Register now to get rid of these ads!

trouble selling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOBCORP, Feb 12, 2011.

1. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I usually find that the right stuff sells. I've seen a lot of ridiculously high prices on stuff. There is not a single 60s era more door car that is worth more than 800 bucks if it doesn't run. I see tons of those types of cars priced way beyond what they should be. I have a 53 Willys two door, even priced at scrap price it still didn't sell. Car has a good running six and a title but rusted severely. I won't go lower since I know the next stop for that thing will be the crusher. I had a couple of 57 Chevy 4 doors I sold last year. I sold them for more than I paid for them and both sold pretty quickly. Usually I try to spend no more than 500 bucks on an old car. Usually at that price I can get at least what I paid for it back out of it.

Depends on how you define it. Certainly by the standards of a third world nation I am not poor, but by the standards of the one I live in I am. For 2010 I did pretty well however it wasn't always so.

I first started out living in a shack on swamp land I got cheap. The payment was less than half the biggest slum place I could rent. I scraped up enough money from the 8 dollar an hour crap job I worked at for a down payment. Since I had no money left over after putting down the 10 percent payment I built a shack out of pallets and old tin. Heck even the nails were used. There was no electric or water. Things got better, got a free mobile home, got some solar panels from my Uncle when he passed on. Wound up selling the place 3 years later at a profit which I used to buy the place I live now. I now finally live in the 21st century. Last year I got the bathroom to work, got a refrigerator (first time ever since leaving home), hot water, and a reliable heat source.

When I lived out in the swamp I would wake up to 12 below temps in the trailer home. The entire time I lived in the swamp I had Internet. I had a laptop that my friend had found in a dumpster. I got it to work with some tinkering. I love how people try and claim the mere fact that someone has a cell must mean that they aren't that bad off :rolleyes: I paid less than 20 bucks a month for cell and internet service. There was absolutely no option for a land line which still would have cost more than 20 dollars. Also since I don't live in say Cambodia a phone is a necessity for obtaining work.

[​IMG]

The shack, better than a dirt hut I suppose. I was living the good life (after all I did have a cell phone), surfing the net until my car's battery got too low and shitin' in a hole. Nothing screams I got loads of cash like having cheapo tarps covering up the roof so I don't get wet :rolleyes:

2. Phil, ...now I feel rich! thanks for the story, good luck to you.

3. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Yep, It's a good time to buy if you've got any money, I have been checking your ad out every week for many months, wished I had the cash it's a nice car. If I could sell my Nova I would buy it.
    Dave, over hear in Arlington.

4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Seems like trading is the only thing happening. I traded a '41 Ford Pickup hulk for a '40 DeLuxe Tudor sedan hulk, then traded that and a '39 Pickup hulk for a nice built '41 Fordor, running and licensed. Took some time, but now I'm a driver. Got a sweet '41 chassis that I can't get anybody to even LOOK at for sale.

5. Anyone who says "the market is fine, it's just your prices" and Lives in the U.S. needs a serious reality check. Laid off for the winter, $400 a month unemp check because my employer jumped through a loophole and a nice stack of medical bills. Talked to my boss a week ago and now I'm starting to wonder If I'm gonna get called back this spring. I hope the market is still there for parts, cause I'm gonna have to sell my junk to survive! I am not in the minority here. Those of you who are still at or above the financial level you were 10 years ago should consider yourselves lucky as there are many of us who have taken a great tumble in the last few years. I used to work manufacturing jobs and made good money doing it. I am now a part time city employee- a job I was told would be "safe" because government jobs are "good paying" and "will always be there"- all untrue in times of deficit spending. All that is left around here are low paying service jobs. Many of us are spending our time chasing what little money is left as it circles the drain straight out of America. Things are most definitely not getting better. And by the way, I work my ass off and I am skilled labor. I am a skilled cabinetmaker (and no, I don't mean the "Amish" made crap you but at Lowe's, I mean high-end fine cabinetry and furniature.) I am also a skilled CNC machine operator an an expert at maximizing efficiency. If it comes down to it I guess I'll be flipping burgers, if anyone can afford to buy one. Still swimming in Illinois- Luke

P.S. Keep fighting Phil, it's those of us at the botom that will eventually fix this thing as those at the top have no idea how it even works. Baby birds don't ask "how did we get up in this tree", they just assume they belong there. Put them on the ground and see how long they last.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. 5window

5window

No horse at all, my friend. Just asked you to explain. You did, You set a price, someone wants you to justify it to them. Where do you start? If your car's not listed on one of the services, then that's an opportunity to educate a potential buyer as to why your vehicle is worth what you are asking. Just because they aren't as knowledgeable as you are doesn't mean they are not potential buyers.

