Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 chevy wagon ????'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impalalover60, Feb 9, 2011.

1. impalalover60

impalalover60

I am currently working on a 62 belair wagon which I call the Bluebonnet since I'm from Texas. It is in ok shape and I plan to have it on the road this spring to start cruising before I decide to tear down and put the big bucks in it. For now I plan to just add more wheels and redo the interior. I did not know parts were hard to find for these but I'm going to stick it out. I have a few questions.

1. Will a 63 column fit in these??
    2. Will 62 Impala HT or 4 door tailights fit these???
    3. What can I put on the crappy paint (not original) to give it some shine??
    4. Anyone have any parts laying around???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

(1) shitcan the wheels , put the factory steelies on w/ poverty caps (2) yes , the column will fit , but why? (3) why worry about shiny paint for one summer , just clean it up and roll the wheels off of it , then take it apart come the fall of the year. (4) I really like your car , good choice in cars and good luck with the fix-up journey!!!!

3. impalalover60

impalalover60

Thanks.... Yes the wheels will be gone soon!!!! The car is a three on the tree now but I'm going to add a TH 350 so I want to add an automatic column and I have one from a 63. I just want to do a good wax job on it so it will look ok. There are no wagons in my area, everyone has impalas however.

4. slammed

slammed

Claybar the paint surface. Buff/polish out the flat area's. Load the surface w/glaze and top w/ pure carnuba wax. Lower the car 2-3". Nice ride, should look way neater when you begin it's transformation. Keep updating this post.

5. impalalover60

impalalover60

Thanks guys I would like a quick fix on the paint. It is thin. I have found some duplicator rattle can paint to do touchups with. I just want it to shine a little better. What should I use??

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

No advice here other than dont get crazy with the touch up paint,but I do like it.
    Heres another wheel suggestion:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. impalalover60

impalalover60

Love the color low budget but I'm going with poverty caps.

8. slammed

slammed

1st up: Does the paint feel glassy smooth, right after you wash it? Claybar will pull fallout (pollution, overspray, ect) off w/ out cutting into the surface. You may (if no one w/ a light touch using a buffer) use a cleaner wax to pull up a better shine. Glaze will add a deeper, wet shine. The final wax will help hold the shine longer. Elbow grease and some real 'git after it' is required! I truly wish I was near by, 'cause for 'round a C-note I could put a killer shine to to your ride.

9. slammed

slammed

damn!

10. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Good looking wagon but loose the wheels and don't worry about the paint..... DRIVE IT!!!

11. Change the wheels, do a light polish with a foam pad. Detail the engine bay & interior.

Don't screw with it... You'll regret it.

Ask me how I know...

12. Slammed is right, some bent elbo grease and some rubbing compound backed by some carnuba wax is all it takes. Springs far enough away and that sweet tank will hall a passel of worn out waxers down to the Cruis-In when it does. The wagon is boss though! I want one badly, pre-63 are my fav.
    Slammed, your Bubbletop is super fine too, lovin the stance.

13. frankthetank62

frankthetank62

Nice wagon! I'm partial to 'em myself. The taillights should be the same across the board for 62's. 61 bullets will also fit in 62 bezels, that's what I have on mine. I'm also runnin 15x8 corvette rallys and i like the look and they are relatively cheap as well.

Attached Files:

14. That's a fine looking machine. I agree, loose the wheels in favor of Steel or a nice set of
    Supreme wheels and narrow white walls (not wide whites as they were out of fashion by '62) The paint seems decent in the pictures, just buff it out with compound and add some protection. Great looking car, seriously cool. Does it have the third seat in it?

15. rodhot

rodhot

As the other Kats said, steelies with some caps, reduce the altitude some, maybe alittle interior if it needs it but no touch up paint. Might make all the paint look bad. Heres my wifes little chevy duece. It was all stock, now lowered, factory 13's with povertys and original laquar paint. Cleaned all the crud and crap on the paint with Bon Ami then put a wheel to it. Still need to glaze and wax. Aside from the thin spots and not having clear on it, got a good shine out of it. The pics are after I cleaned it. Don't have a pic after I polished it. I know it's not an Imp or wagon, but was hoping to show ya what I think turned out good. Keep posting pics of what ya do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It probably wouldn't cost that much to get a good detail guy put a shine on it like Slammed suggested. A buffer in the wrong hands can ruin a paint job like that faster then an Austin Hamber can suck down a Shiner. Otherwise the best way is all by hand and sweat with the steps Slammed prescribed.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wish my paint looked half that good! I'd just wax it and be in heaven!

18. impalalover60

impalalover60

love the nova rod.

19. Nice wagon...I'd be proud to drive it the way it is (less the wheels of course)...bring that thing a bit closer to Mother Earth and add the new wheels and drive the crap out of it...nice ride

20. If your going to use the Dupli-color touch up paint, spray it in a cup and apply it with a small artists brush to the chips and scrapes. That way you avoid the unsightly overspray! (make sure you remove any wax from the areas in question.)

Why don't you just install a cable style floor shifter? They are easy to install on a th350, work great (I have a B+M shifter), and add to the "cool factor"! (my .02)

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 62 wagon has 2" drop spindles, 9" ford rear with cut coils, 350/350, A/C. Wagons make great highway cruisers. For more pics www.picturetrail.com/tri5man

22. TexasDart

TexasDart

Since it's a standard transmission...why don't you convert it to a 4speed or 5 speed that would be really cool...you already have the other pedal.

23. impalalover60

impalalover60

nice wagon..........

24. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Nice wagon. When you change the wheels, if you go with steel, look for some off a Capice or Impala from the eighties. They have 7'' wide 15" on some. They are a little deeper dished and look good with dog dishes. 63 dog dishes would look good on black wheels on that car. IMO. If it is or was a factory 327 3sp that is probably not to common a combination on a wagon.

25. tommy v

tommy v

nice 62 ,the tail light lens are the same but the housings are not

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  26. impalalover60

impalalover60

It has a 283/ 3spd. So 14" dog dishes will fit on a 15" wheel???

27. tommy v

tommy v

aren't those wheels 5x5

28. impalalover60

impalalover60

That's why I love this site. I can get all the info I need. I knew something was different about the lights.

29. impalalover60

impalalover60

I'm familiar with those wheels they are 5x4.75's

30. H3O

H3O

i'd keep it 3 on the tree. i wish my falcon was. for the wheels i'd do gloss black steelies w/ 1.6 whitewall american classic from coker...that's if you get that thing hunkered down to the ground! :D