Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Lynn W. Morton photos)

Pete

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

great photos - thanks for posting

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

And I always thought these Fords were Torinos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Lynn W. Morton photos)

Pete

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome. But all the thanks goes to Mr. Morton.

Regards,

Pete

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I know it sez SS/U on the window but I'm willing to bet this wagon started out as a Junior Stocker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Lynn W. Morton photos)

Pete

6. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Now THAT is cool. Loved those blown 57's !

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Thanks for the Utica-Rome pictures.Was 1/8 mile track.Think they ran Wed nites.Was next to the circle track.Ran there a few times.Concrete line back then.Drove a SS/J Camaro and got to the semis one nite.Grabbed 2nd gear and blew the rear shock crossmember and driveshaft right out of the car.:D
    Dan Zybriski (sp) from Albany area in the Firebird.Ran South Glens Falls a lot.

[​IMG]

8. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Nope. El cheapo deluxe models sedans. 1970 1/2 Ford Falcons. Most came with base 6 cylinders or 302 engines. But they could also be ordered with the 429 Cobra Jet engines as well... Drag Pak rear gears, shaker hood and all. Thanks for posting these pics.

9. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Great pics folks!! I'm REALLY glad we don't rry to recreate the paint jobs of the '70s!! All that lace and panal paint, etc... WOW! We all out grew that I think.

10. 66cayne

66cayne

Oh it's coming again I'm sure! Lace, multi-colored air-brushed repeating pattern/fade panels, Grump-lump scoops, Cragars and Centerlines etc. All part of the nostalgia thing. Guys are still doing gasser and 60's re-creations. The 70s are next.

11. ackjlo

ackjlo

You prove my point, Hoosier
    If you really want to race, you can find a place. (no I'm not a poet, lol) It bothers me that people blame bracket racing for everything. Bracket racing does gives EVERYONE a chance to race. I was an NHRA class racer back in the day, but I sure as hell could not afford it now, with the back halfed cars and acid ported heads etc. SO now I bracket race and when they run the heads 7.00 class I run that. I would like to see heads up racing all the way down to the 14's or whatever. NOW NHRA stock class racing IS Bracket racing , they can break out and they are hard on the brakes at the finish.

Love the old Y blocks. I cut my teeth on them I when started working at a Ford dealership in 61 as heavy line mechanic. did it for 24 years

12. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I had a friend who worked in a body shop and did lace paint work. Later he was painting houses and I asked if he missed the cars. He said yes, but people get real close to a car to look at your work and they stand waaaaaaaaaay back to look at a house!

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome. Thanks for identifying the driver.

Regards,

Pete

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Metalflake, candy apple, lace, cobwebbing, pinstriping, panel jobs and cool-sounding and lettered race car names forever!

Pete :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome. A 'Falcon' available with a 429 Cobra Jet? Super Cobra Jet too? I guess it was Ford's version of a 1966 Hemi Belvedere I sedan. Production numbers must be extremely low and very valuable car today.

Pete

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I love all these old stocker pictures, but these A thru F or so stockers WERE NOT junior stockers. I was there with a P/S 59 Chevy Biscayne which was ! There was stock eliminator for the fast cars and junior stock for the lower HP cars. I dont care if people who werent there post the faster cars, I just wanted to point that out to those that may not know the facts. It was certainly no easier to win junior stock though. It took just as much engine & chassis work to make low HP engine & car combos run fast enough to win.

17. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Thanks for clarifying... I did not know this.

18. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Yep,the high stocker classes were called Top Stock.Jr started at F/S or so.Don't exactly remember.

19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

It depends on the area of the country you raced in and where you were from. Some split it into 3 catagories back in the day and called it Top Stock, Middle Stock, and Little stock. It seems that each track and area of the country had their own lable for it but the words "Jr. Stock" just became the norm in the magazines. It dosent matter what it was called.....It was some of the best racing ever for the little guy. :)

20. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

ahra labeled it that way i was at the lions race in 65 and it was that way also the a/fx and match race cars had a class too. gas ronda was the winner in top stock emiminator over paul norris and i believe dick brannan was the winner in the match bash catagory

21. BadNews

BadNews

I remember Top Stock being the cars in S/S, S/SA, A/S and A/SA. The Junior Stock classes were B/S & B/SA and lower. I raced back near the end, so maybe it was this way in the beginning, A to F? Getting "old-timers disease".... I thought a '66 Biscayne in B/S was a Junior Stocker.
    They're all cool. I still have my '66 Bel Air and my memories. When the memories get fuzzy,I take out the car, bolt on my 9" slicks and run a mid-
    11 second pass. Then drive it home, all through my full exhaust system.

22. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The 1966 NHRA rulebook shows the following from page 48...

"TOP STOCK Eliminator will consist of class winners from S/S, S/SA, A/S and A/SA plus the seven quickest elapsed-time qualifiers in each of the four above classes for a maximum field of 32 cars.

JR. STOCK Eliminator will consist of all class winners from B/S through O/S and B/SA through J/SA.

Each of the Eliminators will be run under NHRA handicap start system, with handicaps based on current NHRA national elasped-time records for each respective class.

As an alternate option for meets where a large field of Top Stock Eliminator cars are not present, it is suggested that Jr. Stock and Top Stock be combined into one Eliminator category to help ensure a more competitive and interesting show, using the handicap."

23. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I like it ALL EXCEPT the lace stuff...I had some of that on one of may cars back in the day, but don't miss it at all! I can take of leave trhe cobwebbing too...but it IS period correct if you gotta do 70's.

24. spiertb

spiertb

A car I had--the Tom Schumacher Rod Shop Fairlane had cobwebbing in 1969. Syl

25. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Bet you would like that back.:)

26. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

taken from a previous pic. Cant leave an Olds in the background.

Attached Files:

27. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I SAW THAT TOO! ---- Nice photo shop chop!!! Name that Olds?

28. willishotrods

willishotrods

That 66 biscayne belongs to Paul Jackson Sharp from Kettle, Ky. Still has the car.

29. Tom 57 150

Tom 57 150

Thanks for starting this great thread, Colesy. I have enjoyed the posts reminding me of the "good old days" of drag racing.

30. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Thats was 45 years ago, Im lucky I can still remember my name