If you are selling locally, sure, that's where regional prices come in. If you are selling on the HAMB or Ebay or one of the hotrod selling marketplaces, then you are dealing nationally or internationally and you'd need to, again, be able to educate a potential buyer why your price is justified.

I guess I just find it odd that you profess to be happy to be buying at prices below what you think would be "normal" but complain that no one wants to pay you what you think your car is worth. End of the day, if your car is worth what you are asking, it likely will sell, or should have sold. So either you aren't placing it in the right market, or the market doesn't agree with your valuation. In either case, I wish you good luck.

7. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I've been trying to sell my 55 chieftain at a loss since june, I even had a guy who said he had his eye on it for a while get all excited when I said I only wanted $600 for it. He said he would definitely be back for it.. that was september.

P.S. Phil, stick with it man, I was there too for a few years, I used to live in an abandoned trailer house that my uncle had lived in 15 years earlier. No water, electricity, heat or ac. I remember my second winter there, I tried to light my oil lamp to take a piss in the middle of the night and it wouldn't light:confused: Turns out the oil froze.

8. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

Everyone seems to have it rough... but always remember someone probably has it worse or at sometime will

9. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Consumer spending on certain things is way down. Old automobiles are near the top of the very expensive toy list. People will spend money on entertainment. Events will be well attended this summer. People arn't in the mood to buy additional toys much less enter into a build. The project market is about dead right now.

10. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I agree with the time of year. I always wait until after April to advertise if I am selling. Where are you advertising? If you don't saturate the internet buyers can't find it. There are many classic car sites. Some that generate up to 750,000 or more hits per day. I don't bother with evilbay when it comes to selling. I have only had 1 or 2 cars sell on eb for what I wanted for them. I have a high traffic corner near my home that the owner gives me permission to park my vehicles to sell. If they sell, I give her $100 and everyone is happy.

11. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

A big problem is, I live 150- or more miles for any metropolitian areas

That is why I made the comment earlier about coming to look at it. I simply have had zero, I mean zero, people come to check it out

12. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

One of my clients who is very wise and successful told me in 2009 that "when things come back" that it would only be back to 80% of 2008!

Everybody in this country has been spending money they don't have (credit) to buy too much stuff they don't need - 20% too many coffee shops, discount stores, car dealers, restaurants, bass boats, classic cars, clothes, vacations, you name it.

I've also been saying for years that the explosion of street rods, giant 4x4's and "investment" classics was being financed by home equity loans, credit cards and paid-up life policies. It isn't political to state that working wages in this country have been flat for over 20 years - easy credit has just fooled us into ignoring that fact.

So the "value" of whatever you have is still exactly what someone is willing to pay you for it. Only now it's only cash out of pocket.

13. I have learned from reading on the HAMB that you don't count build labor in the sale price of a vehicle. With that said, just add up what you think the bolted together parts are worth and sell it for that!!!

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a great idea. Just forget all of the bullshit and recession talk. Think about it for just a minute...do your tires last longer? Will you wash your clothes in the river if your washing machine breaks? Did you stop feeding yourself? What if your garage door broke off? Would ya fix it? Life will march on regardless of what people consume themselves with. Is it a buyer's market right now? Fuckin eh right it is. Behave accordingly. I say hold out for your price and tell everyone you know to do the same. Why give shit away? So you can piss the dollars away on things that might be gone in a year or less? I know some of us have fallen on hard times due to employers themselves even following the media and fear, plus what the financial sector did. FUCK EM! Stand tall and talk up every positive spin you can. How massive were the crowds at the GNRS? By the reports I was able to read here it was fuckin insane. I bet those were not cheap tickets either.

