Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are 235s noisy engines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilJohnson, Feb 9, 2011.

1. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I know some engines are noisy from the factory (Y-block and GMs Tech IV come to mind) but I am curious if the babbit pounding 235 falls into that category as well. I had a 216 in a dump truck that had a bunch of water in the crank, that thing I am pretty sure spun a bearing, it was quite noisy. I now have a 235 sitting in a 53 210 that I recently got running. It seems to run ok but it is full of clicks and clacks. I recorded a vid of it running so you all can hear it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U0MaHjukWFI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had a 235 in a '55 Chevy back in the day. It was smooth and quiet.

3. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

A 235 in good shape with the valve train in good shape and adjusted right should be as quiet as any oither engine.
    Same for the Y block Fords.

The noise usually comes from worn rockers, pushrods and valve stem tips making it impossible to get proper adjustment clearances.

4. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I know by 55 Chevy sixes had hydraulic lifters and full pressure with insert bearings. This one is backed up by a stick shift which leads me to believe it is a babbit pounding oil slinger.

5. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak and loose rockers as well.

But why the hell take a 1:45 to start the engine?

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I can't edit my video clips shorter :( Spoze I could have started the camera on after it was running :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be delving into rocker arm adjustments then (among other things).

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Luckily ticks, not clacks... so the bottom end is fine, but a little bit of valve-train noise. I think that engine has solid lifters, which take a little warming of the engine to quiet down even in good condition. But I'm sure it's worn and out of adjustment. As long as no pushrods are bent, (look behind the side-cover) you should be able to adjust out the ticking. Be aware that sometimes, after lots of use, the tops of the old "milk-can"-shaped solid lifters can break off of the main portion. The engine will still run pretty good though, and you won't know it until you try to pull the lifters out.

8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i dont think you guys remember your old sixes very well. back in the day they would say if you cant hear the valve train you are burning the valves. they were noisy leakers but took a lot of abuse, and yes standard shift models have solid lifters.

9. LOL! That first 1:45 was to build the suspense! :eek: A cycle tank sitting on top of the engine. An open bottle of gasoline. Cables connected to the battery with vice grips. I was a little disappointed that the whole thing didn't burst into flames! ;) But I was impressed to see that you poured the fuel into the bowl vent tube instead of just sloshing a bunch of it down on the throttle plate.

As already mentioned, I think a lot of what you're hearing is valvetrain noise. I had a '62 Bisquick years ago and a few of the push rods were worn to a conical shape on the rocker arm end. I bottomed out the adjuster screws and they still had too much clearance. Of course the engine in mine was pretty loose anyway. Come to think of it, the whole damn car was "pretty loose". :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have to "remember"...I've worked on quite a few inline Buick and Chevy engines over the years. Just because "they" said it, doesn't make it true. As was mentioned, in good condition and adusted correctly, a stovebolt Chevy six runs quiet...and won't burn valves.

It was mostly that the solid-lifter valvetrains needed frequent adjustment, and the average car-owner had little inclination to do that...so they were often left noisy.

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Doesn't sound any noisier than my Stude 245 flathead 6.

I could easily be wrong, but along with the clicks I think I might have picked up some rod knocking too. Bottom end is probably as worn as the top is loose. But it does run. Tune it up as best as you can, adjust valves and use it till it blows.

12. I have always been told to set the valves on the loose side instead of the tight side. This keep the valves from burning.

The babbit bearings can be adjusted. If the babbit is good you can remove shims and tighten up the rod and main bearings.

Some old Fords had insert rod bearings and babbit main bearings. I am not sure what Chevy used for bearings combinations.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the one i had for over 10 years in my 53 sounded like a sewing machine..not noisy..music

14. zip

zip

I've always been led to believe 235s are VERY quiet. I bought one from a '55 Chevy (1 owner car with low mileage) and I had trouble hearing it running (as I expected) while still in the original car. The Holden (Australian) equivalent (grey motor) designed after the blueflame Chevy sixes were exactly the same (very quiet). Also owned one of those in excellent condition. Summary - Very quiet motor unless problems as most previous posts suggest!

15. duke182

duke182

i own a 53 and a 54 235.
    both run relatively quite.
    you might want to do a little tuning, adjusting and change the oikl and see what it sounds like after that.

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

My brother's '61 pickup with a stock 235 runs very quiet after a tuneup and valve lash adjustment.

17. kmiele

kmiele

My 52 Fleetline has a 216 babbit motor and people cant believe how quiet it runs, people always comment on how smooth it is and how you can barely hear it running, it wasnt so quiet when i first got it, than i adjusted all the valves, set the timing right and adjusted the carb. Its got 80,000 on it and still runs and sounds great!

18. 6inarow

6inarow

probably quiet because you didnt help him

19. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Had mine goin today nice and quiet real smooth and it was 3 degrees in the shop.

20. kmiele

kmiele

I do hear some valvetrain noise, but i believe some of the other noise that sounds like a knock may be that generator floppin around there. Anybody else notice that?

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with stude_trucks, thought I heard some rod knock as well, right between the 1:40 to 1:45 time it's the most obvious.

22. ...they should only be noisy if you have the rite set of splits and pipes on it

23. hahaha! Zing!

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

Yep, 235s and all their cousins are noisy from the get go.

But it's just a warning signal that they are gonna blow their camshafts to pieces
    scattering a thousand shards down onto all the cylinders and walls at rpm.

But I believe it was Tom Petty who said it best in 1979 -"It's just the normal noises in hear"

so yeah, they are noisy

25. Snarl

Snarl

If its original, a '53 stick car would be a babbit pounder with solids.

Pull the valve cover and inspect the valve train. remove the rocker assembly and look at the adjuster balls. Make sure they are not worn down to a point. Make sure there isn't excessive wear on the shafts, and resurface the tips of the rockers. Reinstall and adjust per the manual. Make sure the timing is set correctly. However it sounds after that is the way it's going to be...

26. Zerk

Zerk

Not until you mentioned it. I was ready to wise off that the generator wasn't even turning:rolleyes::eek:but sure enough, that thing is loose and rattling against the block. Might be the "lower end knock" that a few of us thought we heard.

Good catch, kmiele.

27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You're right---I was busy helping you figure out how to change the oil that day.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I get some valvetrain noise from the 57 235 thats in my 37,I did not think to rebuild the rocker arms when going through the motor so it looks like I will have to do it sometimes soon.

29. 6inarow

6inarow

After you left I put the used stuff back in - oil doesnt wear out

30. Truckedup

Truckedup

Sounds like a leaky compression hole in the exhaust worn out engine.