Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 street machine build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nwx, Feb 8, 2011.

1. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

When I first began to build this car, I was in the R*t rod mindset... some of the work I did was shoddy etc. I did get it put together and driving for almost nothing but I wasn't happy with it. It wasn't low enough, the power brake booster took up half the engine bay, no power steering etc. Also, it seems that lowrider Kustoms are everywhere around Tacoma. After the car sat for a couple years and became a storage bin, I decided I either needed to finish it or get rid of it. I decided to take the build in a different direction. I really like the gasser look but this car will probably never see a drag strip. There is quite some debate here over classification around here... I guess the closest thing I could come up with for a type of hot rod this is going to be is "poser gasser street machine"
    Here is the beginning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what I ended up with the first go around:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the straight axle put in. The steering needs some finishing touches
    [​IMG]
    I wheel a older Toyota and wanted to incorporate some of that hobby into this project so I went with a Toyota steering box and seit it up just like in my 4Runner
    [​IMG]
    Next, I decided to smooth the firewall
    [​IMG]
    I am still trying to stay thrifty on this thing by scoring what I can second hand etc. I was able to pick up some tires/wheels yesterday for dirt cheap. They aren't my first choice but I think they will look alright for now
    [​IMG]

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

There are a bunch of gassers that never see the strip. If you want to save some money have a clear idea of what you want the end result to be. Some guys use an artist drawing or photochop. Either way it will keep you on track and stop you from buying the same parts over and over again. The gassers theme is cool. Just try to stay true to the theme and you should have a bitchin car.

James

3. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I love 53 chevys and was considering building a gasser sytle build but decided to go with the chopped top custom look instead.If you are going for a gasser look I would sell the wheels and tires you just bought for a profit and buy some more period correct tires and just run some steelies. I also think that if you trim the front of the front fenders and 1/2 the grill and add a moon tank it really makes a bada$$ looking gasser/Street freak

4. Well it seems like you are maturing. Gone from scabbed together to hot rodded car. That's a good thing, I think.

The whole gasser thing has to do with a rule change that happened around '65. It doesn't mean that gassers didn't have straight axles and match bash cars for sure were different than the NHRA rules allowed. Your particular car to fit into the rules up until '64 more than likely wouldn't have been lifted, that would have put you into an altered class.

That said you should pay very close attention to what I am going to say next, some of us are just assholes. Ignore us if you can and build your damned car.

Perhaps it doesn't fit the traditional gasser bill in the strictest sense. By '65 or '66 straight axle cars were becomming more common place. Its still your car and you are not required to make anyone happy but yourself.

Enjoy it looks like you are headed in a good direction with it.

5. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Dad came over today and we yarded the body off the frame
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I stripped the remaining stuff off the frame
    [​IMG]
    I found a little rust in the rear of the frame that I will be fixing. Also I will be building a new crossmember for the 4speed adding clearance for the power brake booster and clutch master cylinder. I can also now get the entire brake and fuel system in place amking sure there are no problems etc. I think well worth the couple hours it took to get this done. Besides, it is always fun wrenchin with dad

I also was able to help the neighbor lady get her Chevy running.. shoe bought this truck new, it has always been garaged , zero rust, original bed, etc.. She only uses it to haul debris to the landfill. When I know she is going to do this, I offer to take it for her so I can drive the truck.. win/win!
    Here is a pic of the truck:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

[​IMG]

I was able to get the 4speed on the motor and all set into place to get an idea of how I need to build out the rest of the trans crossmember and see how the brake/clutch assembly is going to fit in. I think I will be reworking the transmission crossmember to get the brakes to set lower.

7. illterminal

illterminal

Very cool, looks like you're making some really good progress. Maybe if you had the wheels bead blasted they wouldn't look quiet as "new"? Two questions, what taillights are those? I really like them. And did you remove the B pillar or was it like that when you got it?

8. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

The taillights were in when I got the car, I am not sure what they are out of..
    As far as the B pilliars, this is a Bel Air Hardtop.. no pillars, just glass.

