Register now to get rid of these ads!

Champion Radiators..any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Feb 7, 2011.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

I'm in the market for a radiator for my '47 ford coupe with 350 v8.Champion Radiator has a super low price for a aluminum unit,100% guarantee,for 220.00 or so.Has anyone here on the HAMB ever used one?:cool:

2. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Many people have different opinions about these but from what I found out a lot of them that sort of bad mouth them have never even used one. I have a 3 core/row whatever it is in my 1984 el camino running a mild 350 sbc and so far the highest I have seen is about 166 with a 180 degree stat. I haven't had a chance to drive it in hot weather but that is what it runs at when its about 65 degrees out. Mines been working fine but the cap that comes with them seems kind of cheap so I used a different one.

3. Ice man

Ice man

If it leaks your SCREWED. Get a Walker and done. Iceman

4. Jake H.

Jake H.

I bought one for an O/T Buick with a small block. Worked great. Nicely TIG'ed together. All metal.

Sold the car and the new owner has no complaints.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

That Champion is no doubt Chinese made for $220. I'm with Ice Man, buy a Walker. Had one in my 46 Ford, it was a direct bolt in and was in the car for ten years and still going strong when I sold it. I learned a long time ago when it comes to brakes, cooling and steering buy the best.

6. There go the guys that don't have one injecting their crap again. I have used several and never had any problems, cools good, fit is good. For the price they can't be beat.

autoworx1 and pecker head like this.
  7. Master of None

Master of None

Where are you finding these radiators? I got a client looking for a cheap repalcement for a car he's going to eventually sell.

8. rainh8r

rainh8r

Walker does make a nice unit, but at $654 and $810, they had better be. You could buy one aluminum unit for the car, one for a spare, and still have over $200 left for other parts. Not everyone can afford the price of Walker's any more, and the aluminum units seem to work fine in every one I've seen. They are thin, so repairs can be a problem, but if you don't break them, they do the job.

pecker head likes this.
  9. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I have installed three and bought three more for friends who have had no problems.
    Great radiator for the price.

10. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

They can be found on Ebay. For the money they work well, but they're definitely Chinese. Personally, for my own cars I prefer local (US) stuff.

11. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

That's another thing I was going to mention is that everyone tells you to buy walker, be cool, all those other ones that are like $500+. Not everyone can afford those. The champions work and cool great for the price and are pretty good quality.

12. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Ours never has a problem. We called them to see if we could pick it up instead of going through eBay, because they are in socal. Nice people when we got there, no hassles whatsoever.

13. 53mercury

53mercury

I installed one from Northern. Very nice unit, all tig welded. $230 for a large one 2-1" cores. Its a universal fit ford style(many sizes available). Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. banditomerc

banditomerc

Thanks for the info.Where in socal are they?

15. TexasT23

TexasT23

I have a buddy with a 47 Ford and a 4 row walker with AC and in stop and go traffic he has to turn off his AC even with a 2800 cfm fan or it starts to get hotter than a 3 pecker billy goat. I have a tbucket with the a 2 row champion with 350 hp and no fan and it wont get above 190 degrees

16. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

I've had one in my '36 pickup for 11 years and it's one of the few things that has never given me any sort of problem.
    I may be buying another one tomorrow. I talked to a tech guy there about compromising on a small unit to fit my size limits and other specs and it looks like I'll still be under $250 with a radiator that fills out my grill shell perfectly even after they change the inlet and outlet to suit me and add a different mounting bracket that I want.

17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i have used 4 in different cars and trucks with no problems

18. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

ive used 2 in personal cars and about 10 in customer cars and have had no complaints.

19. I have one in my o/t, works fine.
    Fits good.
    Not as pretty as some, also about 1/3 the price of some.
    If you aren't worried about looking factory, it's a pretty reasonable alternative.

20. Sorry, I didn't look at the original post date.
    Hopefully by now you've made up your mind.

Truck64 likes this.
  21. greenon61

greenon61
    from Dayton

Put one in my '63 Galaxie 390 two years ago, it fit perfectly and I haven't had any problems with it.
    Quality and price very good.

22. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I have a champion in my 41 I bought it direct from them this thing works to good i may have to put in a 180 stat. have 160 how my 32 has a Walker the dam thing is always leaking or coming apart they are not worth the asking price

23. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

Bought a Champion today. The people I dealt with were as good at putting the customer first as any I have bought from.
    It's been 12 years since I bought the last one and it was a common off the rack unit about early mustang size with Chevy fittings, it was about a hundred bucks and well spent.

24. I buy them on eBay, the vendor is radiators4less and shipping is free. At the time Champion wanted $30 to ship one.