Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Heard the same rumor, dirt11353, but nothing more in a few weeks.

2. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

3. jrose7004

jrose7004

John, I never worked from the track but I can see that it would be exciting. Closest I ever came to working from the track was a extremely low flagstand in Lawton OK where your flag could hit the Outlaw Sprint cars on top of the wings as they passed!

4. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

There's a color pix of this car on Sportsdrome Old School on facebook.

5. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

There's a color pix of this car on Sportsdrome Old School on facebook.

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Greg, I'm going to have to check out that Facebook page. Thanks.

7. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

Yes be sure to. I just got it started. I hope it will really take off.

8. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

9. Falconred

Falconred

I really regrett that I have never gotten to see a race at Winchester. Some of the ASA folks I've talked to said that sometimes you couldn't see far enough into the turns to avoid wrecks because of the banking.

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Falconred, that may be an exaggeration, but I'm not so sure. I recall some guys saying they thought about cutting a slot in the roof above the windshield so they could see farther ahead. We had very few single-car wrecks in ASA at Winchester because the place was so fast and the competition so intense. I got through the last 400-lapper I worked there, in 1984, without a multi-car incident. I'll admit we did have a couple of "quick" yellows when I saw somebody about to get in trouble.

11. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

Found a couple more from the ASA.
    Buddy Schrock @ Winchester
    Don Gregory @ Nashville

12. Falconred, doing the right thing can be very difficult. But you can take comfort in the fact that you did what a true friend should do. I never knew Butch personally; I did get him to sign the back of rain check when I was a kid. Most folks like me just took the good times in, sounds like you tried to comfort in the tough times, that’s more than I can say for myself.

But I agree with your assessment, Butch was always clean, first class or friendly, as I recall. I remember Jack Ingram used the whole track in one of the two BGN races that ran at Greenville, to keep Butch behind him. Butch was clearly faster that night (and I do have tons of respect for Jack), but Butch ran him clean and did not do the bump and run stuff that seems to be standard in today’s racing. Butch won the other one; I think he lapped the field.

I only remember Butch showing frustration once, and that was at Martinsville in a Cup race. He had a few words to say about Bobby Allison on the MRN airwaves, but even after that they both ran at GPS a few weeks later against each in a spirited but clean battle, and were making jokes about the Martinsville episode after the race.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  13. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks, It really seems to affect you more when it is someone you have been around a lot, it was similar to when Neil Bonnett got killed, you felt you had lost someone closer to you than just a story on the evening news.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic. One great story after another . . .

Just wanted to say Thanks again John for such an awesome thread (and thanks Ryan for appreciating what it brings to the HAMB).

15. Dr. John

Dr. John

Lancaster (NY) Speedway, 1972. Jim McGraw spins after tangling with 1971 Late Model champion Sege Fidanza. McGraw went on to win the '72 title and the Late Models were dropped at the end of the season in favor of the then-new Street Stocks.
    [​IMG]
    Gordon Reinig photo

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

BrerHair, thanks for the kind words, and thanks to Ryan also. I just had a few photos I wanted to post and decided to make a place to put them. I had absolutely no idea it would get the reception it has, and I'm happy that other people appreciate the race cars and racing we had back in the day. Thanks to all.

17. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Phenomenal Photo! I always wanted to see a Stock Car Race in the 60s but,growing up in Colo! I live on the E.Coast now, wheres a good event to see some of these restored Stockers??? Also, looks like driver in T-Bird has his elbow out the window-Sunday Drive!

18. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

In 2008 they ran a Vintage Stock car race on the Milwaukee Mile just before the Craftsman TRuck Race..'57 Chevys',old Ford Fairlanes,Chargers and Chevelles from the '60's all battling it out.Even a winged Superbird or two in the mix....too bad they don't do that again.

19. binkerbo

binkerbo
    from Wisconsin

They ran those races the last couple of times NASCAR ran in Milwaukee. In 2006 the NASCAR races coincided with a Superbird convention. I woke up the morning of the Truck race to find a flock of 25 nesting in the hotel parking lot. Very cool.

20. Falconred

Falconred

I ran across these in my photos while looking for something else and just had to post them.

21. lostspeedway.webs.com

lostspeedway.webs.com
    from Wisconsin

Marv Marzofka in 1972. He drove the car owned and sponsored by Moose Peterson of Black River Falls Wi. He was very successful driver in the Mid West.

22. Warbird7

Warbird7

Photo from the Milwaukee wing car meet at the Mile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  23. lostspeedway.webs.com

lostspeedway.webs.com
    from Wisconsin

Bill Lindner's #72 Chevelle. He did a lot of racing at the Neillsville Race Track back in the early 70's. Notice his means of transporting his car. These drivers had to be quite resourceful back in the day.

24. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

That white 'bird with the blue hood in the first pic was one that actually raced with the vintage cars in 2008 in a actual race just before the Nascar Truck race. I think!
    Looks like Superbird heaven.

25. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Haven't added anything for awhile - time to put in another Photo of the Day. This is Marvin Smith @ Kil-Kare in Xenia, Ohio, probably 1968. He always ran well there. Enjoy.
    The Oldtimer[​IMG]

26. butch27

butch27

I don't think that is Killkare . There are no houses around the track.

27. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

My Great Uncle raced this in the 1950s at Fonda Speedway in NY.

28. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

What was great uncles name ?

29. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

Tony Severino

30. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Oh yeah, that's Kil-Kare. Just a funny camera angle coming out of turn two - and a long zoom lens.

da Oldtimer....