Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poll: Motor choice!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatout51, Feb 13, 2011.

?
  1. Big Block Ford FE

76 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. 289 HiPo

87 vote(s)
    53.4%
  1. flatout51

flatout51

I am building a 29 A Sedan high boy. I want to go 60s style but im not worried about period perfectness. I have the choice between two motors. First: Ford FE 390ci big block. 428 CJ heads forged pistons 10:1 compression, arp everything, early 352 adjustible rockers, Comp 244 duration @ .050 over 600 lift with the early rockers, two 4 bbl carbs
    Second: Ford 289. 289 small combustion chamber heads, 10.5:1 compression forged pistons, 289 HIPO solid lifter cam, two 4's, original Cal Custom finned valve covers and matching oil pan.
    Both motors are gonna be backed by a toploader 4 speed trans. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks David

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

390 FE hands down !

3. retromotors

retromotors

Aw crap ......!!!!
    I mighta screwed up.
    Thought I voted for the 390 but the poll shows 1 & 1.
    My apologies, but it shouldn't matter - pretty sure the 390 is gonna kick ass, poll-wise.:(

4. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Imo this is a personal preference decision, 289 will probably be easier and cheaper, the FE will be more out of the ordinary.

The trans/clutch housings are different, so depending on what you have available, this may effect your decision.

Just an afterthought, but the FE will be pretty heavy for a 29, not that this has to matter....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

5. flatout51

flatout51

The FE is built and free from my dad. we have bellhousings and clutches for both. And he will build me the small block for free too.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Free is good....

But consider that virtually any parts for the FE are going to be expensive, like an intake, headers, brackets, etc.

SBF's now have huge aftermarket support, not so with FE's. Parts for SBF's are near as cheap as SBC's.

Of course depending on what you already have, this may not matter at all.

7. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

The FE's are awsome but a built 289 would be sweet in an A and shouldn't be lacking on power at all.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Either for me but the FE will be different

9. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Big blocks rule!!!

10. big bad john

big bad john

....This is a personal choice......both would be nice...guess the 289 would be easier to work with, but the 390 would have edge power-wise.....

11. Fact is you can't go wrong with either engine they are both great. I think the FE would hit more people as fitting inline with a sixties look, and I think there are more 289's powering hotrods than big FE engines. I will say that I am very bias towards the 289. I love the fact that the engine is fairly small, and you can make good power for less money than the 390 would require. The 289 has to be done right to really look 1960's, but it sounds like you have that covered. I saw one a few years ago that was setup with a dual quad, edelbrock cast finned valve covers, and an early timing cover with the breather tube in it. The other cool thing about the 289 is if you ever get sick of turning 3,000 and only going 65mph on a freeway, five speed upgrades are cheaper with the 289. Just my two cents.

12. flatout51

flatout51

I actually have a 5 speed too... and all the needed parts to put it behind either engine. Ill prolly end up using it either way. Im just afraid the big block might be ( i never thought i would say this) too much for the light little A. I want to drive this car! Im not worried about gas mileage.

13. Except for the super rare exotic stuff most FE's are a heavy low reving pig, but boy are they cool. The overdrive isn't just about gas mileage, a 1000 rpm difference can extend engine life as well as make it easier to have a conversation with a passenger. If the five speed is a T5 I would say small block for sure, if you have something beefy like a TKO than the world is your oyster! If you are not doing a lot of freeway driving this may be a non issue for you, and the five speed while practical is not the most traditional thing.

14. flatout51

flatout51

The traditional thing isnt too important to me on things that wont be seen. and if anyone lays under my rod and makes fun of my 5 speed... f*ck em! haha!

15. Ha! That's how I feel about it too, I will never understand why some people get so bent when others perform some practical upgrades (on their cars) that are otherwise unnoticed 90% of the time.

16. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

LOW REVING PIG?...........MY ASS

check this one out. We drop the hammer at around 5400/6000 and shift at 7800. Best effort is a 9.63@140 ...474 cubes all motor.

But I would have to vote for the small motor in the 29..the FE is just too dam heavy and takes up on hell of a lot of space.

Mark

17. flatout51

flatout51

The FE has always been one of my favorite motors ever! Im most worried about the weight of the big ol 390 in the front of my A.

18. flatout51

flatout51

7800!!!! Thats amazing! Screamin big block!!!

19. Master of None

Master of None

Running a 63 289 in my 34 Ford truck so I'm bias. I think both are great but, it all comes down to the accessory, brackets, valve covers, generator and intake choice the more authentic the better. To me that is what sets a good period piece car from one that is great.

20. flatout51

flatout51

well I have all the cal custom stuff for the 289 and i was gonna run a generator and 2x4 intake but im stuck on air cleaners... I dont know what would be period for 2x4s... The big block was gonna get early 352 valve cover chromed and 2x4s... but still air cleaners?!

21. Respect to you and your proven efforts. I like FE's, and I do understand that they are a worthy engine with a rich history i.e. Lemans, GT40, Thunderbolt, ect. ect. In an attempt to not cause drama. I would like to have my point considered rather than taken as an insult to all that is FE. So I guess my questions would be how much work has been done to your 474, is it more towards the exotic side of things or stock with some choice parts? Would you drop it in a model A, throw a five speed behind it and drive across country with it, or is it best suited for the strip? I write this with the utmost of respect and I don't want to create any drama. I am just trying to respectfully defend my point.

22. Master of None

Master of None

Look at Jeff Norwell's diamond duce truck. There is pictures of it in his profile. He's running the small chrome "pan" style air cleaners. If I had a 2x4 set up for my 289 I'd be running those too.

23. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Original frame?
    (Don't get all bent out of shape) but I would think that to be a major determining factor.

24. Master of None

Master of None

BTW I made a ton of changes to my motor and will be updating my profile pics as soon as my last part I ordered comes... can't wait!

25. flatout51

flatout51

Deuce frame will be boxed. ladder bar 9 inch rear.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The SBFs are kinda like SBCs, you see them alot and they're kinda boring. The FE on the other hand is not so ordinary and the cool factor will be up there.

27. flatout51

flatout51

Master of None... are you running a 4 bbl to 2x2 adapter on you small block?

28. Master of None

Master of None

Yeah their the "anti Christ" 9super7's from speedway. They have been re- jetted and played with so they flow decent. They claim 180 cfm with their set up at 28 lbs of vacuum. I'm not out to drag race the thing so it works just fine for me. I'd like to get a older tri- power set up or a 2x4 for it later.....but the wife wants new living room carpet.. got to keep her happy 1st.

29. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

always go with the big block .

30. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Could you do some custom fabrication? My father had to do that running a 292 straight 6 in a '64 chevy - and because the 6 was so high he had to fabricate his own air cleaning setup - used a piece from a '58 chevy air cleaner and the small chrome pot underneath.