different answer.

14. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

You might try asking for pictures/help on the Vintage Chevrolet site http://www.vcca.org/ If the gents on there can't help you, no one can!

15. kelzweld

kelzweld

Check my album and you'll see a pik of a 36 Chev I beam axle. Send a PM if you want pix from different angles or spring attachmant points.

16. I don't own a 36 Chev but the best advice I can give you is to give it to the 'beaner before it causes you any more problems.

36 truck lights are the same as I recall. A neat custom trick is to take the later lights like 39/40s and sink them into the fenders.

You are probably going to be stuck searching the classifieds on here and nay 30s Chevrolet sites you can find for winddow garnish moldings. I'm pretty sure that not much in the line of repop parts are made for them. maybe check hemmings motor news site?