Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects old world and new world colide and I get kicked off his land

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Throw yourself under the bus if you want that car...have your Dad go back and apologize for his 'clueless' son, maybe share a couple common recollections, just butter up the guy and see if amends can be made.

A valuable reminder or lesson for all of us.

2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Judging from your lack of caps and punctuation I'm guessing you are of the younger texting, cell phone addicted generation. I'm sure you are used to popping it out often to take pictures of things. Usually that isn't a bad thing but you might want to cultivate the habit of asking first. His response is totally understandable to me. I always ask before I take pictures and also ask permission before I post them on the internet. Some people say no.

3. Doug B

Doug B

I agree with Scott...sort of.Go back ,leave your phone in the car,and see if you can make ammends.Don't do it just to get the car...you pissed him off,now see if you can un-piss him off.It might restore his faith in the younger generation. He sounds like he might be an interesting guy to know.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Sometimes "everyone" can be quite an exclusive group. I think there's a whole doctoral thesis in political philosophy in how various people use the word "everyone" ...

5. slim tempo

slim tempo

Is it true that taking pictures of the thing steals its soul? Or was that in the past?

6. That is still with us today in a way with indigenous Australian culture. Some folks are offended by pictures of the dead.

This is more about respect for privacy, and especially it is more about respect for the quality of communication between human beings.

Ol' fella don't need no stinkin' paparazzi!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  7. SRMN8R

SRMN8R
    from Central VA
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Hey saints,

That's a tough lesson to learn, but one I'm sure you won't soon forget. If you want to follow up - do your homework, and find out the gentleman's name and mailing address. Send him a letter of apology, and let him know that you learned a valuable lesson.

- Jimmy

8. tcb-1

tcb-1

Very well said.....

9. rcrahn

rcrahn
    from San Jose

Drop off a handwritten note/card thanking him for sharing and apologize for upsetting him. Close with an invite to go to a car show with you in the future. This hobby is about making friends,sharing a passion and building lasting memories.

10. white64

white64
    from Maine

Got any pics!

11. Deuces

Deuces

A man!! I feel the same way...

12. your old guy was nice. this old guy here might not have let you leave with your phone. to me, taking a picture is the same as casing the place.

13. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I agree. Not everyone has a phone that takes pictures. Not everyone takes pictures all the time with a camera either. Wasn't like this ten years ago.
    Seems like there is going to be lots of legislation concerning invasion of privacy with the polferation of portable video logging devices.

14. 117harv

117harv

I will be 48 next month and that's how i feel too.^^^

I'm allways on the hunt for parts and cars and i know where alot of stuff is. Looking like i do, i have to be extra polite, i allways listen to their story of how long they have had it and where they got it with interest. I NEVER take pics without asking. I PMed a HAMBer who posted some of his photography here in a thread and asked if i could use one of them for my avatar....just good manors.

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I don't know you, but I'd like to come over, look through all your shit and photograph it... particularly the cool stuff you have in your shop... tools, shop equipment, welders, that '32 grill hanging on the wall... I'll "probably" just send the pic to a few of my friends, and they may send it to a few more friends, but hey, we're all friends, right? Nobody would sneak back and try to steal anything.
    Probably.

They're just pics of your stuff man... everybody takes pics...

-Brad

16. Some people are funny about pictures, always better to ask prior. it was a learning experience.

Maybe give it a week to settle down and show up with a pie for a peace offering and apologize. It could still work out well its just going to be work now.

but you learned something right?

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Ha Ha!! Let me have his address, I'll go buy the Coupe without taking pictures first.

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are lucky,you could be in a hole in the back yard and your car in his barn.You should have at the least asked first.A little respect goes a long way.The guy protects his stuff and his privacy .Probably a nice old car guy and you blew it.Lesson learned.

19. 66cayne

66cayne

The problem is now you have screwed it for the next guy stopping by... oh well, lesson learned.

20. 67cst

67cst

Don't shit on all young guys. I'm 28 and i know better, maybe its because my parents raised me to show respect. Hell i don't even own a camera and my phone doesnt take pictures..id rather spend money on parts then something that will be obsolete a couple of months later. If i need to take pictures ill borrow a camera from a buddy. Anyways thats too bad that the old timer gave you the bums rush that couldve potentially been a good score

21. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Just talking about here.....you f****ked up. Taking pictures? Really? what the hell were you thinking. Take pictures of stuff you own. Sorry but you just lost respect from a ole guy and screwed the pooch for the next kid.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my phone is attached to the wall with a curly cord. if I were to walk into a guys barn with my camera, he would know. it even looks like a camera, not a pack of smokes.

