Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Corvair Altered/Gasser/Street Freak

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard D, Dec 20, 2010.

1. I'm using the stock Corvair box, and it swings the right way to steer from the driver's side, so I'll try that first.

Disk brakes on an early 60s style car? Never!!!! I may even pull the drums and run spindle-mounts.

2. Richard
    I'd have to see what you're working with on the pitman and steering arm setup. I'm just not getting a picture in my head. But there is bound to be a simple solution, thee always is if you just don't overthink it.

Disc brakes on an early '60s car, well maybe if you snag some off an old (old being the operative word here) Jag. I can only think of 3 people that are recognizabe that would have done that back then two from Texas and one from N.Cal. :eek:

You may actually be better off with no front brakes on that bugger. I can get a pic in my head of you locking it up @ 135, not a pretty site. :eek:

3. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Neat little project.I got my drivers license in a Vair'.

4. This is what I'm talikng about with the pitman arm; still gotta bend the arm on the spindle(the green tape on the knuckle of the steering arm). I guess I'll have to make a drag link of some sort to tie the two together?

5. alchemy

alchemy

You NEED a drag link. The two arms do not swing in the same circles.

Is that a wood shim under the front spring? I like your backyard engineering. ;)

6. Alchemy is right about the drag link the only way to make it right, you are most likely going to end up bending your ateering arms anyway to get your akerman correct.

Alchemy,
    I'm pretty sure that is a wood shim but I imagine it will go away after mockup.

7. HAHAHA! I don't think it's wood, just a trick of the light. I figure I'll bend the spindle arm out to the front, and connect it to the pitman arm. So I guess I need a corvair tie rod end, and a '47-'54 Chevy truck tie rod end, and a piece of round bar between them, threaded for adjustment?

8. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

[​IMG]
    You might look into a 4" dropped pittman arm like this to help get some length back on that bend. I don't know anything about the spline count. A jeep wrangler also has a longer nose than the corvair box.
    Both items may help get the angles back to where they should and help keep you pointed in the right direction. Non-trad parts I know. I did see them used for this purpose on a straight sxle 64 nova.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  9. Who makes that part?

10. HommerSimpson

HommerSimpson

11. alchemy

alchemy

A very short drag link like you are talking about will give you extreme bump steer. A longer one to the other side would help eliminate some of this. Granted, you would need to create a new arm on the other spindle that points to the front.

12. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Quadratec carries a bunch of different drops and profiles. One may work for you. The rod from the pittman should go to the pass spindle and then connect the driver and pass sides.

Less angle = better steering. If you go to the drivers side you will run out of "swing" because of the different arcs of travel.
    Forget all of the 4x4 crap in this pic. Focus on the drag link, pittman arm and tie rod.

In a simple way, the 4x4 world runs into the same problems as a solid straight axle car. It's the same thing minus the gears really.
    There are some really good pics on the HAMB but I can't find them.

[​IMG]

13. HommerSimpson

HommerSimpson

Drag link and track bar need to be at same angle...

14. How would I do that? I wonder how the stock truck worked?

15. Richard he's talking about making it a cross steer, and I believe he hit on it. What you are going to need to do is creat a steering arm for the pass spindle. I'm goig to guess that it is going to bolt on where your brake backing plate bolts on just like you were building a model A or some such.

PM me and we'll swap information then I'll create you a print to work from. its cake bro.

Oh the stock truck was probably a rear steer with a drag link that went from behind the axle to the steering arm.

16. Rolled her out of the car port in the sun, but there was still a shadow from the neighbor's fence.
    [​IMG]

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good!

18. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

19. Cochise Chops

Cochise Chops

We put a Pontiac 389 in a Corvair in the late sixties.

Great work.

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I think Corvair's were in the 60's what Vega's became in the 70's.
    Crap from the factory new, but some of the finest raw material for a drag car or street rod ever.

Hmm.......... wish I hadn't seen this thread because now I'm wondering what's dirt $cheap$ that could be used from the present to build?
    Tom S. in Tn.

21. They're pretty cheap; I got mine with shiny paint for $400.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

On the steering, I'm planning on using an early Bronco box I can get local for $40. I figure that way, I can get an aftermarket drop pitman arm pretty easy.

23. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Wish I could be so lucky.
    I never cease to be amazed at the rusted out scrap these guru's around here ask several K for, only to wind up at the crusher for pennies/lb once the rent comes due. I missed an old Gleaner combine that way. Owners pride would rather let it be destroyed instead of letting me have it for a sensible price.

You got a steal if you were around here. Maybe could have made $money$. But this is going to be a super ride when you finish !
    Tom S. in Tn.

24. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

TA HELL THEY WERE CRAP!
    damn fine automobiles they were!

25. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

(( :
    Tom s.

26. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Did not have time to write this am, but my dad bought a midnight blue 4dr one of these new in 62'. Memory of it caused me to look at this build.
    I vividly remember the big cargo area behind the rear seat and in front of the rear window. I also remember his disgust filing a warranty claim for valve failure first 3 months he owned it, and then complete engine failure before end of first year.
    I don't have time to research it, but I believe these things were the cause of some new fair trade and lemon laws, and not just safety.

I'll also never forget the word my dad used the first time he saw a Fiero! : ))

Let's let Richard get back to work here. I really do want to see it !
    Tom S. in Tn.

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

Corvairs got a bad rap because people didn't know how to drive or maintain them. They assumed they were just like other engines, and they were not. The engines are actually pretty sensitive. People also drove them like front engine cars and ended up in ditches... and blamed the Corvair. I'm not saying your dad was one of those people. He probably just had a bum car. That happens to every manufacturer with every model. But think about it this way, if the Corvair was so bad, Chevy would not have made them from 1960-69 with a virtually unchanged engine during that entire run.

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first car at 16 was a '64 Monza Spyder convertible (in '69). That turbocharger was more fun (above 70mph) than a boy should have. Sure, it was slow off the line, no it did not handle like an MGB, and yes, the rear of the car stayed covered in oil from leaking o-rings in the pushrod tubes. But from 70 to 115, that baby was nothing but fun!

Now, go wash your mouth out with soap, Tom S.! :D

29. Cochise Chops

Cochise Chops

I agree!!! Remember putting a 327 in a Veag, early '70's.

30. The V8 up front will fix all those problems.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011