No matter what, standing firm will net better results. Tell it like it is, EXACTLY like it is, and see what happens. Is it a good time to open a hot rod shop? Well maybe not on a corner in Detroit where there's a dozen forclosures on the block. But if someone had ideas of opening a used rod shop that did consignments as well as bought and sold, I believe it would eventually create it's own niche market for it's area. Everybody still wants our shit. Everybody that's in to it that is. Not everything that's for sale is coming from a destitue individual crying "will work for food". It's for sale, period. For those that are struggling and need to liquidate, help them out if you're in the market for what they got. Don't beat em up. Play fair. Above all, LIVE that idea. Don't buy the depressing bullshit that ruins your mood. Hot rods are kool and enthusiasm is contageous. Works for me...well most of the time, but that's another story.

15. That guide is just a guide. You're going to be hard-pressed to buy a running Model A of any stripe for under $5000, unless it's a rolling chassis with a seat on it. I sold my pickup for $3500 with no motor, no fenders, and a bunch of 2x4s wired inside the cab to make sure it didn't collapse. I've seen coupes in similar shape bring as much - and this year, too.

On the other hand we have a '39 Pontiac here that's priced in line with the book at around $3500; it needs some tinkering but turns over, has new tires, new uhpolstery and a New Jersey real honest to goodness title instead of just a NY reg. Someone offered $1250 for it the other day.

I just tell people I'm not starving and don't care. Selling things is a lot of work, takes a lot of patience, and you have to put up with people who have no concept of the world outside their own little bit of experience. I actually took payments on a car to get it sold, but I got my price for it. I just sold a transmission I'd been sitting on for 2 or 3 years, via an eBay "good until cancelled" ad that costs 20 cents a month. I think I have one of my buddy's wierder cars sold too.

In fact I'm finding just the opposite lately, I've had guys come out of the woodwork and I can't even show them anything because of the snow - had a guy ask about a motor that I have for sale and it's still in the car, I won't be able to get to it until possibly April between the snow and the mud that follows. Have had several people after our '38 Olds tudor too, and I haven't even bothered with more pictures because it's snowed in and I'd have to spend an hour digging it out to take pictures that show anything.

16. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

The market is flooded. Hard times have emptied savings accounts and now are emptying garages. The europeans are buying American iron and that's about all.

17. Maybe the Chinese need a rod shop? Anybody got an extra plane ticket to China laying around?

18. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

That shack is awesome. Yeah, sometimes perspective is what some folks need. I know I'm not starving, but my $13k in income last year versus $65k+ in 08 has taken some adjusting.. Stuff is moving slower but buyers are still out there if you are patient.

19. Should turn the pallet around so you don't fall in the hole... ^^^^^^^^^^

I watched some of the prices on Hot Rods drop faster than a girls panties on prom night and they still remain unsold...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just sold an O/T car I needed gone in a hurry. I priced it below the market to get the hell rid of it and now its gone and out of my hair.

I don't know what it's like to sell an expensive car, but selling a cheap car is not fun.

It was worth getting a few hundred less than I wanted to not have to listen to the tirekickers.

21. Totally agree bobwop. While I enjoy dabling with the 1,500-5,000 cars and trucks to help support my love of the hobby, the only thing I would add is some "patience" to this equation. Really haven't had many problems here.

22. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Well, some good comments here, as FritzTownFord: "So the "value" of whatever you have is still exactly what someone is willing to pay you for it. Only now it's only cash out of pocket.
    As on the other side of the Atlantic, i´m trying to follow, and see also your troubled daily way on life. For us in Europe it should then be great times on buying cars/parts,etc. But some troubles in economic have striked her too, just check Ireland , and for shure peoples in Britten, Germany, etc. could give the same way of views.
    Parts/accessories at ´net has gone down the last year, and belived cars too, but the thing somebody really wants, who fit their taste, should get the value. Many of the socalled lists are made up of the prices on the last ones announced similars, and will never reflect the changes in prices on differences in status, etc. and should just be used as an direction for a possible pricetag.

I´should be pretty lucky living in Norway, but some has changed here too........and a friend in US, shipping cars,parts,etc. to Norway, a good measurepoint for me, says markets up and down, even if its gone down the last years. Now its quite down, pretty because the month of highest payment a year came on, insurance,gov.car taxes,etc., and then of course trade lowers down. All over people seem to be thinkin´some more before tossing money on just plain fun with a toy. , and thats not just over there, but on this side of the ocean too. If just the US got it, then should at least the market international gone straight up w/ the low $.......in exchange.
    I think Europe havent seen bottom yet, and i hope not the day comes, for shure.
    Good luck to everyone "down the basement", Keep up, its just one way it could go,UP!! As mentioned, patience would surely be in place on theese time.

