Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Paint & Body question: I need some help here....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

Well, been a while since I posted in the main forum...I'm usually in the Chevy Pickup group. Anyway, I went to get some paint from the local supplier/shop here in town and asked for an easily sprayed, idiot proof paint that will look decent for a couple years and wont require top notch equipment or expert skills to shoot. Told the guy I had an HVLP setup and wanted to shoot matte or satin black on my '56 Chevy pickup. He ended up convincing me that IRONCLAD is a good choice and mentioned about 4 other good looking hot rods around town whose owners had shot IRONCLAD on their rides and were pleased with the results. I'm second guessing buying this stuff but after I asked another local painter about it he said it's decent, easy to shoot and will stand up well. Today I asked the guy who sold it to me to tell me how it compared to "Hot Rod Black" by SEM and he said the results will be fairly identical except that the IRONCLAD enamel takes a little longer to dry. Anyone here had any experience with this stuff?

2. Never heard of it......what company makes it?

3. You had your answer, now you're just gonna get confused again.

Good luck!

JH

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL...I know, I know... It's not exclusively an automotive paint, it's a multipurpose paint. It's self etching, rust inhibiting, can be used as a primer, won't fade with UV, won't become chalky like primers, etc... Heck, maybe I'm an idiot. I was just curious if anyone else had shot their car with it.

5. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

Paint drying times are fairly subjective...meaning there are a lot of factors that affect drying times; such as humidity, air temp, the ratio of paint, hardener and reducer...on and on. So it will have a dramatic affect on how the paint dries. Shoot it and see how it goes.

6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

buy a small amount and shoot a test panel.

7. Buzznut

Buzznut

The ratio is 1:8 (hardener) and 25% (reducer) and he suggested painting it at 60 to 75 degrees.

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

It was $68 for a gallon...already bought it.

9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

$68. w/hardner? :eek: Damn where do you get this stuff?

10. dawg

dawg

shit dude for 68 bucks, how can it not be the best stuff ever?...

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

With that price, it might be a version of the old synthetic enamel. They also had a similar hardner ratio. Not very high quality paint, and if you decide to shoot "real" paint on the car, you'll have to strip it all off.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL, smartass... I know, I know...it isn't going to be the greatest. I was just wondering if it's going to create more issues on down the road when I decide to paint it for real.

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

And apparently, it will. I'll return it (it's unopened) and get something different.

So basically, I want to drive this thing this coming spring. I want to prime it for now, but want it to be somewhat protected in case of a fluke downpour when I have it out. I don't plan on driving it in foul weather, but you never know what to expect. I'll likely paint it this coming fall or winter so the primer doesn't need to be bulletproof, just adequate. And since I'll have to sand and reprime before i paint, I don't want to spend a bunch. Are the DP products any good for this?...

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I used DP90. It has held up pretty well except for when you get brake kleen or gas on it....then it looses it's sheen. But it was a few $.

16. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

dp90 is great stuff if you can get it, hard to find in california anymore....think its off the shelf now.......i used some stuff from valspar a couple months ago, it worked pretty good, about 75 bucks a gallon with the activator.......it was real paint though....my paint guy said its new for cars, they been making boat paint forever though....

17. Dzus

Dzus

That IRONCLAD is a cheap, traditional alkyd/synthetic enamel primer and paint all in one. Most paint manufacturer still makes a product like that for painting implements, structural steel, etc. It will do the job, and being a single coating solution I don't think you will find a cheaper solution. The "Hot Rod Black" by SEM is just a top coat and needs a primer under it for adhesion. PPG DP epoxy primers need a topcoat for protection.

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have a friend who is a local rep for Valspar, I'll need to ask him about that product. Do you know the name of it?

I didn't realize that DP is no longer available in California...figures, all the insane envirocrap here labels EVERYTHING a hazzard.

19. Dzus

Dzus

Valspar is a huge company. They make everything from cheap enamel similiar to your IRONCLAD to super nice Kandies since they bought House of Kolor.

20. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

it didn`t really have a special name, just valspar finishes on it, carried in an auto body shop, supply store....my guy told me it was new for autos...i recognized the name from past boat work.....check into it, it was gloss black that we flattened...worked very well.....no pics, sold the truck shortly after....

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

My buddy is a rep who is moving up in the company. He reps HOK right now but will likely make his way up that ladder. I can get a good deal on anything I want, but am not ready to cross that bridge yet. He's also a pretty well known paint and body guru and has turned out some incredible top award cars over the years. I need to keep him anonymous out of respect, but you all know his work.

When it's time I'll have some killer color on my truck and one of the best to shoot it for me...