9. SixFive

SixFive

Maybe you should take those wheels with you next time you drive the pickup to the landfill.

10. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

lookin good! Hard tops are cool..

11. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

those are 62 olds tail lights. i always wanted to work them in to old chevy, now someone else beat me to it.

12. F&J

F&J

this is a 62 Olds from google...looks the same?

[​IMG]

13. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

62 olds indeed!! Thanks Mr. Chev and F&J!
    Then other thing I am wrestling with is radiusing the wheel wells. Damn huge committment. I like the looks either way honestly.

Yep, I know those arent the right rims..

14. v8 garage

v8 garage

Yeah, those Olds taillights look pretty sharp on the old Chevy!
    V/8

15. as far as those wheels go, blast them to dull and you have a close copy of a very rare Motor Wheel Fly mag. Most on this side of the coast have never heard of them, much less seen any.

16. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

I checked out of some pics of the Motorwheel Flys.. you are right! I just had my tunnel ram powdercoated with a satin finish that looks like it was just media blasted.. I wonder if that would pull off the look as well..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Tell the neighbor lady we like her Chevy pickup, and you'll be happy to split the manifold for her ...

18. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

This is what I decided to do with the drivers side crossmember to make room for the power brakes. I will have to finish boxing and will probably put in a gusset or two
    [​IMG]
    crappy phone camera..
    [​IMG]

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool project,keep us updated

20. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Subscribed! This is gonna be a kick ass build!

21. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

I only had a couple hours to work on this today but I did get most of the brake bracket sorted out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still need to mount the clutch master res., the proportioning valve and the slave and get everything rough plumbed.
    I will hopefully finish up the trans crossmember tomorrow, pull the motor back off and flip the frame over so I can do some rust repair and finish up the welds on the bottom side of the brake assembly

22. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

Hay nwx I love your build! I have a 53 also. When I got mine it had a mustang 2 rack etc. So I decided to chop and lower it. But I'm building the crap out of my 383 motor so it will run. Any way if you need some help let me know I would be glad to.

23. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

thanks for the offer Chevyben! What part of washington are you in?

24. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

I'm in Seattle really more like Renton.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A '53 Chevy makes a heck of a good gasser! Doesn't always have to be the typical '55 Chev or Willys to be a good gasser. Looks like you're on the way to something different that will turn heads!

26. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

More progress today!
    This is what I came up with for the clutch slave cylinder bracket
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like mounted
    [​IMG]
    Proportioning valve installed
    [​IMG]
    Finished up the trans crossmember
    [​IMG]
    The tore the whole mess back apart so I could get to the underside of the frame to finish up some welding, and strip the underside to get ready for paint.
    [​IMG]

27. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

I am considering POR 15 for paint on the frame.. any comments?

28. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

perfect! Give me a heads up if you travel south!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  29. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

I was able to make some progress. It doesn't look like much but everything is so damn tedious and time consuming.
    There was some rust in the rear of the frame
    [​IMG]
    So I cut out the bad and put a much stronger piece in
    [​IMG]
    Then the focus turned to the rear axle. I cut off all the old stuff, cleaned the entire thing and prepped for the mock up of the rear
    [​IMG]
    I picked up a chunk of large steel pipe from the scrap bin when I was getting some steel stock. I cut it in a couple pieces, did some welding and came up with what I think will work for a couple of drive line yokes.
    [​IMG]
    And now the frame is right side up, engine and tranny set so I can get an idea of pinion angle, and location of the drive line yokes. I spend the better part of yesterday removing anything I didnt want on the frame, welding up any holes I didnt need, grinding everything smooth, then running the wire wheel over the whole thing
    [​IMG]

30. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Before I could go much farther, I needed to get the body back on the frame and see where things sit.. I am still on the fence about dropping the rear and radiusing the fenderwells.. I like both looks. Nothing is welded in the rear yet.. I still need to fab up the ladder bars and build some axle floaters and couldnt do either till I was able to see how everything is situated.
    I also was off slightly on one of the front shackle perches (its bottomed out).. I guess rushing on any particular part means I get to do it twice!
    Here is how she sits right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]