23. Da Flash

Da Flash

OK Kids,
    There are a lot of folks of a certain age that have done well in their lives and have the money to spend in odd places, like old cars.
    I sold two fairly high dollar cars in December, before and after Christmas because some one out there thought they like them well enough to lay down the long green.
    Never give up,
    Da Flash

24. 55chevr

55chevr

Homes on Long Island are selling for 2/3 of what they sold for 2 years ago ... $350,000 houses are selling for $220,000. It has to have an effect on the hot rod market as they are really toys. If you have the money now is the time to buy.

25. I think most "real" hot rodders want to fix up their own stuff therefore the cheaper unfinished cars will always be in demand.
    The high dollar finished cars,IMO, were usually bought by the guy who got a fat bonus on Wall Street and really were'nt hot rodders but just guys who wanted something cool to cruise around in on a sunday.
    Since this economy is so unstable and nobody really knows what's coming next I think people are holding on to the cash they would otherwise not think twice about spending.

26. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I support LAURA'S BUSH

27. 2935ford

2935ford

This hobby has always gone through the regular ups and downs but I'm not so sure this is just one of those regular ups and downs!
    Has there ever been such an upsidedown trade deficit like this before?
    Has to affect everything sooner or later!

28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Yeah, the economic times have definitely slowed things down. After perusing this thread a bit, this thought comes to mind:

Yeah, you can sell a lot of stuff, generally the stuff under $2,000. It's hard to sell stuff over that, but I think that's because of the system we use over here in America- credit.

If you're selling a car for say $6,000- it's hard to find a buyer for that. Because we like to get paid in cash, but people generally don't make big buys in cash. Anything that big they go on the payments for.

So you need to find a buyer who's interested in what you have, and enough money sittin' in the bank to take it off your hands. And that can be pretty difficult depending on what you're trying to sell.

29. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i dont see it.
    things seem to be selling from what i see.

its the vehicles themselves. there are 'plenty of buyers out there with money!'
    for instance,
    a small block chevy powered nice looking early ford coupe with $15.00 40 ford wheels and a 39 ford transmission with a 40 ford rear is pretty much dead or lowER priced. add some nice wheels, an automatic or maybe 'maybe' a more modern 4 speed like a muncie. for sure a more modern rear like a 9", front disc brakes and that would make a HUGE difference. that would add many many more buyers for that vehicle.

a maroon colored 55 chev convertible with a custom interior with all the chrome and door handles removed, and a customized front end sitting next to an original looking 55 belair convertible with all the original trim, factory 2 tone colors, late model chev V8, good brakes and original styled interior. those 2 cars sitting side by side for the same money or maybe the original looking one is higher there would be 10 to 1 on that original looking rag top. way more people wanting that one.

if the car is RIGHT it will sell!! --- traditional cars are really cool but there are far less buyers. -- its hard to explain but im around it all day everyday i see what sells.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  30. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

I have had no problem selling good cars at the right price,hot rods,rat rods,customsP.U.s,Crigslist is not the place to sell unless you want to give away.I sent two over seas.YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE MONEY WIRE and wait until the crocked Banks OK the funds.USE your head went selling.I have sold 18 in two monthsand have now going up for sale,55 ford sedan,56 ford sedan,both 4 sp,56 ford crown vivc,64 dodge polara converible,63 dodge polara 500,one owner,mint,2004 chev silver 4x4 6in lift,has everything,like new,97 ford crew cab Diesel dullie.Not trying to sell here but they will all be gone soon.I do sell a 31 ford coupe chopped top,350,auto new front end,should have sold for a lot more than i got but nice kid,first hot rod so he got a real good buy,but was only one here that called.Could have got double on E-Bay.a lot of you don't like it or know how to get on there to list cars but you have to get them out there to a bigger lot of people.We all put a lot of time in these cars and try to get are cost back.I am not a dealer but have been doing for along time .Use to build them but getting to old so now i look for people like you that just give up on trying to sell.I love the cars like you all but can't keep them all. GOOD LUCK,Dave