Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dual Quad Air Cleaner/Velocity Stack Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Putting a dual quad 401 Buick in this '57 Chevy and going for a early/mid 60's vibe. I was thinking a really short pair of velocity stacks would be cool, but the only ones I can find are the typical, tall 70's/80's style ones. Any thoughts??
    -Dean

Attached Files:

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Offy still makes a short cast aluminum velocity stack. I believe you can get them from Summit (5" neck) or try Car Products-435-477-8213.

3. Ford use to make a really cool airbox thing for the big block fairlanes.

I think the cast offy stacks is probably going to be your best bet unless you go to the standard 10" chrome beauties. You're right its really hard to find anything other than those big knarley '70s lookin' buggers.

4. GAL60

GAL60

I used Hellings and Stellings Air Cleaners on my dual quads. Not a velocity stack, but they were around in the early to mid 60's and have a clean look.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

There's also the repop screened Mopar stacks. I'd bet their not cheap though.

6. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My favorite dual quad air cleaners of all time. They were made for the Chevy 283/270 set up. When you saw them you paid attention. Very hard to find and not repopped to my knowledge. That's not much help but if you use the common repops that are available it will look like repops. JMO

8. Jay.S

Jay.S

I second the cal custom velocity stacks. Does anyone know where i can get those foam filter replacements?

9. GAL60

GAL60

Not sure where to get those, just be careful because I had one of those V shaped Edelbrock air cleaners in the early 90's. It used the foam and when it backfired back up through the carb it burned the foam and sent the burnt particles down the throat into the intake. They also don't breathe quite as well. On my Hellings and Stellings (which also uses foam) I put them in for show and run wix filters for the road. Not trying to tell you what to do, (foam look is where its at), just don't want you to get crap in your engine.-Jim

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

GAL60 has it right, it's the way to do it. Had them on my car in the day.

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Most that use the air cleaners with the worthless foam air cleaners buy a K&N cone air cleaner and cut them down , flatten them out and make the air clear from them . They will last forever and can be cleaners when you need to . You can find used ones on the online auctions and C/L all the time .
    That is the best way to go for an air cleaner for the odd shape carb tops we all use that are non typical in shape .
    An old style gasser scoop would look good or 2 single carb air cleaners styles with the 60's style would really work nice too .

Retro Jim

12. Jay.S

Jay.S

great tip guys thanks for the info.

13. Those give me wood....been looking for a pair for awhile....

I've got a pair of them that don't have the flat spot for a dual quad setup, but not the one's for the dual...