Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs GNRS 2011 The Customs Then & Now Show... my story.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rikster, Feb 4, 2011.

1. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Awesome shots and info, thanks a bunch for sharing with all of us who couldn't make it.

2. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

Thank you so much for your coverage, it makes it so much easier to swallow the the disapointment of not going myself. What an experience it must have been!!

Theres something about the picture above, I cant really describe it, but I think I would have had a feeling of dread, walking around all those old customs alone in the dark!

-Mikael

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man i love the Aztec I have yet to see a pic of this car from a "bad" angle !

Barry Mazza's Aztec, right before it was been driven from the NHRA museum - where it had been in storage for a couple of days - to building #9

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I think it was great, Thanks Roger.

5. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

6. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

[/QUOTE]

i dig that pic too ! The Azted is my second favorite kustom ever ! first being the Hirohata Merc of course ! :D

7. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks Roger.

It was sure great to finally meet you and spend some time talking with you.
    Thank you for all you are doing to keep the Larry Watson legacy alive! This is very much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I cannot get over the pink Chev

I saw it at World of Speed in 2009, and it was bitchin on the salt. Like a DH I took footage of it but no pictures. :(

9. 2010 Speedweek :D
    [​IMG]

10. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

I have been saying this all along. We looked forward to attending this for months but when it came time for the event the surreal spectacle ended as quickly as it started. At least this is how it felt for us. I think this thread needs to be brought back on top. Well done for all involved.

11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

What a fantastic experience for you. Think about how important the show was to have unearthed cars like Snookys 41. They should throw you guys in the hall of fame !

12. Just thought I'd post a couple of pics from my end of the show. Larry T. hauled the Lincoln out for the event. I had arranged to meet up with Mary Ellen Marcy( Ina Mae Overmans daughter). Much to my surprise shortly after Mary and Walters arrival, we were also greeted by the Jensen brothers and their cousin Glen Hooker as well as Jan Emory ( Neils youngest daughter) and her husband. I cant tell you how great it was to have this little reunion take place.

Glens story of the lady that owned that Lincoln and little girl that always took him along to the car shows and races was one of the many highlights of this trip..

Thanks to all for putting this great show together.

[​IMG]

Mary Ellen and your truly. Opps never mind the time stamp !

[​IMG]

The Jensen brothers.
    [​IMG]

Jan Emory Wilson and her husband Tom.

13. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Incredible display. Job well done by everyone involved. Unforgetable experience. Rik, it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for including me.

Attached Files:

14. Rikster

Rikster

Here is a nice overall shot I did of the right side of building #9... I took this photo early in the morning before the public got in.
    Thats Bill warden making sure his display is ready on his Ralph Test Mercury, and Joe Bortz's best friend Allan's wife Cindy - in the yellow sweater - makes sure there is not dust on their 1937 Ford.
    Harry Westergard is looking after his 1932 Ford and Vern Simon's 1936 Ford.
    Don't know the man with the hat though.

Thought I post it a little bigger than usual.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  15. koolkemp

koolkemp

That would make a cool poster Rik!

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that. Great shot.

17. Rikster

Rikster

Here is another large photo. Kurt McCormick's Harry Westergard built 1941 Cadillac. and just peaking behind it is the trunk and top of the Pisano/Barris/Mazza 1941 Buick. Its nice to compare these two beauties with the flow on the padded tops.

[​IMG]

18. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Call me a pervert, but i like those sexy butt pics ! :D

19. This is a great thread... and thank you Rik for all you did involving this event. It was a pleasure to you, axle, and a lot of the other HAMB familiar faces... but, Being able to do that while standing in a room like this was life changing.

hopefully you can tell by the overwhelmed/mind blown smirk on my face that all your hard work was appreciated.

Attached Files:

20. This is weird.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos are of different cars (Obviously) but taken around the same time, but when I first saw that other picture I thought it was one and the same. The bottom car is Dave Nostrands car. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481247

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread. Pretty cool however

21. [​IMG]
    Just trying to remember this weekend and enjoying your thread Rik.Great pictures.

22. Man Jeff you had to bring this back to the top. Jerk:D. Now I get to remember all over again that I missed it.:(

23. Well I was just looking at all the great pictures on this thread that Rik took and I just figured I would bring it up. :)

24. brad2v

brad2v

Good call, one of the better weekends of my life. Anyone know what building 8 is gonna be this year?

25. R&C RON

R&C RON

I have been involved in this great hobby for 45 years, and that weekend will always remain one of the best! Thanks again to all who made it happen.​

26. buckd

buckd

Got to agree! And it was great to meet you RIK. It will be a great memory of a wonderful event that I will always cherish! Thanks for bringing this BTT Jeff, BUCKD

27. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Killer weekend all round. The most positive experience I had in this hobby

28. What happened was ...today I was dusting the plaques from that show and it took me right back to last year and I wanted to look at some pictures from the show.I figured I would bring it back up just incase anyone else wanted to see it.It still just came and went to quick .

29. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Jeff i feel the same way. Now i feel like i didnt spend enough time in that room. My 6 yr old had a blast. All he talks about is how he got to see the Hirohata Mercury. That has been his favorite car for a long time. He wants a mercury now. Im in trouble now.

30. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I know, he just HAD to! My, how time flies.