Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T coupe chop or no chop you guys decide.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0rg0, Feb 10, 2011.

?
  1. No chop!

118 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. A little chop

71 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Chop the hell out of it

116 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. I can't decide, so I'm gonna let you fine folks make the hard decision for me.
    The car is a '27 Model T coupe. I'd post a pic, but you know what they look like. It's just a body at the moment.

2. I said chop the hell out of it...but I don't mean so hardcore that you're gonna be uncomfortable.

If it's gonna be a drag car, lopp it to death and just leave the standard beer can height for your windshield. But if you're gonna drive it on the street alot....long hauls n shit....just keep that in mind.

There's alot up top, so even if you don't don't give it a buzzcut, alot is gonna come off the top :)

Steve W.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Part of the cool factor on these cars IS how tall the top is! Too many way over chopped cars out there these days anyway... "Hey! Let's go get tatoos and piercings and be different like eveybody else!"

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I had a 27 and did not chop it and I wish I did.. I think you should chop it but do some good research of chopped T's to really find the amount of chop you like.. An inch here or there makes a big difference.. Good luck.......

5. I guess I should offer up some more specifics about my plan for the car. The idea is for it to be a 60's type stupid show car. I do want to drive it as often as possible, and I am a fairly tall guy. If every body says chop the hell out of it, I don't mind my head sticking out the roof.

6. H3O

H3O

there's one i see around at shows with no chop and i love it!! then jeb's model t is chopped and i like it. depends on the car, but for some reason it's either gotta be chopped quite a bit or not chopped at all for me. lil chop doesn't quite look right to me...

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Full 60's style, crazy upholstery outside of the car, pearl paint, white tuck n roll, Channelled low with Crazy tall top. Dont chop it!

8. Muttley

Muttley

If thats the plan then leave it alone.

9. grander

grander

You will probably get more people saying to chop it. But it will look more unique if you don't chop the top.

10. They look good both ways but my personal preference to chop it.

11. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

please no chop the tall t's are great the way they are.If you chop too much they look like they have been stepped on.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Take 10" off that sucker.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Do a search for Mercury Charlies old channeled but unchopped T coupe from about or six years ago. That was one of my favorite cars ever. The proportions were just bitchin'!

15. This may seem kinda silly, but I'd go out and but a model car kit, build it, then start modifying it until the look suits you. It's fairly easy to measure the height & re-calculate to inches, since the models are typically 1:24 or 1:25 scale. Hope that helps...

16. gsp392

gsp392

I'm a square I guess, but I only like chops on a few cars some of the time. I said:
    "No chop!"

17. The nice thing about T's is there are plenty of examples to refer to. I like both ways, but I want to let you guys decide. Is should also add, there will be a 4" channel.

18. If it's going to be a hot rod you need to chop it, alot! Otherwise the proportions are wack.

19. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

You can always chop it later. I waited after I built mine and glad I didn't chop it.

DC

20. It depends on whether or not you run it with fenders.If you don't run fenders I would chop it because those things are waay tall. Or be different and raise the top a couple of inches and channel the front way more than the back to look like a rat fink cartoon.

21. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Be really different and add 4 inches!

22. Cymro

Cymro

Build it so you can drive it and see out of the windshield properly, obviously your height will have a bearing on this, if you don't mind driving with your head sticking out so be it, in my younger days I tried out several British and European sports cars MG, X19's etc, and found the windshield top rail directly in my line of sight, a pain for all but very short journeys, the fact that a T top had to be removed to fit comfortably in some of them, When I was offered a drive in my favorite a Lotus Europa I could barely squeeze into the passenger seat let alone behind the wheel to drive. So if you can't drive it comfortably and having your head sticking out is not really much fun especially in our climate.(wet). as the screen offers little or no protection. Dry, sunny, warm days are a different proposition altogether. A moderate or angled chop may be feasable as opposed to the full lakes look.

Your car sir, your choice.

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

No way would I chop it but then again, I wouldn't ask the opinions of others and just do what I wanted.

You'll get opinions after you are done.

24. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

taking 10 inches out is a nice look. I did that to mine

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not silly at all, great way to check it out beforehand. And shoot photos of the model at scale "eyeball hieght". Really good way to give it a trail run.

26. I have no fenders, so the car will have no fenders. I do plan on sectioning the windshield header quite a bit, so that would make the windshield a little bigger.

I'm asking this for a few reasons.
    I'm curious about what is the more popular style as of right now. And I thought it would be fun if all the fine HAMB folk could make a decision on my car, then sit back and watch it happen. You people are all helping me build my car!

27. R Pope

R Pope

I say no chop. Always liked the tall top on a T. But I gotta admit, the guys saying to add four inches strike a '60's weird chord! I built a model like that in about 1960!

28. HommerSimpson

HommerSimpson

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

30. dsr_54

dsr_54

Please don't chop it. Tall T's are cool, but it is still your car so do as you please.