Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dash Plaques

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weathrmn, Feb 12, 2011.

1. weathrmn

weathrmn

Hey guys,the topic of not continuing to give out dash plaques came up at our club meeting the other night. I'd like your input on this matter.

As drag racers, do you expect to get a dash plaque at an event and do you collect them

As a show car participant, do you expect a dash plaque at a show and do you collect them

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks if you reply

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I like them as something to stick on the toolbox. Otherwise they aren't really good for anything.
    I'm not one thats upset to not get one, but getting one is always nice too...

Yeah I know I wasn't worth anything in that vote.

3. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

I did some car shows a few years back and was told by many of the participants that they would rather have dash plaques than a trophy. worked for me cause if you need a trophy to tell you that your car is nice then your in the wrong hobby.
    I like the DP's because you can stick them to tool boxes or make a board to fill for every year and take it around to show what shows you've been to. Plus it will remind them of what show to plan on going to next year.
    The majority of the guys that came to our shows told me that the plaques are nice but the real reason they show is to hang out with their buddy's and have a good time, concentrate on the atmosphere and they wont care if you have or have not a plaque.
    One cool thing we had done was had them numbered 1 of 50, 2 of 50, 3 of 50. kinda made each one special, and we know how some people like to be special!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got they from as far back as 1961 everyone in the same box. I look at them every 2-3 years, no big deal anymore. If your club can spend the money or save the money invested in plaques it won't effect attentance IMO.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got them back to 1973 and right now they are stashed in a box but will be on some display boards and hanging on my wall again one of these days. I'd rather get a real nice dash plaque than a lot of other things that seem to come with rod trots. I 've also got a collection of glasses or mugs from a couple of events that I go to/went to on a regular basis that are prize items on my display shelf in the cave.
    I don't care much about getting a free hot dog with canned potato salad, chance at the annual "give away engine" or trip to Reno that some car clubs seem to think are a big deal though.

That dash plaque just might be the first one for someone's car that is on it's first trip out to an event after being built and will be a lifetime keepsake for that car's owner.

6. 2002p51

2002p51

I like 'em. It's a nice way to remember all of the shows, etc. we've been too.

I put the smaller ones on the inside of the car's doors.

[​IMG]

They're colorful and people like to see them.

The ones that are too big for the door go in an album.

Like some others said, I don't care about raffle prizes or trophies, but I want that dash plaque! :D

7. I enjoy the unique art on many of them. Show stickers or decals are cool too. vary few have ended up on my car, but the garage is a different story.

8. Mercchev

Mercchev

A lot of them I don't really care about, but I have one still in my 56 Chevy that dates back to 1975 when my Dad and I went to our first car show together...Now that Dad's gone, it reminds me of him every time I see it.

9. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

I use to stick them on my steel door panels of my truck.....but, now they are falling off.

10. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

They make good garage art and it gives you something to remember and kick back and bullshit about.

11. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Think of them as thank you cards for showing up to an event.
    I keep mine in a drew.

12. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

My car guys in Cuba love them........ Even the stand up Base player in the band has them on his Base.

13. I can take them or leave them. Some however, would be upset if they didn't get one @ your show.

14. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

I agree. All my plaques are displayed in thee garage, as for the trophys, they get boxed up or donated.

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

Mine are all from El Mirage or Bonneville. But I treasure them as reminders of happy days. I'm trying to live long enough to fill the board.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  16. CHOP36

CHOP36

Tony, good to see you bring this up on here i was thinking about it.I think we can do away with them as i put them in a drawer and forget about,If we can save money i say do it.If we get a lot of guys ask than we can rethink. Thanks Marwyn

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

firingorder1 - that sir, is a LEGACY board - very very cool. Just the thought of what that represents makes my hot rod nerve quiver.

dj

18. chettar

chettar

Dash plaques are a nice small reminder of shows that you have attended and an instant conversation starter when people recognize a show that they also have attended. Trophies are nothing but dust magnets and shelf clutter. For the small cost of a buck fifty why would any car show not want to give a lasting momento of their show?

19. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

mine usually average about $1 each, guess it depends on how big the show is and how many years it has been happening. If you don't have them , you will be asked where they are.
    But IM like most, mine are in a drawer.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Lots of folks like them and collect them, as part of their rodding memorabilia. Not everyone gets a trophy so it's nice to get something besides the junk in a goodie bag. So, given the low cost, why not continue the program? As for me, I put most of mine on the fridge now, as the tool boxes are pretty full. I have one commerative plaque from driving around Indy at a GG show that I like best. It is the only one I haven't stuck to anything, for some reason. The only time I'd actually put one on my dash was if it was given to me after I had set a record or won a race at some real event, like B-ville or something. That would be something to brag about and be part of the car's history. I'm not holding my breath for that one. Gary

PS perhaps the name could be changed to something besides "dash" plaque since so few end up there? Event plate? Firewall tag? Tail pipe patch?

PSS I'd MUCH, MUCH rather have a waterslide decal I could put on the inside of my window instead!!!

21. Few years back I pre-registered to the Beach Barons End of the World Run, then day before blew the tranny so I went to the show anyway in an off-topic car. Parked outside the gates ans turned in my registration so they could allow someone else in (they always had a waiting list then). Couple weeks later got a refund check,a dash plaque and next years application in the mail. Always thought they went above and beyond on that transaction. Mine mostly are either stashed away or stuck on one of my toolboxes.

22. don't care one way or another...kinda like the t-shirts you get at some events...goes in the bottom drawer,never to see the light of day again.

Only thing displayed on the car is current HAMB timing tag.

23. fatkoop

fatkoop

I'll probably never have a ride "good enough" to win trophys, so for me, dash plaques are a fun way to remember the event and displaying them on the shop wall starts good conversations.

24. I have mine displayed on the inside hatch and galley of my teardrop trailer. Some people are trophy hounds, I guess I'm a dash plaque hound.

25. dgc15

dgc15

I like them. It is a good way to keep track of the shows that you've been to. I double back tape a piece of the flexible magnetic sheet to the back of them. When I go to a show, I stick them on my tailgate and inside the truck bed. When the show is over, its easy to gather them up and put them in a bag.

26. chettar

chettar

I have read everyone's comments regarding dash plaques and would offer a couple of thoughts. I have been on the hot rod scene since the mid 1950's and am now at the age when I want to look back at anything that jogs the memory, pictures, entry tickets, posters, programs, etc. of those by-gone days when life could not be better. I can assure you younger guys that you will either appreciate or long for those old dash plaques a few years down the road, and if you don't have them will probably be the guy who gives a pretty penny when one shows up at a local sway meet or you find it in on ebay or a worst says "Damn I wish I had or kept that plaque"! Personally I think that the Lone Star Round Up has missed an incredible opportunity by not giving or even selling dash plaques. Just think of it if you have not collected those incredible posters for the last 9 years what else do you have to look back on to recall one of the great weekends of you life. I have all 9 poster hanging in my Man Cave and will continue collecting as long as my old bones and 50 Merc get me there. Amen!

27. olds vroom

olds vroom

although I havent had my car on the road yet to take to a show i have a display board eagerly awaiting my first plaque

28. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

if you can afford it keep em. its always nice to get them for a rememberance

29. edweird

edweird

i like the idea of no dash plaques, no trophys and no entry fee. just have a car show where you just enjoy being around other like minded people.

30. Cecil

Cecil

I have over 300 of them from Ohio car shows !!! Never been stuck to nothing.Anyone want them for a buck each ? [email protected]