Register now to get rid of these ads!

My car was recently stolen from storage in Minneapolis/St. Paul

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by salty40, Feb 3, 2008.

1. RandX

RandX

My trailer was broken into, fingerprints all over the doors. Once the cops heard I had insurance, they could care less.

2. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Dang I'm moving back to MN soon and this is sad to hear from my home state. I hope they find them. Sorry for your loss

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just went through this thread, and there are two things that have been said that I really agree with. Number one, given that it was in "Secured Storage" and taken so easily, leads me to agree with poster who suggested that this might be an inside job. Number two, I'm with RustyNewYorker on the wife thing; unless you have minor children, I would seriously consider dumping her unless she's a millionaire.

And sit on the decision not to rebuild the car unless you have already dumped it. Decisions made in the heat of the moment are rarely the best. From the sounds of it, you've got a lot more to start with than most of the guys here have.

Good luck.:)

4. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I am really sorry for your loss.

It seems this issue is on the rise in the last year or two but we as hot rodders are not taking the issue that seriously. I don't mean any disrespect for your investment and loss, but not having any security on a vehicle worth more than 4k seems crazy to me. My 62 nova has a hidden battery key that I remove EVERY time I park it, the battery is in the trunk, a hidden ignition switch, a hidden brake lock with a key and a removable stereo and I have considered all of this minimal security for 15 years. All of these tools cost me less than $200 and make stealing it very difficult. In fact, I have given my ignition keys to people and given them an hour to take for free if they can get it running and nobody has. I'm perplexed that folks rely on basic security features like door and ignition keys, security fences and gates. Sorry if I offended, but it's time for us as a community to wake up and gaurd that which is valuable to us.

5. Diesel627

Diesel627

Damn man, I just caught this thread today. Shit sorry to hear, I'd be sick! I'll keep my eyes peeled for any of the mentioned parts. I'm a craigslist addict, so I'm on there alot. It's gonna be tough though, sounds like some one knew what they were getting, had staked it out, and are probably using the parts on another similar project. I guess keep an eye out this spring at shows for recently finished cars. You might find a part two that looks familiar, and that might pan out a lead. Anyways. Good luck and keep yer head up!!

6. Diesel627

Diesel627

That's amazing!! And I thought inwas paranoid. But shit it's justified these days! I think I'm gonna have to start ocd'n on my cars too!

7. bryan6902

bryan6902

Wow! A 3 year old thread dragged up from the dead. I really hope this guy got some decent resolution to this situation....

8. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

You know, this actually gives me an idea ...

For those of us where it's legal, we should each keep a non-operative gun in the trunk of the car. Just enough of the gun to register it ... like just a frame/receiver with the serial number on it. Then when the car is stolen, each and every one of us would be able to tell police we had a gun in the car. Maybe it would help with recovery. No need to tell the cops the gun wouldn't work.

State handgun laws for RV/car carry:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I, for one, am glad this was dragged back, mainly for the information "Undercover Customs" posted. I have a couple of valuable cars that have no more than stock security on them. His point about additional security beyond what they came with is very well taken, especially with the rise in theft we seem to be seeing recently.:(

10. the other me

the other me

YO RandX....you might want to look at dates on the threads....this one is all but dust!!! 02-17-2008 01:16 PM !!!

11. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Sorry for your loss, it must have been Damn cold when the bastards took your car! Maybe meth keeps you warm?

Just moved from MN. to SoCal. I grew up in Golden Valley, Brooklyn Center/Brooklyn Park used to be a nice area, but in the last 10/15 years or so it's gone to Hell. My uncle built (he was the Superitendent on the job) Brookdale in the early sixtes and it was a model for the "Shopping Centers" to follow. Now it's all but closed.

If you have to move back don't move to the Northside!
    It's a shame about the car and that part of a Great City.
    I'll keep an eye on ebay, best of luck.

12. Whoah!:eek:
    Four days short of three years dead! :D

[​IMG]

13. Diesel627

Diesel627

Whoops!! I slipped on the date too! I thought it was febuary of this year!! Sorry dudes!

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Cops are useless when it comes to theft. Several years ago we had a break in at a sportsman's club I belonged to. Guy left a hand print on a window but the cops weren't interested. We saved the window and a private detective, who was a member, ran the prints and caught the guy in 3 days.