Register now to get rid of these ads!

convertible vs HT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixbangr, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

Sixbangr no question get the covert. Price go up when top goes down that is correct.
    Someone on the tread said convert,s don't get the girls, wrong! Now I'm no looker but
    girls love coverts so much so that I drive with a helmet to prevent injury from the ones that jump in. And if it is a red convert , it's like your grandpa secret catfish stink bait, they can't resist. Mine is getting painted right now, you guessed it red, and I can't wait to pull the top down on a beautiful California day and let the music from the flowmasters take me to nirvana. Good luck with your decision , don't forget a helmet.

2. Vic Piano

Vic Piano
    from Odessa, FL

I love convertibles; we've got seven of them. It's true that convertibles cost more to build/restore and maintain it's also true that they are cold in winter, hot in summer but ALWAYS COOL! Don't get me wrong, I love hardtops as well (have two of them) but nothing compares (for me at least) to the joy of open car driving. I’d go with the rag top.

3. Deuces

Deuces

I had a '68 Camaro convertible in the late '70's, a '73 Mustang with the Mach 1 package and my latest '05 GT with only 28K on the clock..

Attached Files:

4. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

I've owned at least 1 'vert since I got my license in '76. For me there is nothing like it. Flying down back roads at night in the summer, full moon...*sigh*. Even if we are not in our convertible my wife calls those "convertible nights" I've owned one of my 'verts since 1981 and I've replaced the engine 3 times and the top only once. I will never not own a convertible.
    We have even gone out to look at Christmas lights in the snow with the top down, heater cranked, hot chocolate in the mugs. My wife's a goer.

5. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I just sold my convertible... miss it already...
    This will be the first spring since 1994 that I didnt have one... but at least I have a Harley!! :)

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

In san diego a convertible is a winter car. when its a 100 degrees outside, you dont notice how hot it is untill you stop. Then you relize you been sitting there baking away. There still really cool though.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Don't listen to any of those whining nancyboys! Go topless. I'll never be without at least one ragtop in my fleet. It may not have heated seats or Onstar but, hey, you can tough it out.

8. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I would say that is very true. I certainly wouldn't want a hard top over my convertible olds either.

9. David Chandler

David Chandler

If you can't decide, get them both and sell the one you like the least later on.
    My Rambler was a 64 American Wagon. No sports car by any means. Although it was well built in my opinion. I have seen a hard top recently and it looks a lot better than the crap they make today. Good luck with whatever you choose.

10. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

converts may be more fun - however I just like the was a hard top looks

delema
    form or function?

11. farna

farna

You can't compare a Rambler American to a Camaro or Mustang, but it's just as good as any Falcon/Valiant/Chevy II with similar equipment. I mean six to six, similar size V-8s etc. -- can't compare the American's 290 V-8 to a 350 or larger, but it's on par with a SBC 283 or Ford 289 -- similarly equipped.

As far as the HT vs. 'vert thing, it depends on what you want to do with the car. If it's to be a true daily driver, like your main transportation, the hardtop will be way more practical. If this is a weekend/fun car, then I'd go for the 'vert. The 'vert will have more wind noise (hard to listen to music and have a conversation -- one or the other!) and will be less comfortable temp wise. You mentioned Kansas... I've driven across Kansas in late winter/early spring with temps still in the 30s...

'Verts are cool and all, but for a daily driver I go practical first. Besides, if I want "wind in hair" action I ride my bike! I do plan on building a roadster though. It will only have a bikini top stretched over a roll bar. Which brings safety to mind -- that 'vert will cost more to insure because there is little roll-over protection. Adding a rolld bar doesn't seem to help with the insurance company, but will help your peace of mind -- and destroy part of the wide-open feel of the 'vert.

Difference between a 'vert and roadster? A convertible has a folding top that is permanently attached to the car. A roadster has no permanently installed top, but can have an easily removed folding top. Corvette roadsters have a "snap-on" folding top that can be removed, and the Jag XKE IIRC. Most have no tops or a hard top that "snaps" on though.

12. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Ive been known for taking a sawsall to the roofs of daily drivers, nothing HAMB frendily just 200 dollar beaters. Some day Ill own a nice rag top!

13. teddyp

teddyp

I,i had afew conv. in my day and yes they have a cool factor but the only ones that i miss are my 57 chevy and 51 ford

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

i drive a OT convert year round in MN. i hope to find a HAMB friendly one someday in restore-able condition. unless the convert is a total rust bucket i would get it

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Owned 1 convert and discovered what a old fart told me was true.
    Either your a top down person or your not.
    I am not.
    I recommend buying the convert just to try it.
    Lot less made and the resale is good.