Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Carb Guy!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theorangecouch, Feb 12, 2011.

1. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

Found this guy on ebay. The Carb Master (carb-master888) The guy rebuilt my Rochester for my 48 Chevy truck. I cant say enough how happy I was with the quality of work. The carb came back looking and working AMAZING, very reasonable pricing and fast turn around time. He even sent me a picture of my carb before sending it back to me. I'll defiantly use him again.

Attached Files:

2. How much did it run ya if you dont mind me asking...?

3. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

$249.00 shipped. Very fair price considering the quality of work.

4. wow! looks great, but that is a lot of coin to rebuild a single barrel carb...

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Agree... But I dont mind paying for a really good carb guy. I used to have one, but he died a few years ago.

6. fuzzface

fuzzface

Peter Karig, the carb wizard, was another great carb rebuilder we lost a few weeks ago. They are slowly disappearing. Bad part is the family is lost now because all the knowledge was in his head and the son wasn't ready to learn yet.

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Probably O/T for most HAMB folk, but yesterday NASCAR announced that they are switching over to F.I.
    This puts another nail in the coffin of the carburetor, and will probably cause us to loose a good chunk of the existing carb builders.

8. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

best carb guy around dean oliver out of arkansas does all types of carbs ,has been doing my race carbs for the stocker for years,he is surprisingly reasonable

9. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

There is a guy in Louisiana Named Frenchy Best carb man on the planet may even be the best mechanic in town I go to him when ever I have a propblem with some thing Im working on.

10. 6inarow

6inarow

Dickster27 right here on the HAMB............

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

X2 for the Dickster !
    Years ago there use to be a really great carb builder in Hanover , Pa. I am not sure he is still around anymore . The trick to rebuilding a carb is to start with a good base to work with and hopefully not all pitted up . Then learning the trick to tuning the carb is the next thing . Sometime , you come across a carb that no matter what you do , it just won't tune right .
    Yes it's another one on those things that is usually passed down but since the FI is in everything being made now , the training and people wanting to learn that is much higher now than teaching someone to rebuild a 50 year old carb .
    Such a shame to see this art of carb building get lost !

Retro Jim

12. Another guy on the HAMB who has been doing it for years is Steve's Carburator in Lyndhurst, NJ. I've always got great service at a fair price from him. One of the last in the area.

13. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

Ya get what you pay for! Me...I don't mind paying to have it done right, saves money, time and headache in the long run.

14. Honest question...

I can pick up a rebuilt carb from Classic Parts for $150.
    Rebuild kits for Rochesters are like 20 bucks.
    The ebay carb guy rebuilds em for 250.

How do you choose? I don't mind spending money for a quality job or doing it myself. I haven't rebuilt one yet, but I don't mind learning how. It just seems like for 250 bucks there would be a better option than a rebuilt Rochester for my 235. You can get the rebuilt carbs for less, are they not rebuilt as well?

Thanks for the advice!

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

After getting a Stromberg carb rebuilt by Uncle Max and getting to know the man a little, I've got to recommend him, too. His work is impeccably thorough and the carbs look like pieces of art.