Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A cool pic of my dad...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I finally aquired a pic of my dad that I always wanted , and I guess was a big part of me being the car guy that I am , this was taken at a drag strip somewhere near Ft. Riley , Kansas , I only know that when my dad was coming home from being drafted into the army ('66-"68) that, while he was on his way home , all his buddies bought new cars , one bought a new '67 Chevelle SS , another bought a new '67 Impala SS , and the last bought a new "67 Camaro SS , my dad? , he bought a '58 Belair 4 dr and drove it home from Kansas to West Virginia , one weekend , He and a buddy of his went to this dragstrip in his '57 ragtop , and this pic was taken , so just a pic of my dad that I really like , anyone else have a pic of their dad with "one that got away"?

Attached Files:

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool pic.
    Was it his 57 or the buddies?

4. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Thats cool man!!

5. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Man... I had a shirt just like your dad's wearing.

I thought I looked pretty cool in it.......

6. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I think it was his buddies ,but not sure , like I was saying , I knew he bought a real nice '58 Belair 4 door , V-8 auto car for like $300.00 right out of the service and drove it home from Kansas to West Virginia , I guess he was just ready to get the hell back home after 2 years as a medic...lol

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Dads are cool.........

8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Love it. Cool pic. Glad you was able to get the picture.

9. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

By chance , youbeing from Kansas , wouldn't remeber or even know where this dragstrip is would ya? , like I said , it had to be near Ft. Riley?

10. voodoo1

voodoo1

Cool pic. I just aquired one of my dad also. My mom just found it in some old pics. He used to brag to me about all his cars he had and racing he did. He died in '06. My avatar is him in 1953 sitting in his -39 ford. He was 18 and on leave from Navy. His sister is also in pic. Mike

11. duke182

duke182

very cool.
    i too have the privaledge to have some pics of my dad and his hot rodding past.
    be sure to get pics of yourself so your kids can show you off one day.

12. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

That dragstrip was still been open when I was stationed at Ft Riley in the late '90s, they did mostly bracket races if I remember right

13. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

You wouldn't happen to remember the name of that strip , would ya?

14. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

no, sorry dude. tell you what, I'll see what I can find out from some guys I was stationed there with. facebook is fucking amazing for that kind of shit

15. 296ardun

296ardun

There was a drag strip at Manhattan KS in the 50s and 60s, right outside of Ft Riley,, probably the same one, it was an old Army air strip during the war...(I think)

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

There used to be a strip on Marshall Field at Fort Riley. It's been closed for many years. There is also a strip called Midwest Drag Strip or Midwest Raceway, I can't remember for sure. They still bracket race there I'm pretty sure. Hope that helps.

17. violet springs

violet springs

Very cool besides my son my dad is my best friend.

18. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'm a little older then some of you guys so the pictures I have of my Dad he's standing in front of a 20's car and here is a picture of his '37 Ford with the raccoon tail hanging off the nose ornament!
    The '40 Chevy sedan was a mild kustom the year about 1962/63. That's my Dad and younger brother standing next to the car.
    The last 2 pix are of my Dad (on porch) and his '39 Plymouth (that's me on the right fender with ol Shorty) and my Aunt Hazel's new '52 Ford (I'm the tall guy with the sailor hat).

Attached Files:

19. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I also got a couple of pics of my dad's '58 he drove back from Kansas , pretty nice ride for$300.00

Attached Files:

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yep! 58s can be cool as well;)...........To let everyone else in on this,I was going to post this pic yesterday here,and say 58s can be cool as well (before I ever saw his dads 58) but didnt.
    Later someone else made a request for wheel suggestions on a 58 and I already had this copied so I just pasted it there instead. This morning I noticed Ratroddude had replied to that post and said ,Hey thats just like my dads old car! and showed his pics of it.....freaky:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  21. Obliviously your Dad was the smartest one of to bunch .......Who need a new car?
    I was drafted about the same time as your Dad.One of the best days of my life was when I came home! Good memories.

22. sololobo

sololobo

Pop's styling in the cool shirt, very nice. He scored on the excellent 58 for sure. Love these historic pix. Sweet ~sololobo~

23. canadianzed

canadianzed

One of many my Father had the pleasure of owning... on a shoestring budget.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  24. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

One of dad's that got away... There were MANY others as well. Too many to show. This is a 1949/50 Jaguar Mk V drophead coupe.

[​IMG]