Register now to get rid of these ads!

Demon Carbs....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OneFineComet, Dec 29, 2010.

1. big creep

big creep

thanks just talked to dave, he said they really suck!!! he said to go with a quick fuel tech carb! im going to pay him a visit on saturday so he can look at what i have.

2. Friend had one. After replacing all the o-rings and getting all the metal shavings out it was OK.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe I should start my own carb repair business???:rolleyes:.. Bingo! :D

4. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Im running a 750 Mighty Demon (mech sec, no choke) on my 383, runs great, looks great! I also had a 750 Speed Demon (elec choke/vac sec) which I could not get to run right...went back to the MD. Have a couple of buddys that run them too and have had no probs.
    Omar hit me up, Take a ride down to OC and we will try to adjust it!

5. AllenK

AllenK

I bought a 650 Speed Demon off Ebay. That was probably the first mistake I made,but the damn thing never ran right. I even downloaded a manual from a so called expert on BG carbs,but I still couldn't do anything with it.

We were trying to get my new 388 to run with the BG carb, and I gave up. I called my engine builder/friend,and he brought over his 1000 cfm pus Stealth carb. It started up and idled fine on the first shot. He let me use that carb for a while,and then I bought a 750 Street HP. It runs great also.

6. big creep

big creep

yea maybe tomorrow? ill call you later. thanks!

7. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks bud!! The little guy kept me up all night tryin' to figure out what his problems were. Guess you have to be there on the spot to tinker with it! Thanks again for helpin' out! :)

8. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

I have the mighty demon 750 that I have run on the road and mostly at the track. I got it dialed in and I really like it.

NOW for the other side - their tech / sales line suck. What a bunch of arrogant a-holes. Don't look for support from them if you buy their product.

9. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

check the accelerator pump cam, you can get different profiles to open the pump slower or faster. a lot of times an off idle stutter is actually a lean stutter not a bog.
    if you are getting decent performance elsewhere this is where i'd start.

10. I just bought a pair of Race Demon 750s for a BBC tunnel ram application and I was suprised they offered matched tunnel ram specific carb application as I have never seen that offered. I hope I have better luck then some here have as they are going on Project Wildthing and it's got to be driveable! Well, as driveavle as a Street/Gasser can be~ :D I have used Holleys with great luck and Edelbrocks as well. My daily has a Quick Fuel SS750 on a 388 SBC and I was really impressed with it's driveability, runs 12.90 @ 107 thru mufflers and 195/7514 street tires and starts in 8 degree weather, have to hold the throttle for about 2-3 minutes at that temp but idles fine afterwards. Something for driveability I recommend for cold weather is a Holley electric choke transducer. You mount it on a exhaust manifold or header bolt and it limits the ground side of the electric choke untill it senses heat there by holding the choke closed longer. It makes cold driveability wonderful!

11. 65 Imp SS

65 Imp SS
    from central mn

big creep here is a vid on accelerator pump tuning it's holley but still will work for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Nx5HEzvlY

12. big creep

big creep

thanks for that great info!

13. Funny thing about carb's.............................99% of the time...............it's NOT the carb.

14. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

I have a Demon and agree that there probably is a high percentage of problems blamed on carbs that should not be, BUT I will never and will never suggest anyone buy anything from Barry Grant. If you actually get a good carb from them, try getting tech help. Their customer service sucks.

15. scalhotrod

scalhotrod

I'm running the same setup, ZZ4, 700r4, with a Speed Demon in my '32 Ford roadster. I was having problems with the carb AND the transmission and never even imagined that they might be related.

I bought a TV kit from Bowtie Overdrives...
    http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=215

..and then after some carb tweaking, my car finally ran right, shifted much better, even my mileage went up.

Chris

16. Deuces

Deuces

I've never had a problem with the 2 carbs I got from them... Then again, the first thing I do is take the fuel bowls off and check for the propper float level.. I like .425" clearance between the top of the float and the fuel bowl... Another thing is changing the jetting to a smaller size that's more suitable for a street motor.. I also like to add jet extentions on the secondary metering block.. I also check the accelerator pump arm for .015"-.020" clearance.. And always and I do mean always adjust the idle mixture screws with the engine idling and a vacuum attached to a manifold vacuum port.. I think their carbs ROCK!! :D

17. 60 Belair

60 Belair

I ran my 625 road demon on my daily for 5 years no problems my (57 wagon avatar), now I have it on my model T it ran 11.48 at 115mph. 4 corner metering vac secondary easy to adjust, have not done any more than change the air filter and adjust the fuel metering and idle . love the carb no problems at all

18. big creep

big creep

yea all ready did that, got the same kit long ago. Deuces i wish you were closer, i would pay to look at my carb! i wish there was someone closer who would be willing to help me out. good thing its not my everyday driver.

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bought two of them for cutomers engines. Installed both, followed the supplied instructions and both are still driving just fine. Reading the instructions might be some of the problems you guys are having. when dealing with a new product sometimes those papers that are included are more than packing materiel.

Frank

20. Deuces

Deuces

One of the ones I bought came with a VHS tape... I still have it!! :)

21. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Had a Demon 750 and will never have another. Flooding problem. Yes, sending a new carb back to the manufacturer to get it to function correctly gets old quick. Get a Holley!

22. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

I've had Holleys, Edelbrocks, and a couple of Demons and I'd rank the Holley first with the Demon a very close second. Very nice results with the Demon. Not to throw guys under the bus, but if the carb is runnin' rich just jet the thing down. How it comes out of the box is just a safe baseline. They send them a little fat on purpose so guys don't lean the motor out and burn up a bunch of pistons. Lots of folks saying their Demon was too rich, imagine how pissed they'd be if they were too lean and burned the motor down!!

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have been thinking the same thing. Tuning carbs, and running valves, seems no-one has the first #$%&* clue how to do it anymore!

And the comment about cleaning all the metal shavings out is right, Barry went through some labour "issues" for a while, it was SCARY what was being sent out!

24. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Yeah, when a new, out of the box carb literally runs like a sink faucet when you're trying to start your car... BG said they found some "debris" in where it shouldn't have been after I sent it back to them...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

LOL! Yea, "debris" is putting it nicely. Amazing how much effect a handful of milling chips in the float bowl has on a carbs ability to meter fuel accurately...:eek:

26. big creep

big creep

i still cant believe i cant find anyone in the san fernando valley that can work on this carb, i call carb shops and all i get is "ive never seen one before?" im no carb guy to begin with. looks like im going to have to learn the old hard way, and do it myself?

27. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Apparently they shut down as of today from what I am reading. You know what they say about Karma.

From Barry Grant

As of today, February 18, 2011 we are ceasing operations at our Dahlonega location and all subsidiary locations. Working with all of you has been the experience of a lifetime. I will value your support as friends, customers, vendors, and media contacts forever. The economic situation has put the company in the position of not being able to find working capital needed to continue operations and get a chapter 11 reorganization plan through the court. In addition to this, is that all of our equipment has been breaking down causing production delays and further hurting cash flow. Reluctantly now we must convert to chapter 7 liquidation after 26 years of business. The financial collapse has closed, or has caused severe restructuring of many companies in our industry. Many individuals have lost everything. We have even lost our home. This is the most humbling experience of my life, and I have no future plans at this point. Thank You for Your Many Years of Support.

28. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, we know! :mad: But thanks for reposting it...

29. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

:eek: too bad even if we don't like their products... I do own a Demon, still
    not 100% convinced...

30. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

Yup BG closed up, I have a mighty demon carb, and it has worked real well for me.