Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How Lust Built Hot Rod Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 14, 2011.

1. QuatroDoor

QuatroDoor

As far as the girl- I prefer the mystery.

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Women will always be a part of our hobby as evident in the photo of Anita, let's face it guy's...nothing sets a hot rod off like a hot woman riding shotgun,.... I rest my case.

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Ryan , great story and the girl in the hotrod , yep she was a Hottie to say the least . Yes those two do go hand and hand .
    Glad you made that huge leap too . Mr. Parks inspired so many people I couldn't think how many .
    Just keep you best foot forward and keep on doing what you do best !
    Thanks again for all you have done for all of us here on the HAMB !

Retro Jim

4. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

yes she looks like a hottie, there were lots of pics of the gals hangin with the racers, in some of the Don Montgomery books etc. They were gals that liked that kinda scene. As I recall a lot of the guys were kinda like some of the bikers of the day. With ducktails, Levi,s, engineer boots with a church key attached. The girls had their own 'hot girl' hairstyles, and apparel. Usually some kind of earrings, and in the 40,s a little gold chain around an ankle. or a 'real' hottie with a little chain tattoo there. When I was older and saw the little tattoo on the ankle of a friends Mom, I would wonder? was that nice lady a hottie baknthday??? Remember Petersen used to be in the advertising game in Hollywood and he knew what it took to get attention. And he had the dream and guts to pursue what he believed in. He liked a lot of things, that were of interest to men, just look at the mags he produced, and the pics he used. I didn,t think he was really that into hot rods, but he saw that it was a growing fad, that wasnt being covered very well, and Wally was the guy to help guide it. And hey Wally, was young once too. So was I, but rodding has kept me young.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. 21tat

21tat

Great story! Thanks.

6. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Reminds me of the girl next door who was my buddies older sister... and thanks Ryan for nourishing that original spark and keeping the flame going here on the HAMB

7. alchemy

alchemy

The hubub over Anita Smith reminds me of the more modern hubub over Ms. Ryan in Rodder's Digest. 'Course Ms. Ryan was wearing a bikini, but her "approachableness" still caused many men to write to the magazine about her.

8. Kettleman

Kettleman

Great story, just proves that a good idea takes time to work out. Thanks for keeping the faith!:)

9. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Women and cars, and not really in that order, are my two greatest passions. Cool story Ryan.

10. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

following your dream and finding success, thanks for the inspiration.