Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC into a little T-Bird??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vabeach56wagon, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Agreed, The 312 in my wifes 56 T Bird just turned over 100,000 miles and runs like a top. Doesn't use oil, doesn't smoke, sounds really cool (Headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust) and the car just keeps going up in value. And with the Salt Flats and the contiental kit has the proper Hot Rod vibe too

2. 8flat

8flat

Swapping engine brands in cars later than the mid-fifties just seems hokey. But hey, it's your car.

The most valid argument against your plan is the resale $. Yeeaaack.

3. BlackCherryImpala

BlackCherryImpala
    from Girard, KS

I recommend a wicked little Ford motor...the 300 straight six. 3 carbs, headers, big duration cam. I don't know. You know what would be really cool. A Lincoln Y block 368.

4. DO IT! to bad you don't have a HEMI that would really get the purists kicking while they were crying!

5. Old thread anything new ??? Any pics ??? I bought a complete running sbc with trans 2800 stall hurst 1/4 stick and aluminum radiator last night for 800 bux . . . I will start putting it in my 57 bird this weekend . . . looks like the steering box will fall right into the path of the drivers side motor mount . . . what headers did you use ???

6. gsp392

gsp392

My thoughts exactly!:mad:

7. Sure is funny seein all the ford guys spit.
    Its only a car and brand swappin is what hot roddings all about.
    Ford in a Ford is street rodding in my opinion.

I love it when i see a Ford engine in a Chev. lol.

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

guy in Pacific NW has a 427 SOHC in an earlybird....who gives a hoot about collector value when you're wheelin' that around?

dj

"...just tell your HOODLUM friends outside, you ain't got time to take a ride..."

9. Deuces

Deuces

I love to watch these guys.... :D:D

10. i thought all the opinions had already been given . . . i wasnt looking for more naysayers . . but instead some info from someone on here that is willing to go against the grain and post the pic of theres . . . i will have less in the total package than a good running 312 and trans . . . i got cars with y blocks that run and there great engines for cruising . .. but for under 5k in all of it should run well into the 11's see you on the street

and i will post some pics of mine when i get some progress even if no one else does . . if it makes you all that upset to your stomach just thinking about it . . . and image shall do you bettter !!!!

11. turdytoo

turdytoo

When I find a '57 Vette to put my 4.6 Ford motor in I'll sell you the Chevy motor cheap.

12. 53mercury

53mercury

For a heavy F-350 a well built 390 will make way more torque than that orange lump. As for the T-Bird, your just kidd'n, right. :confused: FE's Forever, Mike

[​IMG]

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

Just sold our 55 with a y block. My step dads buddy bought a 55 in 1960. In the early 70's he put a GT390 with 428 heads, kicker pistons, dual fours and a four speed. I drove it last year. HOLD ON. Keep it ford, at least.

14. SOHC427

SOHC427

Yeah, a Cammer would get better reactions then a SBC....

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Haha this old ass thread is funny. A healthy little 265-283 with 4 dueces and no hood would make everyone cry and it would rule:) Don't gay it up with modern shit though;)

16. I love these threads.. Old or new..

Guy has the sbc. No cost there.. Easy swap.. I have done it.. Easy to swap back as you don't have to "butcher" anything.

The guys that are pushing the y-block issue.. How about you send him a check to cover the cost of building a y-block that will run as good as the sbc and be as dependable. Sounds like a big check to me.

I hope he did the swap...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  17. H3O

H3O

i'd rather see a pontiac 421sd put in there than a sbc. even a (pricey) 413 max wedge, maybe...

18. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

+1!

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

this tread is almost 3 years old. That bird is , most likely, already running around with new heartbeat (which is a huge improvement) I think there is a new guy who wants to drop in a Rat motor into a Roadrunner (ahh, the heartbeat of america) so move on, the bird is done.

20. It's thread not tread.:D

Spell cop.

21. Paint it the right Ford color so it fucks with people for a minute

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

darn typos, thanks for the correction!:)

23. better than settin in the barn without a motor where it has been for the last 17 years !!! 4k plus 1k for motor and trans fresh turnkey . . .and it will run a 12 !!!

24. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Stupid swap. Yes this is an old thread so the car is probably already fucked up. The emptyheads that are for a sbc into T- bird are punks who like the concept of messing with people. There is no other reason to do this swap. BTW if you can't build a Y-block you should probably get out of the engine building business.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Having owned and driven several SBC's ( 283 & 327's ), SBF's ( 260, 289, 302, & 351W's ), and a Y-Block ( 292), I can honestly say I liked the Y-block the least.

I can see the sense in putting something else into a Hot Rodded early T-bird.

If you like an early T-bird enough to spend that kind of time on it...

26. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

That's pretty vague, why did you like it the least? What are you comparing? Truck 292 to a Vette 327?

27. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

SBC, straight axle and a Muncie.

29. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Which is why you should never own a T-bird.