Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 BMW 328 Saloon Racer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very cool.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  3. That frame is art! What method did they use to weld the frame together? I'm going to Germany later this year, looks like a good side trip!

4. Whatta cool car. I say it's got hot rod bones even if they are German.
    Very inspiring.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

interesting..yes.

HOT ROD ... no

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I disagree. Hotrodding before WWII was rampant on both sides of the Atlantic. I see this as a German take on the Golden Submarine.

I kinda dig that the Yanks got there 30 years earlier. :)

[​IMG]

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

It's really no different than factory supported and built stock or drag cars here in the states.

that makes it a race car.

8. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Clearly Mr. Wa... uh, "Jivebomber", you've been infected. I saw this coming when you were sneaking around Monterey last August.
    There's little hope for a cure. Just give in. Come on over to the other side.
    :)

9. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

"Chassis photos?" That looks more like the "lattice skeleton" over which they stretched the body's outer skin. I'm thinking there would have needed to be a chassis under that upon which the running gear and body would mount.

I mean, yeah, it's still totally cool looking and a really neat way to build a lightweight auto body structure, and you're right about the car having a bunch of cool details. Those streamlined, teardrop-shaped door hinges are stunningly beautiful and the tasteful louvering of the hood and front fenders is nice. And those wheels are just a delight!

There appears to have been several different designs for the body, too, which is not so surprising considering they would have all been hand made. Check out the differences between the headlight mounting location in the third image and the other images, for example. And how in some images there are rear fender skirts for extra streamlining (I suppose) and in some there aren't.

And there's also the cool fact that BMW's designs for the production versions of the car were the basis for a post-war British automobile built by Bristol Cars. The "family resemblance" is obvious, too.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

inspiration must come from all places as you see my handle is sic 944 T its a relic from when i loved porsches even though now i own 3 fords a dodge a auburn and some hondas my love for everything mechanical is strong i know that this is THE HAMB but i love these stories keep up the good work if model A's were all we talked about this would be a extremely boring web site .... like other forums ive been on or been too im drawn too this cause its a very open format soo keep up the mighty fine work

12. Very cool post. Is ther anymore photos of the chassis or drivetain without the body on it.

13. Its beautifully hand crafted, good looking and fast. Whats not to like?

A couple of pics here of a naked Mercedes chassis. The workmanship in these was incredible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Nice Machines I want one!!!

15. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

That's a sweet little car. Thanks for sharing something that I might otherwise never have seen.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If someone can't see the hot rodding connection with these cars I'd start checking for a pulse in the doubter.

Frank

17. NoSurf

NoSurf

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen, brother!

Stunningly beautiful car. Great post, thanks.

That Cam Coupe is equally stunning, NoSurf, thanks.

19. JackieTreehorn

JackieTreehorn

Great little story Jive-Bomber! Thanks to you and Ryan for the vintage sports car stuff that's been running lately. It may not be "hot rod" enough for some people and that's fine I guess, but I think it's part of the DNA of the early hot rodders who were inspired by it and used their go-fast know-how to influence sports cars as well.

Has there ever been a story on the Sterling Edwards Special sports car on Jalopy Journal? It was built in 1949 by Phil Remington, Lujie Lesovsky, Emil Deidt and powered by a V-8 60 flathead? I've read a little bit about it in Dean Batchelor's American Hot Rod book and it sounds like a total "Hot Rod" sports car.

20. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Funny you just mentioned Dean Batchelor- the first thing I thought of reading this post was how he was so inspired by the '30s Auto Union cars from Germany when he designed the So Cal Streamliner.

Hot rodding is hot rodding no matter what country it's going on in. Great post- great car.

21. Very cool car. Thanks for the post Jive Bomber.
    I would have to say the early sports car guy mixed it up with the early hot rodders big time. Lots of the early "sports car" racers were guys with hot rod back grounds. Check out the last photo in this article, an MG sitting between two nice roadsters in front of Bell Auto Parts.
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2009/11/23/lost-speed-shops-bell-chapel-orr/

22. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

They have a good number of boutique shops building one off cars in Germany and Holland. You can spend a week visiting them all.

23. Definitely a cool post.

It is also reminiscent of the later Aston Martons and Alfa Superleggera chassis, not to mention the Birdcage Maserattis that were out too.

I agree with Crosleykook and Ric, there are hotrods everywhere, just not all exactly like ours. And even the venerable Doane Spencer hotrodded Sunbeams and the like. There is a great picture in the current RJ of a Ferrari 166 (I think) being prepped for paint outside of the Barris's shop.

24. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

That is some cool schit there , thanks for the post & the video was killer I dig BMW even if they are German ;)

25. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

that is a really neat piece! bet it was a hoot to drive back in the day

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the link NoSurf, I'm no BMW expert, but I do know that the replica isn't a replica of the BMW that won the Mille Miglia.

27. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Regardless of what you call it, its a cool car. Great chassis shots. Thanks again.

28. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Well take what you see from BMW with a grain of salt. Its all BS they knew were the original car was all the time. It was found in Wallingford CT. A very smart man from calif bought it and restored and it has been at MM several time. BMW even had it in there shop for some time as they copied it and cheated up the VIN which is totally illegal in Germany. The car owner fought them and in the end BMW did purchase the original car.(hell the glass doors on the museum were already etched the the cars likeness.)
    The copy is not a very good copy. Do a search on the car and read the real story on that car .(i deleted the car owners name after some thinking he may not want it here) Like i said BMW got in some real hot water for what they pulled with that fake they built. I think they may have copied the guys VIN and andded and r at the end...Big No No in germany

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  29. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

[​IMG]

The real car winning MM in 1940...SS owned it by than.

30. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT