Register now to get rid of these ads!

I thought the economy was bad? Thickstun $920

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

I don't know.. Maybe I'm a little younger than you guys and don't know any better.. But that name doesn't scream out performance in my book... So, I'd pass on it...

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

A pm-7 is of course the re-pop, and as I understand it the raised cross over chamber between the towers is the difference between the original in which this did not exist, this is supposed to prevent pooling of the fuel at idle speeds. I read an article (cannot recall which magazine) where they tested the different flathead intakes with different cam's, carb's etc and the Thickstun pm-7 produced the best average HP across the board. I have ran mine on the street for about 3 years plus now and it performs flawlessly with the exception of a cold crisp morning I will get some fuel iceing at the stop signs until everything is good and warm, so I just run a little extra choke a little longer. Just my 2 cent's worth.

Attached Files:

3. alchemy

alchemy

All PM-7's look like the one in your picture. The originals and the repros. I think you are mixing up the previous version of Thickstun's manifold with the PM-7.

Attached Files:

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I see them sell on ePay every now and then for around a grand. There is one on ePay right now that is around $400.

Here is one that I acquired a couple of years back.

Attached Files:

5. That price does not sound that bad, I bought one of mine at the Spokane swap meet 2 years ago. It had two 97's on it, linkage, fuel lines, and a polished fuel pump stand. It was 550.00 and that was Saturday afternoon!

6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

my friend got his for like 175. had some holes drilled in the front for a 8ba style breather tube but just welded it up, ground it off and sandblasted it looks like nothing happened.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Even so, it's one of the best performing 2x2's ever produced.

8. Gator

Gator

Wow - one guy starts a thread bitching about the economy because no one will spend the money to buy his car, now this one bitching because someone's got 'stupid money' to spend on performance parts... :rolleyes:

9. Deuces

Deuces

I'll take your word for it boss... I just never heard about that brand name before I signed up on here..:eek: Yeah, I know.... I'm still a rookie!:rolleyes:

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Been hearing alot of people blame the economy for alot of things lately. I dont believe it, i mean yeah thousands upon thousands of people are unemployed, but we are still dumping a shitload of money on our toys. For example, i'll bet the car shows you attend are getting bigger every year.
    Another example in select areas would be the snowmobile hobby. Near me it is a multi-million dollar boost for the local economy every season. People come from all over to ride on the Tug Hill Plateau and in Old Forge/Inlet.

I feel no matter how crappy the economy is people will still drop a buck to get there fix.

11. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

by the way.... the bad economy business was last months news. its on the up swing now or so i read. it sorta feels like it is also, maybe its just people stopped being scared and freeking out.

12. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

$920.00 isn't a bad price to pay for one of these manifolds. I've paid less, but not recently, and I've paid more. To me, not many intakes look better. and other than a little coughing and wheezing on a chilly morning start up, they work just as good as they look.

13. As a friend of mine used to say, "the price of image is high" and there are plenty of people out there willing to spend the big bucks for the image. In other words, "I don't need it but I want it".........

14. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

If someone will pay it, that's what it's worth.

15. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

I found my PM7 at the Turlock swap in 1978 for 75.00 could have bought a a orig air cleaner the same day for another 75.00 but passed. A smooth running manfold good responce with no flat spots i tried to run it with blocked heat an that was a no no on the street.

16. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

True

17. That's what the Fed says...the 'real' rate of employment is a lot lower than that but there are always people that have money to spend no matter how bad the economy is....there just may not be as many as when the economy is good.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

There was an original Slingshot on ebay that never met reserve at $500ish 2 months ago. I thought I might get the deal of the century! ;) :D

19. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

theres one on egay right now for 400 with carbs!

20. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Yeah but it won't sell for 400.00. There is also one on there right now at 910.00 with 15 bids and 4 days left on the auction. It is what it is and the PM 7 just seems to bring some coin.

21. If the prices of Thickstuns put you in the SOL category, I have used a regular 2x2 intake and 4" risers for a "poor man's Thickstun". Now, I have not done any performance tests of this setup vs the Thickstun but for the most part, most don't even know the difference.

Attached Files:

22. haring

haring

Here's mine:

It's next to a polished valve cover and old chrome oil pan for a Ford 170/200 straight six. And that's an old chopper peanut tank above. Hooray for fun stuff.

Attached Files:

23. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

I got the one I had at a place you never expect to find this kind of stuff. got it for a hundred bucks . A year later traded it for about 11 to 12 hundred worth of other parts.

24. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Nice,I see you have the very rare cupi doll option.

Doc.

25. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I just got educated. Thanks for the info

26. Yeah...Let me know when that is.

27. <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That first one must wash the HELL out of some laundry!

</fieldset>

28. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

damn i have one hanging in my garage. i picked it up when i was a kid for free. a guy we knew passed away and his kids were practically giving his stuff away. i just asked for it and they gave it to me. thought it was a kool wall hanger at the time.

29. Very rich history......here's a flathead all dressed up with Thickston goodies on my buddy Jay's deuce.

[​IMG]

30. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Agreed same here in the UK, every time you switch on the news or read a paper it says how bad things are and things will get worse business is doomed.

You walk around any town centre car park though and every 3rd car is a BMW, Range Rover or Porsche. Designer shops are doing plenty of trade There are plenty of folks out there with money and they are not afraid of spending it at the top end of any market. A percentage of those folks will be into traditional hot rods or having them built.
    The ones who are struggling are those at the bottom end who have had their pay frozen or reduced when the basic cost of living is soaring.

That said I sold a Thickstun last year for only £330 on Ebay about $500 you just need the right 2 guys bidding on it to double that I'm not that lucky.
    I have a Speedway Eddie Meyer on the motor now and it is no where near as good a casting as the Thickstun, had to spend a good few hours with the die grinder getting the ports smooth and matching.

Rich