Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShastaLake

ShastaLake

2. If you read the thread on the link attached you will find that this is in fact an independent manufacturer of cars called the "Australian 6" . Was a Sydney based company. TJ Richards was and Adelaide based company. Well worth the read.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=134782

3. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

4. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

5. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Indy 1964 . Looks like AP photos for distribution.

6. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Simply titled "Old Car Gathering"
    Beats me.

<CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

7. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Camping in 1927

<CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

8. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

'37 Studebaker and man's best friend.

<CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  9. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Getting stuck never changes.
    Been there and done that.

<CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey there, SixDogs. I saw this wonderul pic about a year ago on a Stude site. There was no explanation, but it must have been part of a Stude fan's collection. I do hope osmebody else may recoginize the general locale. But it is surely an OLD gathering, since the vehicels all seem to be ca. 1930 or earlier. Wish I knew more! --Jimi

[​IMG]

11. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

If you had a 45 (RPM) record player in the early-mid '50's, you were to be admired. My sister carried her case everywhere. Printed on this one is "Rock Around The Clock."
    The tune "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and The Comets is widely regarded as the beginning of rock and roll.
    And Bill's curley-Q haircut --below, center--inspired many early JD's and hot rodders.

-----

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  12. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

sixdogs

I had the pleasure of working with and knowing three of the men in the photo you posted of the Comets as the Marketing Director for the Dick Clark theater in Branson, Missouri. Great guys all!

Two of the three - Dick on Drums and Joey on sax - still tour and play. Marshal, who is on the stand up fiddle stopped playing with the band last season as he lost a leg due to medical issues and it is hard to stand and play for the length of the sets with the prostetic.

Everyday these guys would pass my office on the way to the stage for their show, stop in to say hello or just give me a thumbs up. Dick is and always will be one of my favorite friends from those times. One of the greatest guys I have ever meet, and always a cool story to share! A true musician and at 85 years young still hits the skins on the drums - did a 5 minute drum solo in every show, 6 days a week back in 2009!

I will dig around and see if I can find any old photos I have of them, and post them in this thread.

Thanks
    Larry

Here is a couple I found on the hard drive at home. Side note - before Bill Haley and the Comets, the band was known as Bill haley and the Saddlemen. Marshal is the last surviving member from that band. Bill wrote Rock Around the Clock on the kitchen table at Marshals house. There were many members that came and went through the years as Comets....but the ones you see in the photo sixdogs posted were the very original guys, the ones that started it all!

[​IMG]
    In this photo on both sides - Marshal on top, Dick in middle and Joey on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  13. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Long Roof Larry----Wow....

Where else but the HAMB can we assemble such a group of guys that have seen and done most all of it?

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's a few postcards from Indy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the difference in the tires on Parnelli Jones' car in 1964

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  15. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

I am just excited I actually got something to add to this thread!!! I look at it everyday and am in amazement at what you guys post. My one humble offering is way over due....at 41 years of age myself, I look at most - if not all of this stuff as a history lesson about the people, places and things that made us who we are today.

16. i spot a 1974 Cutlass in the driveway, the rear of a 1975 Cutlass on the left side of the picture and that "ugly one" may have been called a Cutlass Salon, probably 1978. if my memory is not failing me. That was also the era when they tried to put diesels in those, due to the "OPEC Energy Crisis" or rather "extortion".:rolleyes:

17. noboD

noboD

I had a model car of the Willard Battery Special, sure wish I had it now. Always thought it was the very best looking race car ever.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sixdogs, I was thinking the same. Its amazing the diversity this site enjoys, every day there is something new like this that makes me proud to be a member.

Doc.

19. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

That is a '73 in the driveway and a '74 or '75 parked on the street.

20. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

:eek::eek::eek:
    http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Studebaker/

Brimen
    NORWAY
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brimen/

21. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

22. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

23. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

24. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

25. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

[​IMG]

Project 2000 was the local Australian design project for the first Holden. Based at the Woodville plant, it created a lot of good ideas for a locally produced Holden car. Some ideas, like the 2008, made it all the way to a full-scale prototype, but nothing ever made it into production. The 2008, built over a Willys Overland chassis, was the final proposal and for the 1940s period the streamlined styling and square headlights were ahead of most Detroit ideas. Practical, minimal, simplistic, with straight sides and integrated bumper bars.

[​IMG]

<CENTER> <CENTER>The 1938 Chevrolet prototype code-named '195-Y-15', which became the 48-215 Holden.</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER>http://reocities.com/MotorCity/factory/6952/chev/chev.htm</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER>The first 48-215 rolled off the line at Holden&#8217;s Fishermans Bend plant on 29th November 1948, at which point Prime Minister Ben Chifley famously told reporters: "She&#8217;s a beauty."

http://www.nextcar.com.au/n.holden.2008.60th.08nov.html

</CENTER></CENTER>

26. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

27. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

28. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

29. MrFire