I couldn't imagine shooting a photo in a strangers place without asking.

23. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I'm 22; going on 23 and i can sympathize with you a little bit but yes; you should've asked out of respect. I'm sure that old timer takes a lot of great pride in his vehicles he has stashed away and there is a reason why they are protected and stashed away : because they are his and he doesnt want people messing with them...especially if theyre posted all over the internet.

i must add that i'm getting realy sick and tired of the old hags stating that today's generations are nothing but a bunch of sore losers with no respect or manners for anyone. Its an insult and i'm sorry but you've never met me and i think that you are being horribly disrespectful for generalizing every person being raised in todays world. you are far from right.

I'm a very hard working person who happens to be a gal who happens to be into a lot of things most kids/women my age are not into. I was raised right, in a great family, i have a great set of manners, i've never done drugs, i dont party, and my life doesnt revolve around alcohol. in fact; i dont even drink. I'm sure half you old timers could honestly say half that stuff. just because you wern't born pre 1980's doesn't mean youre a disrespectful, greedy, SOB, kid. and i'm not saying this just because i'm a girl...it goes both ways.

I would go back to the old timer and apologize and explain to him that you shouldve asked. go back with your dad and maybe it'll ease the ice a little bit. I feel like old timers think young'ns are just a bunch of good for nothing losers sometimes and theyre just waiting for the perfect moment to hate your guts. If you had you're dad with you he could probably relate a bit more and i'm sure the steam coming out of his ears has settled. If anything; just go back and apologize for not asking first and you're interested in hearing more about his cars

I'm a photographer who has an obsession with everything and anything OLD so as a photographer i'd be hard pressed to photograph these old cars stashed away in the old barn. not just to share with the online community (of course i wouldnt disclose the photograph location) but to document and treasure a moment that will be forgotten one day. People need to understand that once these old timers pass on who have these 30's, 40's, 50's cars stashed away in their barns and garages...the cars and the history and the "moment" go with them. When they die, everything on the property gets sent away and the house and property get sold. When all of these people from these old days pass on; there will be no more vintage barn finds.

I enjoy photographing those dust covered grills a paint peeking out into the sunshine they were just exposed to. its not about so much the car and the barn but more abotu capturing history, a treasure uncovered and the artistic element of it all

Remember to photograph respectfully and responsibly.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  24. bill wallace

bill wallace

Im an old man & you would need to ask me first too.

25. bill wallace

bill wallace

Im a old man & very generous but you would need to ask first.

26. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Brother in law just got a new job at a private race track as a tech guy. Worked a week and was so excited he took a couple of picts and put on facebook.
    Was fired the next day
    Jim

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

and thats one reason how to get people to not enjoy the hot rodding crowd. talk about respect.....

28. Larry T

Larry T

If that were the case, he'd have never made it past the front porch.

Just a difference in opinion of what is acceptable manners and what is not. And in this case, I agree with the owner.
    Larry T

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been mentioned that a lot of cell phone cameras have the ability to tag the picture with the GPS coordinates. I have a Blackberry that will put the coordinates into the "properties" section of the picture file, but doesn't actually display it on the picture. Attached is a picture that I took over the Christmas break, when we drove home to XXXX to see my parents. The GPS coordinates on the properties in the file are 41.1376, -95.8209. I can enter those into Mapquest, and it puts me within about 50 yards of where I took the picture, from a moving vehicle. If this info was actually included ON the picture, it would be very easy to find "the treasure". If your device puts the coordinates on the picture, be very careful who sees them.

Attached Files:

30. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Yup, a "may I" goes a long way with my generation. Guy that delivers oxygen supplies for my wife saw my chopped shoebox in the garage and asked if he could take a picture of it. I have to admit, being old, the first thing that popped into my mind was "what for, you setting me up for a burglary?" but you gotta have a basic trust in folks so I said sure. But there is a generational gap between some folks today and those of us born during WWII. Guess I don't understand why some folks live vicariously through electronic social media, posting pics and personal data out there for people they don't know to see and that messaging where they describe their whole day like a Red Sox play by play is foreign to me. For some, there are no boundaries anymore, it is all fair game and I agree, it is not all young folks. I know a lot of great young guys, but by the same token I have seen people open the doors on my car at a cruise night and once had parents smiling while their spiteful urchin tried to turn the front fender on my '33 five window into a damn slide (I have my cane "corked" with a lead plug near the bottom in case I need to teach some manners). By the same token, the guy didn't need to go beyond "please, no pictures, I don't want public knowledge of my property" as it appears up until that point you and he were getting along.