Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear oil differential question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by necrobillygirll, Feb 10, 2011.

1. necrobillygirll

necrobillygirll

:confused:so my car is tuff to find info for. im needing to know the amount of oil that needs to go in my 1963 dodge dart's rear oil defferential. ive been looking through a few books but im not seeing it. with the vast knowlage that is here on the hamb i was hopeing that one of you guys or gals could help me with the answer. :confused:

2. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Don't know yours specifically, but normally you just fill a diff up to the level of the plug.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

is it empty?

4. Buy yourself about 3 or 4 of those quart jugs, that should get you close. You may end up going back after another or you may have some left over. Going back for another isn't that big a deal and if you have some left over it isn't that big a deal either it doesn't spoil and you are young enough to won another car in your lifetime.

5. subdajj

subdajj

X2 on filling up to the level of the plug

6. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

x2

Thats the way I was always told to do it, if it's level with the hole your good to go.

7. Larry T

Larry T

As they said, fill until it runs out the filler hole. A fluid change usually takes between 2 and 3 quarts.
    Larry T

8. starion88esir

starion88esir

Capacity is 4 pints

multi purpose gear lubricant is used for all rear axles and SAE 90 is recommended for up anything above -10°F

All this is per the 64 Valiant factory service manual, I drug it out just to get you specifics. :) Hope it helps you out. But typically they are just filled up until they begin to drip from the fill hole.

9. Lucky3

Lucky3

X3..Normally 2 quarts does it (not 3 -4 as mentioned above).

10. starion88esir

starion88esir

Yes, 4 pints is 2 quarts.