Register now to get rid of these ads!

46' Ford Sideshift Trans to Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Termites Ate my Chevy, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Would there be any issue bolting a 46' side shift transmission out of a 2 door sedan to a 49' Mercury flathead? And would I then be able to run a closed driveshaft?

Attached Files:

2. Ole don

Ole don

It should be a bolt up with the correct factory parts. Fill it full of 90wt and go.

3. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

I found it for sale, says that the rear bearing needs replaced, what does that take? Thanks.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A 49 or 50 merc and 49 to 53 truck bellhousing should bolt that motor up to the 49 merc motor.

5. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Where is a good place to find that bearing? A new one?

6. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

'46 Ford is closed driveline, '49 Merc is open, different casting on the rear of the tranny & I don't believe it'll work because of the rear not the front.

Jim

7. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

I have a wide 5 banjo rear that is closed driveline so it sounds like it should work. If the trans is from a car the gear ratio won't be too low, correct?

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's not clear from your original post what kind of vehicle you intend to put this in. If it's a '49 merc then using this trans and a closed driveline rear end is a whole lot ow work with nothing to show for it, not to mention whether the wheelbase is too long for the driveline length.

If you are building a chassis, then yes the '49 merc engine/'46 trans/wide five '36 to '39 rear end can easily be coupled together with all off the shelf stock ford parts.

Ray

9. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Its going in a 29 willys roadster, pretty small car.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the Merc block the early 49 with the built in bellhousing or is it the later block that takes a full bell housing like later engines?

[​IMG]
    Does it have that ring of bolts (or bolt holes) that you can see on my 8BA in the photo or does it have a bellhousing built on that comes down to where the hogshead bolts on mine in the photo? If it has the built in bellhousing piece you are home free and the trans will bolt right up if not you will need to get that short bellhousing to bolt up the trans to the engine.

The bellhousing looks like this fuzzy photo without the hogshead or trans bolted to it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  11. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Its got the bolt on housing.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok then you need one of the short belhousings for the engine to bolt up the trans. They were on trucks and are pretty easy to find. photos here http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_trans-adapters.htm

The bearing you can find at a bearing house or parts house or from one of the Ford parts suppliers. Stand the trans on it's face with the back end straight up when you go to pull the bearing out though. That helps keep everything else in place where it belongs. I think my old Motor manual covers that trans and I'll take a look in a minute when I go out in the garage.

Go to the Vanpelt home page http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_trans-adapters.htm and poke through the links on transmissions and you should find the exploded drawing of the trans.

13. silent rick

silent rick

i also believe you can swap the innards over to a toploader case if you don't want to deal with shift linkage.

14. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

So I scored the trans for $180. shipped. Does anyone have a picture of the way the closed drive hooks to the trans? It is a u-joint type setup correct?

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You need the rear mount/bearing retainer to complete a torque tube installation. This is a casting that combines rear mount tabs (there were several types), bearing retainer (in answer to how to remove rear bearing...it's about to fall out of there with no retainer!) and flange to bolt on the front joint of a torque tube.
    All '32-48 passenger retainers will fit...if using in a Ford, you want right one to fit the frame mounts, if building a special installation you can use any. All '32-48 torque tubes fit the same flange and '28-31 tubes will fit with a '32 up U joint cover. You want any '32-48 passenger U-joint, which will also fit the Model A rear.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_rearend-pics/Flathead_Rear_Axle_Assy_1938to48.jpg