Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects old world and new world colide and I get kicked off his land

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Feb 14, 2011.

1. saints

saints

well as usual I found myself in a back road and passed by a 55 Buick special and turned around and stopped and knocked on the door and the older gentleman answered and was nice enough to show me the car... well I asked if there was any interest in selling and he said yea $2000 no bad and we started talking cars so he takes me out back down a hill and there was a tin building kind of stuck in the woods and he pulled open the door and there set a 38 Chevy....well we talked awhile and I told him money was a little tight on account of imp working on a model a and his eyes lit up and he pulled open a metal door dividing the barn and there set a perfect 30 ford coupe that hasn’t been drove in forever judging by the dust.....Then it went downhill I thought cool and pulled out my phone to take a pick and he flipped he ask what I was doing and I tried to let him know that I was merely taking a pick to show my dad and I do this to kind of keep a log of cool cars and there story and he flipped out saying forget it ,don’t take pics you can get in your truck and leave while im telling him I’m sorry if I offended him and assured him I hadn’t taken any pictures......man it was touch and go there for a moment I was behind his house in somewhat of some woods with a pissed off old man.... I drove off dumb founded that it had escalated to that over a picture guess the guy maybe thought he was getting staked out or maybe he was Amish...im still dumb founded by it all guess i was out of line...ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

2. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

My opinion is that If I just met you and you started to take pics without asking. You would have been asked to leave. You should have asked.

3. saints

saints

Yea I guess your right but this day and age everyone does it and I take advantage that everyone knows and accepts it...lesson learned

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's the problem! Not EVERYBODY does that! I know overly techy younger guys think everybody does everything, but asking is the proper way to go...

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i wouldnt have flipped out but i would have thought you were very rude. Im 30.

6. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I always ask before taking any pics unless its at a show....go back with a fistfull of cash and get that coupe! Or send your dad to get it.....

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

The old man was just protecting his pride and joy . He was very nice to show you all his possessions that he has worked hard to buy over his life time .
    Then all the sudden you pulled out a camera to start taking pictures of his cars and he doesn't know you from a hill of beans . People of that age and living in no mans land still live by the old ways ! You always ask the owner before you do anything and you should have know that !
    Did you ever think that he still lives in the 1940's or 1950's where people ASKED something before doing anything ? Did you ever consider what he thinks of a quest he brought onto his property to just up and do anything they wanted to without asking , Sir , would you mind if I take a picture of your 30 to show my Dad since he loves them so much ? I bet you wold have let you sit in the car and do anything but drive it .

This is what's wrong with this country . People take everything for granite and have no respect for other peoples property .
    You live in a far different time than he does , so next time consider the people that you stop and knock on the door of .
    I am not trying to bust your balls but people need to respect other people and their property . Next time you might get a lot more than what he did to you !

Retro Jim

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It goes for new world to new world as well. Myself and some buddies where at a location on an invite. Well this place was Bad Ass and the Cars there are unreal. Will lets just say theres more than what meets the eye and none of us said anything till after, but we dared not even take anyphotos.
    Back to the thread, he had a sence of trust in you. But to share with the world with pics that proves whats there on the property was probably too much.

9. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Very well said Jim

10. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Yep, it comes down to manners younger generation does not think a thing about photographing everything.

There's a teenage neighbor kid a few doors down that comes by to check out stuff that I'm working on. He tried that a time or two when he first started stopping by. He asks now :D

I'm not that old 39 but I don't want pictures of all my shit all over facebook :confused:

I don't understand the need to photograph and share everything you do with everybody you know.

Plus some of the stuff is stuff I'm working on for other people and they don't want it all over the place either.

11. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

in that situation if we are just talking cars and im showing you my shit that may be for sale, and you whip out a camera id be pissed and tell you to move on. would shake your hand if you wanted pictures at the gas station or something, but dont take pictures of stuff in my garage.

by the way im only 25.

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Unless I'm at an event where cars are on public display like a car show or swap meet I always ask permission to take pictures of anyones stuff. I expect the same courtesy.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have asked first, hell I ask on the side of the road otherwise I just feel rude. That is unless the owner is no where to be seen, I guess common sense?

Doc.

14. well I'll give you some credit , just don't be that "everyone" again.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

In this tech filled world, there was an article about how cell phone pics incorporate GPS coordinates. Having a stranger take pics without permission, especially of treasure in a remote area, I would be fearful of thieves coming in the night.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  16. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I am one of the "old guys" with a barn full of cars down by the woods. I don't show much to anybody that I don't know. a couple of visits to the shop might get you the grand tour. Reason is that you don't know who is casing the place. Unfortunetly the world as I knew it years ago is gone.
    A shame but thats the way it is. Just glad I lived my youth in anothere time........

17. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I gotta admit... i'm 60 and I just learned something from reading this thread.... good lesson!

18. I Drag

I Drag

Wrong move: If you look at the cars, only you know about them. If you take a pic and show it around, soon everyone will know about them. Not what the old man wants, and if you're smart, not what you want either.

19. saints

saints

well I was raised to be respectful and heck half the time i think thats why I get as far as I do but most the time I dont think of taking pics... I guess it was a duh moment and I paid for it as far as the cars I think the 55 was the only thing for sale

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Yes

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

What gets me is when Im cruisin down the road and someone thinks its cool to drive next to me trying to take a pic.....ussually ends with me screaming some choice words with a finger out the window!!! Hard enough to keep bias ply tires in the lane without some jackass sharing it with me for a pic!!

22. saints

saints

yea I just was at a yard in Okemah and he actually set traps to keep people away from his cars....I can understand that he doesn&#8217;t want his stuff all over but I guess I know I&#8217;m a honest person he didn&#8217;t and that&#8217;s were the barrier fell down<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

23. saints

saints

HAHAHAHAH cant say I havnt been that guy

24. skoh73

skoh73

Yep, watch out for those GPS coordinates showing up in the pictures!!! Someone will show up at yer place looking to make off with your ride, your gear, etc.. Disable the GPS function on your cameras folks.

25. big creep

big creep

x2, i always ask before i take a picture of peoples personal property.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Respect and courtesy still go a long way. I'm 56 and say "Yes Ma'am" to ladies younger than me. Even to Tuners who joke about my old truck I tell them in a nice way to eat shit.

27. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I would have asked myself, although I'll admit I've taken pictures of cool cars for sale on the side of the road to show my friends. If it isn't for sale I don't take a picture. I know a lot of people in my generation (26) who think nothing of taking pictures of anything and everything.

28. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Damn young whipper snappers!;)

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im sure your intentions were pure..
    But I would not be happy if someone followed me home and started taking pictures of my stuff and place.
    The fact that the guy let you see his stuff blows my mind, but some people dont expect to be filmed, and in this day and age of cameras and the ability to bring all that info out to an unsavory world puts me at edge too.
    I have even had pictures up on this site that i thought nothing of in the past, that i went and took down, just because there was too much info in them about me.
    With car and project theft these days, one cannot be too careful i guess.

at my Business, we dont allow any picture taking, we might give someone a picture of something taken by us, if we feel it benifits the situation, but we dont allow anyone else to do the clicking. Protection of proprietary info

30. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Well alrighty then saints I think you have learnt your lesson. You have just taken a major _ss whipin here. It all about respect and I think you know what that is about now So don't dwell on the past look to the future and always remember the friends or piers from the HAMB that have sent you in the right direction. You can't go wrong. Also kudos to you for sharing a story about being in the wrong. :)