Register now to get rid of these ads!

obsessive compulsive behavior

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Feb 12, 2011.

1. clips221

clips221

I started working on my 37 ford pickup a couple of months ago. It seems that when I'm not asleep or at work I'm either out in the shop piddling on the truck or I'm thinking of my next step that needs to be done in the shop. Even when I'm at work I'm planning ahead for the evening or things that need to be done on the truck.
    I'm addicted to old iron and loving it. :) Anyone else have this problem?

2. That's normal. I do the same thing.

3. That's not obsessive compulsive behavior for most of us that's normal.:D HRP

4. Ole don

Ole don

How else can you build a car? Plan, execute.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I got it so bad I get upset when I dont have grease under my fingernails.

6. gtkane

gtkane

If it wasn't for that behavior, none of us would be here.

7. Don't worry, it goes away with age.

8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Plus there is no known cure

9. +1

I can get real cranky if I go extended periods without shop time.

10. big bad john

big bad john

.....yup...you got the "fever", guess what ? there'e no cure, it never goes away and can be given to friends that help in your shop......don't fight it....the only relief is to tell your 130.000 members of HAMB about your pain and progress on your truck.....

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

If im not out working on it..its always in the back of my mind, planning my next move or even future moves, its normal..
    I think

I have been slowed down because of the weather and my back, but i am always either planning my next move or messing with something small to move forward with.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I got it too. I'm that guy that'll buy a whole bunch of running cars, take them all apart, and never finish one.
    Fortunately, I'm blessed with a wife who keeps her foot in my ass, so I do get things done!
    Works for me!

13. Make sure you keep track of all the time you are spending on your truck.
    Head scratching is time just the same (and very necessary, ) makes better use of your actual hands on time.

OCD hummmm? You'll never see a hot rod or motorcycle parked in front a physiologist's office HAHAHA

14. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

I have hotrodidus as well.....It's a illness, it keeps me awake at night.

15. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Its hasn't so far at 56!:)

16. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I have build more projects in my sleep than awake! <grin>

17. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I disagree! 58 yrs old and getting worse! <grin>

18. I find that I can get some temporary relief when I'm cruising the hot rod down the road but as soon as I stop my eyes glaze over it starts all over again. Even when you think your done with the project.....your not done.....Your never done! Just go with the flow and you'll learn to live with it.

19. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

The night before I fabbed up my man a fre linkage I layed in bed and put it together over and over in my head. Got about 30 minutes sleep that night. Always do that when I get an idea about fabbing something up before I go to bed. I have gotten up and went to the shop in the middle of the night and done it. Just can't stand it sometimes. Wife calls that, "being eat up with it".

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

I don't see the problem??? :D

21. If I would have constructed my projects in the physical sense, rather than in my mind, I would have them all finished by now.. along with a few others I don't even own yet. Seems normal to me, but I may be slightly bias. It's called Passion.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as you aren't changing what you just did because you changed your mind again you are good to go. It's when you start getting collections of two or three of some item for the car that you have changed again because you changed you mind on what you want to do with the car that a real problem shows up.

23. Dont believe this...I'm 77 and still do it,,

24. das858

das858

I've got the fever too.

25. Pretty normal behavior... I think the one's that don't do it are the one's with the problem. :cool:

26. henryj429

henryj429

With family and other committmets, I get way less shop/building time than I'd like. I'm always thinking (that's why I never remember the sermon in church). I think ahead and plan so that I hit the ground running when I get to the shop and my time is as productive as possible. So, I've got "car on the brain" just about every waking minute. That's normal for me.

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

BULLSHIT! It's a fatal disease. You die with it. You must have had a head cold.:D

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What, you mean death?? I'm 50, and its still getting worse!

29. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Happens to Me all the time. I make plans for my car all the time. Its a never ending project. :)

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thats all part of the sickness we all have. I do some of my best thinking while in bed.