Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nasty Habit Willys, part 10....Hood,door gaps,headlights,front brakes,primer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Feb 6, 2011.

1. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Too DAMN COOL, you RULE!

Nick.

2. Damn that Willys is bitchen!! Lovbe that you drive it around town, that the way to do it!

3. I don't have a problem with my friend Amos leaning on the tank. The car is not that fragile.

Andy....I am going to have to recreate that picture with my wife in the passenger seat. I still have those rear Halibrands. I will be using them on the new car when I get some race slicks. The SS side trim is the same set also. It was removed when that car was painted back to it's Orange Plus race paintjob. I owe someone a pair of door panels for that Stainless. I better get on it ( I procrastinate). Sorry Bill!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  4. Perfect!!! that is one bitchin willys-nice job kev!

5. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

In a day and age when any car with doors is called a "Gasser", your's is hands down the nicest. Come on out to an ANRA race in Bakersfield and we'll match up.

6. BITCHIN Willy's Kev.

7. plan9

plan9

Well done, amazing job Kev. I absolutely admire your dexterity and focus!

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Kevin, your car is hands-down my favorite drag car on the Hamb. It is all just SO right. I love that it's 100% owner built, and I dig your comment about period correctness. I don't give a shit about those small details either. You, and your car, are badass. Thanks for sharing-

9. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

I dig the cross-ram-I've always had a soft spot for those.

Very cool car.

10. lorodz

lorodz

wow fantastic work...it feels good to drive it huh ....

11. violet springs

violet springs

Great work, you are a fiberglass master.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great Job Kev! She looks perfect. Lippy:cool:

DAISUKE likes this.
  13. Yes Kevin, you definitly have to get a shot of Mary in the new car. Will you have to go to Santa Barbara to re create it??:rolleyes::) It's cool that you still have the old halibrands, I sold all mine off years ago. Still kicking myself in the ass!!

14. Thank's guys for all the kind words! I forgot to mention that I hate every minute of fiberglass repair but it just isn't going to fix itself. Currently the car sits in the garage on jack stands with the rear end completely apart. I am learning the ins and outs of Olds' rear ends. Turns out I have the weaker posi unit and one year only 1958 29 spline spider and side gears. I found a place that is making them (Fabcraft) but they won't be available for at least 60 days. I want it to be strong enough to beat on so I may step up to 31 spline axles and a stronger posi. I can't find a low buck way out. I have a couple of other 3rd members that are not posi's and I thought they were both 31 spline but I was happy to discover one is 29 spline so I will throw that in to get back on the road while I decide how I really want to fix it. Ratio is 5.57 so I guess I will forget about first gear and freeway driving for a little while.

Andy, that shot is taken here in Ventura at a park about a mile away.

zacattack likes this.
  15. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Another fine update, thanks Kev.
    I love Fibreglass, goin' out to do some now.

Scotty.

16. solid

solid

Man, i dont want to be weird or nothin, but this pic makes me feel all tingly inside. My buddies set on, lean on, sleep in, and eat and drink in my car too, but it's just a falcon:D...THATS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT, HAVING A GOOD TIME. HAVE I SAID I LOVE THIS PHOTO?

IT'S REMINDS ME OF A WEASEL IN THE HEN HOUSE...

Attached Files:

17. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Or John Rambo when the cops brought him in the Police station..we all know what became of that now lol
    [​IMG]

18. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Kev:

One thing you may want to consider is converting the Olds 3rd member to a 9" Ford. That way, parts are much easier to come by. I've seen it done a couple of ways, but with your fab skills, it's something you could pull off. If I remember right, it seems like the Ford 9" 3rd member shares a couple of the mounting holes with the Olds 3rd member. The remaining holes are welded up, and couple of crescent shaped pieces are welded to the Olds axle housing to match the Ford 9" mounting flange. Then, new mounting holes are drilled and tapped. The next part can be a little more tricky. From what I understand, the axle centerline for the Ford 9" third member is about 0.100" further forward than the Olds unit. So when you weld on the Ford bearing ends to the axle housing, they could end up about 0.100" ahead of the old centerline of the housing. I've also heard of people machining off the entire Olds mounting flange, and making a new mounting flange for the Ford 3rd memeber. They machine off the old mounting flange 0.100" deeper so that the new mounting flange puts the Ford 3rd member in the same axle housing centerline as the housing. However, I've heard when doing this, the backside of the diff cover also has to be cut off, and welded back on with additional clearance for the Ford gear set. I'd love to see a tech post on this on the HAMB. Anybody out there have experience doing it?

Mark

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Too cool Kev... I'm usually not a huge fan of nose up in the air kinda stuff, but your car has 100% completely hooked me! I think I might steal the brace idea for my set of pedals in my roadster p/u,too. I am also of the thought of not being so era correct that you make yourself nuts trying to find just the right... Lifes too short to get too bent out of shape about an alternator...

20. 69fury

69fury

If the ford axle centerline is .1" deeper, then i'd assume you'd just need a .1 inch shim under the gasket to space it out the punkin. If you found a 9 inch mounting ring from someone that sells those FAB 9 type sheet steel rears, you could just weld it in to the opening of the olds housing and set the depth at that point- I dont know if any of this is accurate-just the way my brain visualised your post.

Do we get a wheelie pic from those deep gears?

rick.

21. I have been considering the 9" conversion. I have been going through my Gasser magazines to find the issue with the how to. I already have a 4.10 9" 3rd member so it is very tempting but I will still need to buy a new pair of axles. I was happy to learn that the new Old's spider gears being made will not be as brittle as the old ones. Still weighing my options.

69fury.....As soon as I have one you can bet I will post it.

22. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Yekoms posted a scan of the Ford 9" Guts in an Olds article you're looking for here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2314558&postcount=18

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  23. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

i need that 4.10 for my rambler

24. jerryjagger

jerryjagger
    from salinas Ca

I'm new to this story but it was well worth the reading. We all know the feeling when you see something so cool looking driving by. Nice work & thanks for keeping us updated.

25. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Kev!
    You keep on Nasty! Solo Rusty Can Wait! I know the door panels will be bitchin when you do get time! Great job on Nasty! PS Solo Rusty & Orange Plus would dig having Nasty hang out in shop with them! Wanna trade Nasty for a fast Subaru? Take your time think about it! Call me in the morning! Bill

26. Hey Bill!
    Subaru probably gets good miles per gallon compared to the Willys but I prefer "smiles per gallon!"

27. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

hope to see you and the willy's in april.. Los Straitjackets has a few shows out your way right after viva.. also i might be able to sneak out one night to hang. I'll keep ya posted. looks good buddy!

28. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

"Smiles Per Gallon."
    Copyright that !

29. What rear did you have in your old one Kevin? Looks like the spiders in that rear were'nt brittle!!:D

[​IMG]

30. RatBone

RatBone

Saw you this morning on telephone! Made my day! Looks badass Kevin!!