Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you think are the best Mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MXrider13, Feb 11, 2011.

1. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

Me and a friend of mine we're talking(ok arguing) about which Mufflers were the best for Performance and Sound.

I said Porter Mufflers were great since they give it a nice aggressive, yet smooth sound.

He said Flow master or Cherry Bombs were better.

What does everyone here think? What are you guys running for exhaust?

2. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Thats a pretty loaded question. Depends on what they're going on. Flatheads and other low compression motors needs porters or smithys. If its any kind of a performance motor i.e. about 9.5:1 or so compression, flowmasters usually sound better, and perform better.

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

My flow masters by far. Only reason I say that is because I got them for free......

4. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I was looking at the porters and really like their sound but man they have gotten expensive.Could by a pair a smittys for the price of one porter.

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Porter Mufflers.[/thread]

6. I put porters on my caddy...I think Im gunna keep using them.

7. Vic Piano

Vic Piano
    from Odessa, FL

I run Brockman Mellow-Tones (steel packed) on all of our Flatheads... :D

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I like Magnaflow? Flowmaster has their hi end, and then their lo end, what you would buy at PepBoys.

10. illterminal

illterminal

The best mufflers ever are the one that aren't there.:D

11. Gotta say Smithy's, the original Hot Rod muffler, since the 1920's

BUT it depends on the car and what kind of sound you are looking for - want to Tinny Muscle car sound? Flowmaster. Want the Cheapo Glasspack of the 60's-70's Sound? Cherry bombs. Want the unique low rumble with tons of drone? Why that has to be Thrush. Too many variables to argue this point or come to any conclusions. Pick what you like and be happy, if your bud's don't like it, F'em

12. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

cherry bombs for me ....... ten minutes after i put a set of flow master's on my F-350 i went and put the flow master sticker upside down in my garage !!!!

13. PORTERS.....you wont be sorry

14. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Huh, mufflers; we don't need no stinking mufflers. ;)

What is that you say?

15. heres my sugestion jaguar pre-mufflers, there small, but quiet enough, I would suspect they are a bit restrictive due to the fact they muffle quite well and are small. but I think they are one of the best sounding mufflers for smallish v8 applications.

16. Cadillac reverse flow mufflers if you are staying old school and want performance. Back in the '60s when they became popular performance wise they were the best mufflers on the market.

Flowmaster have been around quite awhile, they perform well but I don't care for the sound. they remind me of a Fox Body mustang.

I run the cheapest glass packs i can find as a rule, if i have money to spend i run cherry bombs or red hots.

17. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

For both power and sound you need to tell us what you're putting them on.
    There's a great deal of consideration to be given to vehicle type, engine, headers, pipe diameter, mounting location and esthetics................and what sound you want.

And then you'll never know for sure until you fire it up.

18. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I actually have a pair of 40 series on a sbc, 2-1/4" pipe with H pipe that sound pretty good to me. They don't have the 'tin can' sound.

But, in a couple more years it won't matter how they sound, at the rate I'm losing my hearing.

19. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Stainless Specialties has a stainless steel packed muffler that sounds great. Their chambered design sounds like a quieter Flowmaster.

I have the Flowmaster Street Thunder series on two late model hemis, and a set of 2 chamber Flowmasters on my '47 Truck. All of these sound great.

I will eventually get a set of Porters. If I ever hear a set in person, I bet it will be sooner than later.

Lots of guys are using the Flowmaster/Hushpowers. These look like a great design, but I haven't heard a set of them yet.

20. I'm a fan of Smithy's for flatheads. Although.... Broackman's are growing on me for flathead's. I need to hear more of them. There is a video on Youtube of a '40 Ford with Broackman's with a flathead I believe. It sounds badass!!

21. Tudorman

Tudorman
    from Enumclaw

i work at a exhaust shop and magna flow wide open are the best for street agressive or hotrod. 60 bucks gives you a nice stainless steel 2" or 2 1/2"

22. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

1st choice- straight pipes
    2nd choice- 6" motorcycle baffles

Attached Files:

23. The Shocker

The Shocker

Open headers with collectors and extensions sound best to me on a hotrod (especially with a stick shift),but i have got in trouble on the street with them obviously.

Straight pipes sound good also.

Another option i have done is to cut a glass pack apart and take the gutts out ,then weld it back together .Still nice and loud ,but will fool the state inspection guy ...

BlowMasters are for the late model Mustang and Challenger crowd not hotrods IMO ...

24. RavenWorks

RavenWorks

I am biased but....

Porter Muffler best muffler out there. Steel-packed, hand-made, made in the USA, best rumble in the business.

Buy them now at www.ravenworksllc.com

...you will not be disappointed.

25. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

The Porter mufflers I have heard sound BAD ASS, Smithys are old school cool and sound pretty good. Everyone has Flowmaster and all the other parts store brands.

26. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

I always liked the Royal Scotts from back in the day. It was nice if you didn't want the sharpness of a glass pack or the softness of a turbo muffler. Great in-between sound. I don't think they make them anymore though.

27. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Nice! Do you know any videos or any samples of what a set of these would sound like? Preferably running of a stovebolt chevy 6?

28. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Very true, sort of like "I'm being different, just like everybody else." (No offense of course to those who have flowmasters I respect the choice....)

Smithies has that classic sound, (for instance), I don't think I've heard many people at least where I came from running any classic sets of mufflers.

29. big bad john

big bad john

.......No mufflers on my flatheads....... flow mastes on the other two....great sound.......