Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lake style headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steves29, Feb 14, 2011.

1. steves29

steves29

Any body got advice for me? Been comparing coated lake style headers from Speedway and Sanderson Limefires. One uses gaskets one not.

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

3. Don't forget Patriot Lakesters either.
    As far as gaskets or not, that is a marketing deal from Sanderson. Many header companies now build their headers with what are called Sealing Beads, which are welds around the head side of the flange that are then ground flat. Sanderson recommends just using silicone on the welded bead and no gasket, some customers say it works, I've seen others on here complain about leaks. We believe that the sealing bead allows for a bit more crush into a gasket for a better seal. We do have customers that run our headers with only silicone as well.
    As far as style of Lakerster headers, the big difference is we flow the primary tubes into the cone with a curve for a better flow and cleaner look, the others go straight into the cone. Matter of preference.

4. MCM

MCM

I bought the Sanderson ones with the ceramic coating, I like 'em. Had a few issues with my order (took a few weeks longer than expected, guy told me they were boxed up and shipping out the next morning when they weren't even made yet, that sort of thing), but overall I was happy...

Attached Files:

5. Checksix!

Checksix!

I bought the Speedway headers and they looked like they were welded by drunk monkeys.

Dave

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Saltflatmatt...

HAMBer

need I say more?
    ok..i will
    Best quality i have seen
    Thick Flanges
    Tig welded
    Very Professional
    Dam well worth it

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used some Sandersons and my main issue was the angle of the tube that exits out the bottom of the cone to hook up to the main exhaust. It would work better if it had a slight angle to the rear. I'm spoiled because I used to get outside headers from a private builder that called his company So-Cal Headers. He was expensive but they were tits. He retired, moved up to the north country.

8. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, we do coated headers. It's not on my site but we have it done.

Tell us what your building? I assume a model A by your user name.

I have a brand new fixture for sb chevys in model A's... It's super trick and pics won't be on my site till after the Round Up. I did'nt plan on selling them until then but.... If you want a pic PM me and I'll shoot some pics at the shop and email them out to you.

9. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

saltflatmat, excellent quality

10. steves29

steves29

Hi. Building a 29 pickup with 53 flathead, fenderless. Rear exhaust ports just above top of frame rails. Would like removeable caps with 2 inch outlets. My e mail is [email protected]. Idea on price and time. Thanks. Steve

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  11. More like opiated 12 year olds.

There are several fellas on here that put out an exceptional product for a reasonable price. Saltflat mat for example.
    I have heard good and bad about sanderson mostly to do with customer service and not the quality of the header.

12. tpahemi

tpahemi

I have the Sanderson Jaysters, coated,I paid about$600, They are beautiful, but noy perfect. The rightside header, perfect, the collector is straight inline with the 4pipes. The leftside header is awful, when the collector was attached and welded to the 4pipes, instead of straight, it is welded at a 5% downward angle.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just ordered a U -weld lakes header kit with turnouts from Hedman.

Through Summit.

Attached Files:

14. Dustmite Dragster

Dustmite Dragster

Support the hard working man and his fine product! Gear Drive! and SaltFlatMatt! Ive got them on my A. By the way Matt got any turnouts?

15. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Call Matt and be done with it. You'll never look back.

16. Dirty2

Dirty2

Sell ya mine !

Attached Files:

17. daddio211

daddio211

18. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Matt made mine and I couldn't be happier !!

19. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Mine are Sanderson's with no issues.

Attached Files:

21. Speedway cone style headers are mades by patriot. We sell em and use them on our builds.....Kelly

22. hacknslash

hacknslash

DRuss32 was that a kit? If so what brand? They look good!

23. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I bought the Speedway headers and they looked like they were welded by drunk monkeys.

That is some pretty funny S#$%

24. steves29

steves29

Got the Speedway headers. Same monkey welded mine but they fit well and sort of got that home made look I was gona have if I did it.

25. Frank32

Frank32

I have Sanderson Limefire headers (coated) on my car with car chemistry inserts, they both worked great! I used gaskets on them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

We have a local company that does thermocoatings so I have been doing my own and for several others. Just buy a kit and have at it. Headers are actually a very good place to learn basic fabrication skills and get proficient at gas welding.

Frank

27. Build 'em yourself. I made mine from a 36 Ford driveshaft.

[​IMG]

28. old bone

old bone
    from maine

hey do a build thread on these will ya...

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

29. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Just used Speedway kit-inexspensive. You have to take your time assembling them but I really like how they turned out. The gaskets that came with them could be better, but for the most part it's all good!